Desperate to start running for fitness... PLEASE HELP.

Options
Hello there. Thankyou for looking at my post. I am hoping to start running this week. I have been walking regularly and feel it's time to up my game and motivation and start pounding the pavements round my very picturesque village haha.

I am an absolute begginner as I havent ran for years apart from on a treadmill. I have a significant amount of weight to lose and my doctor def encourages me to do exercise. What would you say is a good programme. I have some new balance trainers for running. I was thinking of starting like this.

3 times a week WEEK 1. Walk for 5 mins and slow jog for 2 mins repeat 4 times or is this lame :O)

Then up it to WEEK 2 Walk for 4 mins run for 3 mins and repeat 5 times.

until every week there is an increase... Please help as you have proberly guessed Im rubbish thankyou all x

Replies

• Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Try C25k. Its an app you download on your phone & slowly builds up your runs over a 9 week (or less) period. It's a great program!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    you may want to start the running even less time than that like 30-90 seconds if you are a real begginer. what about 30 seconds run 2 min power walk etc or a little more :)
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You can google "couch to 5K" it is a great program and has really helped me so much with my running.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Actually, your plan sounds a lot like the C25K (Couch to 5k) program. Even if you're not planning on running a 5k race, the program is great. Remember though, running on pavement is WAY different than running on a treadmill :)
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Try "Couch to 5k". It is a running program for beginners that is stretched out over 9 weeks. It's 3 days a week and slowly builds you up so you can run a 5k :)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Good luck and happy running!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Definitely do the couch to 5 k running program. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

it's a 9 week program and it really works. i'm still 100 lbs overweight and when i started i couldnt even run for one minute. 7 weeks later and i'm running for 20 mins. then google c25K podcasts. you'll find a variety of podcasts with different kinds of music that cue you when to run and when to walk. there's even an app for iPhone that you can play over your own music. check it out.

if you can't complete a week, just do it over again. it's not a race. you can totally do it!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    That's not lame at all and you are NOT rubbish, silly! :P

Interval training is great! Don't even feel bad to start with 30 sec. - 1 minute of jogging/running until you feel more comfortable.

If you have a track to run on, you could start by walking the long stretches and running the shorts until you feel comfortable and then switch it.

I would recommend getting a GYMBOSS (http://gymboss.com/) or something similar where you can preset your times . . . then, it will beep when it is time to walk and then beep when it is time to run. This will ensure that you will stay on track and you won't have to keep looking at your watch.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    U can do 30/60's and then 60/120's. Sprint for 30 secs, walk for 60 secs. Do that like 5-10 times. When that gets easy, move on to 60/120's Sprint for 60 seconds, walk for 120 secs. It helps to condition for when you want to run an entire mile or more ;-)
  • stampingirl22
    stampingirl22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    C25K is a good program - 9 weeks it begins very gradual; we are up to jogging 25 minutes- I've made it past 20 a couple of times (I am really around 17-18 before I have to take a 1 minute breather) - hoping this week, I can push on through everyday! 3 days per week on your running - and it suggests you do strength training/cardio like walking on your off days.
  • wtorc
    wtorc Posts: 9
    Options
    go to runnersworld.com and follow the beginners program.......wts
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Just like everyone else...C25k! I started last fall. Now i can go out for a 4 mile run with no problem! It works. Just follow the program and dont try to do too much too soon. If you feel you need to repeat a week do it.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I have got on the website now and taking notes thankyou x
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    C25K! :D I'm just adding another recommendation to the mix - it was AWESOME and does the intervals like how you've said :)
    I did the C25K years ago and can still run 5k, just today I've started the "Gateway to 8k" :D
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the C25K program as well...:bigsmile:
  • gariettafalls
    gariettafalls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for making an effort in this regard. I will tell you how I started running because it worked well for me. I was the kid in high school who hated running with a passion. After I graduated I vowed never to run again.....anyway,that changed after I hit my mid to late twenties and started gaining a lot of weight. I started by going on the treadmill (I didn't want anyone to see me ). I would walk for two minutes then run for two minutes at 4.5 mph. ANd repeat, I simply did that for thirty minutes. Over time I would increase the amount of time I was running. there is a great book you should get by Bob Glover called "The Runner's Handbook". It has training programs for absolute beginners broken down day by day and week by week. It was a great source of advice about everything you need to know about running at this stage. ANd lots of info about how to progress if you want to

Good luck!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Another one for COUCH TO 5K!!! Its great.
    Good luck xxx
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Good luck! The links some people put up look interesting and along the lines of what you want. I will be trying too!

bump
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Same thing as everyone else, recommend the couch 2 5k program! Just remember to take it slow, slower than you think you need to!

I, too, was worried about the extra weight I was carrying and how it would affect me. Now all I think about is how incredibly light I will feel when I run and have lost all that weight!

Good luck, it is highly addictive, and wonderfully fun!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Options
    I look forward to day one tomorrow. I will let you all know how it goes haha.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Options
    Thankyou so much for your time. I will check that book out. I am so motivated this time round that im prettty sure that if I incoperated the running into my weekly routine I would feel so much more active. I am going to give the couch to 5k programme a shot from tomorrow. thankyou again x