Day 1...here...but I'm been yo-yoing for 40 years

Options
It seems like I've been gaining and losing the same pounds for years but now that I'm over 50 everything just got harder. When I went to an endocronolist about 20 years ago after a complete exam including resperatory test for my Basic Metabolic Rate, I was told that I basically have the metabolism of a corpse..but they don't know why because everything else is normal. About 6 years ago I was at my ideal weight but when I got into a car accident I became a bit more sedentary. So I switched up the excercise but I started gaining weight even though I was walking more than 4 miles a day and really watching what I ate. Once again, back to the endocronologist who told me I wasn't eating enough carbs and sent me to a nutritionist. When I added the carbs I gained even more weight. But I think I may be unconciously cheating by nibbling when I'm stressed out which is almost all the time. That's why I signed up here to keep myself honest and to get the support I need without dealing with WW or other groups. I am a cancer survivor of 15 years and counting and the surgery, which saved my life so I am not complaining mind you, also contributed to my weight gain.

I am not horribly overweight but I would really like to lose about 20-25 pounds instead of the slow creeping weight gain every year. I hate to get on the scale and when I go to the doctor, I always get on backwards and ask them to change numbers back to 0 before I turn around.

I walk about 2-3 at 3.5 miles at 3.5 MPH (if I go faster, I cheat and hold on) every other day and try to do some sort of strength training too but I really need to be more disciplined, stick to a real program and be consistent and not lie to myself. I skip meals at times because I'm really not hungry and am so afraid to eat even a small portion of pasta or pizza that I don't really enjoy what I AM eating. I found this site and told my daughter, pepamint83 about it. She's been lecturing me for the past few days to join because I am really unhappy about how my clothes fit and how my body is changing as I get older. I want to stay healthy because my mom is really obese and diabetic.

I need to stop yo-yoing, eat a balanced diet and really get with the system and find a way to eat healthy so I can BE healthy and also look better and feel more positive about myself. Thanks for reading

Replies

• iwant2stayhealthy
    Options
    It seems like I've been gaining and losing the same pounds for years but now that I'm over 50 everything just got harder. When I went to an endocronolist about 20 years ago after a complete exam including resperatory test for my Basic Metabolic Rate, I was told that I basically have the metabolism of a corpse..but they don't know why because everything else is normal. About 6 years ago I was at my ideal weight but when I got into a car accident I became a bit more sedentary. So I switched up the excercise but I started gaining weight even though I was walking more than 4 miles a day and really watching what I ate. Once again, back to the endocronologist who told me I wasn't eating enough carbs and sent me to a nutritionist. When I added the carbs I gained even more weight. But I think I may be unconciously cheating by nibbling when I'm stressed out which is almost all the time. That's why I signed up here to keep myself honest and to get the support I need without dealing with WW or other groups. I am a cancer survivor of 15 years and counting and the surgery, which saved my life so I am not complaining mind you, also contributed to my weight gain.

I am not horribly overweight but I would really like to lose about 20-25 pounds instead of the slow creeping weight gain every year. I hate to get on the scale and when I go to the doctor, I always get on backwards and ask them to change numbers back to 0 before I turn around.

I walk about 2-3 at 3.5 miles at 3.5 MPH (if I go faster, I cheat and hold on) every other day and try to do some sort of strength training too but I really need to be more disciplined, stick to a real program and be consistent and not lie to myself. I skip meals at times because I'm really not hungry and am so afraid to eat even a small portion of pasta or pizza that I don't really enjoy what I AM eating. I found this site and told my daughter, pepamint83 about it. She's been lecturing me for the past few days to join because I am really unhappy about how my clothes fit and how my body is changing as I get older. I want to stay healthy because my mom is really obese and diabetic.

I need to stop yo-yoing, eat a balanced diet and really get with the system and find a way to eat healthy so I can BE healthy and also look better and feel more positive about myself. Thanks for reading
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat all of your calories and eat small meals frequently. That will help your metabolism as much as possible. I have been obeses all my life and have always been given these 1200-1400 calorie diets that made me gain. My first week of WW when I was in third grade I gained 7 lbs and I was following the plan exactly even my lunches were packed for me. The next week I said forget it and went back to eating everything I wanted to and lost 4 lbs. I think the doctors' plans have been keeping my body in starvation mode and I gained and gained. Well now I know the secret and with MFP I am going to lose and lose! We can do this together! :drinker: Welcome!
    Amy:bigsmile:

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great site and I think you will enjoy it - it definately keeps you honest but only if you are honest in your input. I know that for gals "our age" the pounds hang on a lot tighter than they did 30 or even 20 years ago... in the end, it's all about being healthy and this site has truly helped me become aware of what I am eating that is healthy and what is not. Be strong, be healthy - you can do this! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
    lulu
  • nwfamilygal
    Options
    Welcome and congrulations for taking the first step of being here. I was where you are and still need to loose quite a bit myself. But I love it here so much support. I don't mean by being sick just the yo yo dieting. Just read the posts and you will learn a lot. The people on here are awsome. :happy: Remember to drink your water cause that helps and fruits and veggies :happy:
  • iwant2stayhealthy
    Options
    Thanks all of you...:happy: I will be honest with my input and I'll try not to skip meals or not eat carbs or fruit because I think my body thinks its hibernating or in crises and holds onto every ounce it can. I'll try the smaller more frequent meals too, that sounds like it might be the right thing for me. 20 years ago, my hubby and I went on WW..He lost 45lbs I gained 10..:grumble: ..so that was it for me.

I appreciate the support..and the welcome.:heart:

gingey