Trouble Dropping Weight (PCOS?)

Options
*sigh* I lost 3 pounds last week and I was so thrilled I was dancing. This week the scale says I gained 8.... WTH? I did just start the 30 day shred, mostly to help boost my metabolism and change up what my body was used to (walking) to see if that would help, so I'm sure some of that is water in my muscles. But it's so discouraging. Since March of 2011 I've been either on weight watchers or watching my calorie intake, cut soda pretty much out of my life (maybe have one once a month, or twice) drink tons of water, eat 5 fruits and veggies a day, try to stick to whole grains, and I've only lost and maintained around a 10 pound loss. If I was like 190 pounds, I could understand, but I'm at 286ish and stuck. Why? Why won't my body lose the weight?

The only think my doc could tell me is that I may have PCOS, which terrifies me because I want children very badly, And I know the weight is a hinderance, which is why I've spent 6 months being healthy to help lose. But 10 pounds in 6 months at my weight seems so ridiculously low. Before this year, for 5 years I was stuck around 250-260 and I thought that was horrible. But the same thing would happen. Drop 10 pounds, and be stuck for months. I don't know what to do. I've tried talking to my doc, but I don't think he understands how concerned I am. I"m happy that I mananged to get my blood pressure under control, but I really don't want to be this weight anymore.

Any one have any ideas? Does PCOS hinder weight loss? If so, have you guys done anything different that helped?

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Well since you just started the 30DS is it very common to have a gain in weight when starting a new workout, especially at a level you are not accustomed to. It usually lasts a couple weeks. Unless you ate a great deal of sodium to cause you to retain water as well.
  • mcivabowden
    Options
    I have PCOS, it is hard to lose weight but you definitely can do it. I have lost 35lbs so far. How many calories are you eating daily? What about protein?
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    It's easier to help if your diary is open and you give a clear account of your exercise besides 30 day shred.
  • skinnyminniexx
    skinnyminniexx Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i also PCOS and it is more difficult to lose weight. my doctor put me on metformin which does help. but we lose weight slower than other people because of the way our bodies work. the PCOS makes our bodies produce more insulin which makes you gain weight, which is why it's such a struggle to lose. for me, it's just something that i have to accept. so i don't set my goals too high and i let my body lose the weight at whatever pace it wants to. but talk to your doctor. there are also certain foods that you should NOT eat like white flour foods-corn, rice, and potatoes-and foods high in sugar-foods with a lot of added sugar and foods with high natural sugar levels like melon. try cutting those out of your diet and see if it helps.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, too. First of all, your doctor needs to do lab work to verify whether that is what you have. If your doctor seems a little clueless about PCOS, seek a second opinion. You may have to push for the lab work, too. Do you have male-pattern hair growth anywhere on your body? That's often an indication. Also, are your TOMs bad? Heavy, lots of cramping? That's another indicator.

If the doctor verifies that you have PCOS, ask him to put you on medication, at least for awhile. Most people take Glucophage (generic version is Metformin). I took it for awhile, but it upset my stomach, so I stopped. I'm considering restarting it when I go to the doc later this month, but I'm not sure. I'm dealing with a lot of acid reflux right now, and I'm not sure I want to add something else to upset my stomach. When I was on it and eating right, without even really exercising much, I lost 45 pounds.

The other thing you need to do is cut carbs considerably, and you need to cut sugar out of your diet NOW. PCOS is an overproduction of testosterone in the body, causing insulin resistance. Your body will dump out excessive amounts of insulin trying to prevent you from becoming diabetic. It throws all the other hormones in your body out of whack, including the hormones that cause the release of your eggs from the ovaries. That why the cysts form in your ovaries; the hormone is thrown off kilter, so the egg doesn't release, causing a cyst to form. This does not mean you CAN'T get pregnant; it will just be more difficult. You may have to resort to some fertility meds at some point. But if you get your weight under control and watch the sugar (you need to eat like a diabetic), it will be easier.

