Is my body going into starvation mode?

I don't eat all the calories it tells me to but i dont feel hungry at all...sooo is that bad or what will it still be hard for me to lose this weight?

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    You are hardly eating. You should at least try to eat 1200 calories a day. I would say "yes" to your question.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Definitely eating way too little. Try eating some fruits/veggies :wink:
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 904 Member
    Add some nuts, avocado, olive oil, or higher (healthy) cals to menu.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Considering the fact that you've had mostly negative NET or <500 NET days the answer is absolutely "yes". You need to increase your intake dramatically and develop the proper balance between calorie intake and calorie burn that will allow you to healthily achieve your goals.

Cheers.

Candy
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    You cannot live on the amount of calories you are taking in! You must at least 1200 and probably 1400 a day. As other's have said, you need a balance between workouts and calorie intake.

Good Luck!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    you need to eat more. Dairy helps you lose.. add some milk, cheese or yogurt. May want to keep an eye on your sodium too.. Pretty sure your lunch and dinner would meet your sodium levels for the week... lol
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    I usually only eat my original 1460, you should get at least 1200 cals a day I try not to use my excercise calories, it just works better for me that way. You have to eat to lose!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    I'm not a big believer in the magic 1,200 calorie number. Do what is right for your body... it will let you know what the right number is. With that said, 600 calories or less is basically a starvation diet and not recommended. This not only deprives your body of the basic nutrients it needs to function on a daily basis... it is not helping you learn how to eat sensibly to help keep your weight off over time. As you age, this kind of eating habit will do more harm than good. Good luck to you!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    In my opinion, your diet needs a major overhaul.

You need to intake more calories, and scrap most of the crap you're eatting

That would be a good start
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    It is especially important to eat in the morning - a healthy big breakfast. I know - difficult for those of us not used to it. Once you do, however, you REALLY start needing and wanting it. Don't like breakfast foods? My friend does a Boca burger on a thin bun (Oroweat). Even a yummy protein shake to sip all morning would be great.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    I think you're not hungry because your metabolism is knocked out of whack. Increase your calories over the next week, continue eating like that for the next few weeks and your metabolism should kick back in action. Right now you're holding onto everything you eat and then some.

If you are really logging everything you eat, then you should eat more. If you aren't logging, then start doing so.
  • JamesonsMommy took the words right out of my mouth re: sodium. You may want to opt to keep track of that, too. I can almost TASTE the sodium just reading the word "SPAM", and anytime I use the noodles, I always use extra water and only 1/2 the flavor packet.

I get the 'starvation mode' alert almost every day, but I come within 10 calories per day of my goal. You are only hurting yourself by eating as low as you are. you have the will...now look for the way! : )

Good luck to you, and be kind to your body and it will deliver you positive results! :drinker: :drinker: And remember your water!

And take "4lafz" seriously...look at her awesome results! :smooched:
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    I am eating 900 a day and most would consider this way too low. The only reason my doc said this is ok is that I am trying to qualify for gastric surgery.

You don't look very heavy based on your pic.

You would most likely do fine on 1000 or 1200 a day and would have more energy to work out.

I did what you are doing for a year and really messed up my metabolism. You can't help but lose weight on what you are eating but when you start eating normally again you are likely to gain weight quickly.

I got down to 150 lbs on what you are eating but ballooned up over 250 within a year when I started eating a normal 2000 calorie diet.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Not only do you need to eat more, you need to eat better.

Lean meats
    Green veggies
    Fruits, etc..

You're not doing your body any favors by starving it. :flowerforyou:
  • Norton1971
    Norton1971 Posts: 32 Member
    You are eating way too little. Need to increase your calorie intake or your body will definately go into starvation mode. Remember when you loose weight fast because of lack of food, you do not loose fat but muscle and water and as soon as you start eating again, you will gain very quickly.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    It's diaries like yours that scare me. Sorry.

Yes, you are eating way, way, way too little. When I did a research paper on anorexia, I read about daily food intakes that are very similar to yours. Please, before you do yourself real harm, start eating food. If you have been eating like this for a long time, you may have already started do yourself harm.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Not only do you need to eat more, you need to eat better.

Lean meats
    Green veggies
    Fruits, etc..

You're not doing your body any favors by starving it. :flowerforyou:

I have to agree. Skip the Spam, Ramen noodles, etc. Shop the perimeter of your local grocery store and look for fresh fruit, vegetables, lean meats and dairy. Try to stick to foods in their natural form and cook at home. Pass by anything in a box or can. Pre-package and processed foods will not assist in your weight loss journey... no matter how little of it you eat. You can do this!
  • Alright. I know I'm not eating the most healtiest meals right now but it's all i have. I'm 19 and living on my own and barly got a job. Spam and noodles are prety much what I've got to live on until my food stamps kick in on the 12th....doing all i can with what i got... =/
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Can you eat more of the things you have then until you can afford to get some healthy foods? Have you tried couponing? Is there a clearance section of your store? Ask!! Some kind of food bank??

You're eating dangerously low amounts, and could end up doing damage, getting burnt out, going into starvation mode etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Alright. I know I'm not eating the most healtiest meals right now but it's all i have. I'm 19 and living on my own and barly got a job. Spam and noodles are prety much what I've got to live on until my food stamps kick in on the 12th....doing all i can with what i got... =/

This sounds tough, but please try to eat more... at this point I don't think it matters too much exactly what you eat, just just need to get more calories in each day, you can't stay healthy eating like this.

If you search "budget recipes" you'll find lots of info and ideas for low cost meals. I know people on here are full of great ideas and are happy to help.

Things like lentils cook up into dahl pretty quicky and fill you up and have some good nutrition.
    Look for the clearance corner in your supermarket to see if they have bags of bargain veggies that you can cook into soup or casserole. Add your noodles and spam to these if that's what in the cupboard and you will be much better off in terms of nutrition.

Take care