Go for 2 & 5! 2 serves of fruit, 5 serves of vegetables eve

Options
Here's some nutritional ideas to get more fruit and vegies into your day, a Australian government health initiative.

Tips to get 2&5 in your day
It's easy to Go for 2&5™. Simply add an extra serve to the meals and snacks you already eat.

Fruit
Breakfast
Add to breakfast cereal or yoghurt
Top toast with sliced bananas
Grate apple and pear into pancake mix
Blend soft fruit like bananas, strawberries or canned fruit with skim milk, yoghurt and ice for a frothy fruit smoothie
Snacks
Pack fresh fruit for a quick snack at any time
Freeze bananas, grapes, strawberries and oranges for an icy snack
Puree fruit and pour into ice-block moulds to add to drinks
Add fresh or dried fruit to muffin and cake mixtures
Main meals
Include dried fruit to recipes for stuffings
Add fruit to savoury salads
Add fruit to baked fish or chicken
Add chopped dried fruit to couscous (eg. apricots or apple)
Desserts
Chop fruit into bite-sized pieces and thread onto skewers for a colourful kebab
Cut into pieces, add to a parfait glass with yoghurt
Serve fresh seasonal fruit for dessert
Puree stewed fruit as a topping for desserts or swirl into yoghurt
Vegetables
Breakfast
Top toast with cooked mushrooms, tomatoes, capsicum or sweet corn
Chop and add to an omelette or savoury pancake
Heat chopped leftover vegetables and serve as a topping for toast; add an egg or reduced-fat cheese for a more substantial meal
Snacks
Top English muffins or crumpets with diced vegetables and sprinkle with reduced-fat cheese for a quick mini pizza
Serve carrot and celery sticks, florets of broccoli and cauliflower, and strips of capsicum with a low fat dip
Grate or dice onion, carrot, zucchini, potato and corn into a savoury muffin or pikelet mixture
Grate beetroot and butternut pumpkin to add colour to your salad or sandwich
Main meals
Make meat go further by adding extra vegetables to a stir-fry or casserole
Add vegetables in season or legumes (eg. dried beans, peas or lentils) to soups for added flavour and taste
Add extra vegetables, dried peas, beans or lentils to recipes for: meatloaves, patties and stuffings, stews and casseroles, pies, nachos, pasta and rice dishes, pizza and pancakes
Always serve main meals with cooked vegetables or a salad
Use capsicum, zucchini, pumpkin, eggplant, cabbage and lettuce leaves as edible containers with savoury fillings
For easy wedges, cut potato, sweet potato, pumpkin and parsnip into wedges, microwave until cooked; mix with a teaspoon of vegetable oil, dried mixed herbs and seasoning, and grill until crispy

More Go for 2&5™ recipes are available at http://www.gofor2and5.com.au

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    You actually don't need to eat fruit everyday. :) Most people just really enjoy it and there are vitamins present. But, for anyone who isn't a big fruit/sweets fan, don't force-feed yourself fruit. Bonus, you get to skip the fructose (sugar).
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Some good stuff up there I will try a few things myself x
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Great post - I love the go for 2 and 5 campaign, somehow the 5 a day campaign (where you could potentially eat 5 fruit and no veg) doesn't make as much sense to me!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Thanks so much.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Yeah I really love this, it's what I aim for in feeding my boys! They have both learned about the food pyramid in school too!
    Great post - I love the go for 2 and 5 campaign, somehow the 5 a day campaign (where you could potentially eat 5 fruit and no veg) doesn't make as much sense to me!
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Your welcome, your dog is very cute!
    Great advice. Thanks so much.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas in there, thanks for posting, Letitia. At the moment I'm doing it backwards, almost 5 servings of fruit per day and only about 2 of veggies!