Feel free to friend me; I know what you're going through!
  • momof3G8kids
    Options
    Well, this is exactly my problem, lose 10 pounds and being stuck for another however many months. I weigh 220, but I'm not dropping quickly like everyone else says a heavy person should drop pounds. I'm going to have to look into this PCOS, to see if that is a possibility for me?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Well, this is exactly my problem, lose 10 pounds and being stuck for another however many months. I weigh 220, but I'm not dropping quickly like everyone else says a heavy person should drop pounds. I'm going to have to look into this PCOS, to see if that is a possibility for me?

PCOS manifests differently in every woman, but the one common denominator is bad TOMs. Are yours heavy? Do you cramp a lot? Another common one that manifests at varying levels is hirsutism (male-pattern hair growth-due to too much testosterone).

PCOS is one of the top 6 misdiagnosed conditions in women, so be prepared if your OBGYN scoffs at the idea. I had been to about 6 GYNs over the years (due to moving and such) before one finally picked up on the fact that I had it. It's confirmed by a lab workup. They look for hormone levels and such.
  • grrlshannon
    Options
    Dr says I have PCOS too. i can get down about 30lbs and STOP. like you, i have enough weight to lose that this is SOOOO frustrating. for me, 30lbs only changes my body about one size of clothes. i have also done WW...off and on for about a decade. the longest time without stopping was like 2 years. i lost that little bit of weight and then just maintained. i couldn't continue to pay $35 a month to see the same number every week...so i quit, gained some weight and found MFP. this def is coming off slower, but I am hoping that i will not hit the "stuck number"...we will see. i don't really have any advice...sorry...just letting you know you are not alone and that i fully understand your frustration. keep your head up, don't give up and GOOD LUCK...we ARE worth this :)
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had trouble losing weight due to PCOS as well. I would lose but it was terribly slow and it didn't take long before I was very discouraged. My main method was counting calories; which is fine, it works for many people but with PCOS, the key really lies in keeping away from the carbs - even the whole grain kind. You need carbs to function so don't go all crazy and eat so little that you're giving youself a killer headache, weak, etc. I try and keep my carbs around 80 -100 and always keep my protein either even or higher than the carbs. That means you'll likely have to cut out some fruit as well. Nothing wrong with a piece or two but find the lowest carb/sugar fruits and go sparingly on them but eat vegetables (especially green ones) like there's no tomorow. You do need to try and avoid carrots; again, they're good for you but they're high in carbs/sugar. Same thing for potatoes (regular and sweet). But broccoli, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, endives, and many others - pile 'em on! And lastly, avoid all the low sugar, low fat, sugar free, etc products as well as any packaged meals. All they do is substiture the sugar with chemical sugars and it's no better. You're better off eating the real thing just in moderation. For instance, Yoplait yogurt is good as far as calories but it's full of aspartame (and carbs). They also promote the protein in their Greek yogurt line but it's still chock full of carbs as well. Buy Chobani or Fage greek yogurt and they have huge protein amounts with very few carbs and then toss in a few berries; in the end it might come out the same calories wise but it will be lower carb and at least you're getting fresher, more organic (although not fully of course) food instead of processed and chemicals which is much better for you and the PCOS and keeps you full much longer. If you don't find it sweet enough, add a touch of herbal Stevia (REAL Stevia, not Truvia or other cut versions). It's really helped the weight loss (13 lbs in 2 weeks at about 1200-1500 calories a day) and I haven't even started exercising or getting in nearly all my water. I hadn't had a TOM in 6 months and it returned just in the 2 weeks so not only has it been beneficial for the weight loss but it's helped other PCOS symptoms as well.
  • cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    Options
    Yep - I know that frustration. It turned out to be PCOs for me... well actually it's insulin resistance that's caused by insulin resistance.
    This time last year I was having trouble losing anything at all, I'd been doing everything I should have been doing in the way of exercise and put on weight over 3 months (2 kg). I had changed my diet dramatically. - no soft drink, so fruit juice.
    Between Sept and Feb I made more changes. Primarily my goal was to get rid of my insulin resistance without taking medication.
    For october and november I cut out all rice and potatoes. I started losing weight very slowly.
    For december I ignored diet and enjoyed christmas and I went back to my starting weight.
    In January I followed this.... ( note I tried to make sure all my carbs were Low or atleast lower GI) 30g of Carbs for breakfast, 15g of carbs for snack 3-4 hours later, 30g of carbs for lunch 3-4 house later, 15g of carbs for snack 3-4 hours later, and 15g of carbs for dinner 3-4 hours later.
    I had 2 pieces of fruit a day - but no bananas - usually berries or apples. I couldn't have oranges or any citrus because I can't stop at one. These counted as part of the carbs of snacks or meals.
    I found whole grain bread which was 15g of carbs a slice.

You need to try to keep a balance of sugar levels - if you have PCOS/insulin resistance , it's not just about losing weight it's about what insulin does in your body if you have to much of it.
    You just have to see it this way....
    Sugar is poison, White bread is poison, Fruit juice is poison, Pop is poison, Artificial Sweeteners are poison. Dried fruit is not you friend.

If you have a sweet tooth try agave syrup - but really if you have a sweet tooth you just have to be really disciplined and start telling you love the things that are low GI. I love frozen berries they are my chocolate replacement much harder to eat quickly because they are frozen.

Most importantly - it's the fat on your stomach that's the killer - it's 'hormonally active'. The science says that cardiovascular exercise is essential to manage insulin resistance, interval training ( fast for 30 secs slow for 30 secs is even better. I don't know 30 days of shred, but what ever you do be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone.

I did this and I lost 5 kg in about 2 months
    In feb I had my blood glucose tolerance blood tests again and was told I had managed to get a control of the condition. To come back when I wanted to have children and they can make my chances as good as anyone else's my age.

You will lose weight but it is harder, and slower, you have to be in for the long haul. the First 8kg is the key - it's the hardest, and if it's too hard you can find some medicines to help you - like metformin. Once you lost the first 8kg you might not need the medicine any more.

I put 3 kgs on over winter here because I got a new job and stopped being so organised - you do need to diet plan and exercise plan and stick to it.

But I tell you now I'm trying to lose again and I am happy because it's coming off much easier than it did this time last year. I am still thinking about food too much, that's where I am concentrating now.

You talk about putting weight on - that's could be the new exercise regime as previous responder, salt in your diet ( pop has lots of salt - that's why it has so much sugar) or it can be TOM.
    I always go up 2 or 3kg on Sunday until Wednesday because I have a high salt diet on Saturday night.

Also make sure you doctor gets you to do blood tests for not just glucose tolerance test, and hormones, but also for Thyorid Activity.
  • momof3G8kids
    Options

PCOS manifests differently in every woman, but the one common denominator is bad TOMs. Are yours heavy? Do you cramp a lot? Another common one that manifests at varying levels is hirsutism (male-pattern hair growth-due to too much testosterone).

Yes, this sounds like me, I have very heavy ones, bad cramps, and have had ovarian cysts on and off, but after about 6 ultrasounds, my gynecologist still insist I probably have endometriosis, but I don't know whether to believe that is all I really have.
    PCOS is one of the top 6 misdiagnosed conditions in women, so be prepared if your OBGYN scoffs at the idea. I had been to about 6 GYNs over the years (due to moving and such) before one finally picked up on the fact that I had it. It's confirmed by a lab workup. They look for hormone levels and such.
  • momof3G8kids
    Options

Yes, this sounds like me, I have very heavy ones, bad cramps, and have had ovarian cysts on and off, but after about 6 ultrasounds, my gynecologist still insist I probably have endometriosis, but I don't know whether to believe that is all I really have.