How do you wait for the weight to come off??

Options
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice about being patient. I sometimes get caught up in a bad way of thinking, causing me to lose sight of all the good things I am doing in my diet and exercise. How can I remind myself that by doing the right things, the weight will eventually disappear? Being impatient just makes me want to throw in the towel and wreck all of my hard work. I know all good things are worth waiting (and working!) for...what can I do to keep that in the front of my mind?

Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    there is a really good quote that i have heard on MFP... 'in a years time you will wish you had started today'

it does take time, and you will get impatient, but then this is a lifestyle change for EVER... plus the weight didnt go on overnight, so it wont come off overnight either.

set yourself small goals, with non food related rewards, that should help!
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way you do and look forward to the answers i know our MFP friends will share. Have a great day :smile:
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree! I think this is why i fall off the wagon so often as I am not seeing immediate results. I second what Shad says and I look forwards to seeing the responses here
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I think its best, along with many small goals, to also have a longer goal to keep you on the path. I mark a mini goal every 10 lbs.. and my bigger goal is to complete some kind of obstacle course run by next summer. And my 10th wedding anniversary is coming up a year after that and we are planning a trip to Hawaii, and I do not want to wear my swim shirt in Hawaii.

Goals keep me patient.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I waited for years to start. My excuse? I want the weight gone NOW, and it won't happen NOW, so why bother? I finally came to terms with that in June, and on July 1st I started. I didn't concentrate on losing weight. I concentrated on measuring my food, tracking my food, drinking water, building endurance and strength. I've concentrated on becoming a new person and living a new lifestyle, because that is step 1 to losing weight and keeping it off. I've lost 40 pounds in the process.

My mistake in the past when I've tried to lose weight was obsessing over the weight loss, and thinking "Only [so many] more pounds and I can go back to being myself!" Which translated to "I only have to lose [so many] more pounds, then I can go back to being fat!"
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 100 in over six years. With lost of gaps in between due to preganncy,falling of the wagon a bit and so on. But imagine if I had never started? I would still be 100 pounds heavier and those years have flown by. I look at feel great now and it was all worth it. Doing it slowly meant that I barely put any back on and only really did due to pregnancy, losing motivation and just being generally busy to care about my appearance. I have so much confidence now. As cheesy as it sounds. Slow and steady really does win the race!
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I suppose I'm really lucky, in that I not only don't have much to lose, but I seem to drop weight really quickly as well... Hopefully that hasn't changed!

But, I agree, mini goals really do seem the best things. And measure yourself as well -- while you may not be seeing much change on the scales, you might with the measuring tape!
  • mabelebam
    mabelebam Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Patience is one of my constant battles too, and it's not easy trying to stay on track. Whenever I feel like throwing in the towel, I reread my favourite quote :"Always remember the tougher the challenge, the more reward you will get when you get thru it." It reminds me that my hard work and effort will pay off in the end in huge amounts!

That, and the one in my sig : You don't drown by falling in water. You drown by staying there. -unknown author.

Also, I read a comment on MFP, which said "You didn't put on the weight overnight, so you won't get rid of it overnight either." Harsh, but true! Hope this helps, and hang in there! You're not going through this alone...we're all here to give you support and encouragement! :))
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am not the most patient person when it comes to losing the weight but what I do that helps me keep on track is although I weigh myself each Saturday morning on the last day of the month I take all my measurements (Neck, Waist, Hips, L Thigh, R Thigh, L Biscep and R Biscep) so even if I have not seen much scale action and I measure, I seem to always see that I have lost in the measurement section. So seeing that even if I have not lost much weight but my measurements are coming down then I know that I am on the right track and to just keep plugging away at it. I measured myself on Friday and since I started on 8 Jan 2011 I have lost 5 inches from my waist alone and 5 inches from my hips so I would recommend keeping a monthly log of measurements.
  • chocoholicandbaby
    chocoholicandbaby Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I find it always helps to really remember why you're doing this. I also like to think about the way my life has improved since I've started being healthier.

An important step for me to take this time was to really focus on this as a lifestyle change. You hear people throw that phrase around all the time, and I have in the past as well, but this time I really appreciate it for what it means. Don't think of this as a 'diet' or as depriving yourself. You're actually doing yourself a favour by being healthy.

Also, as someone else pointed out, in a years time you will be glad you started today!
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I picture myself in a years time, going on holiday with the bf for the first time and being by the side of a pool wearing a bikini and having no issues about it at all.

thats how I get through, because until I eat properly and change my lifestyle, it isnt going to happen!

It'll take time but everyday I see little changes and it pushes me to keep going.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    My mistake in the past when I've tried to lose weight was obsessing over the weight loss, and thinking "Only [so many] more pounds and I can go back to being myself!" Which translated to "I only have to lose [so many] more pounds, then I can go back to being fat!"

I love your response! It sounds like focusing on eating right and working out is the way to tackle this...the rest will follow. Thanks!!
  • jwil1231
    jwil1231 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    aduncan24, good morning, how it works with me is like this...I plateau with the weight loss but I will happend to glimpse a image of myself in a mirror, or notice my pants are fitting, or my movement is a bit easier in something, and that realization tells me I'm still on track to improve and better myself.

So, while I would love, love, love to see smaller numbers - until they get here I celebrate my other mini accomplishements.

Hang in there. I'm plateaued at a 10 pound weight loss....and I want to lose 30 more. So I understand the frustration. :grumble:
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    Thanks Mabelebam!!
    Patience is one of my constant battles too, and it's not easy trying to stay on track. Whenever I feel like throwing in the towel, I reread my favourite quote :"Always remember the tougher the challenge, the more reward you will get when you get thru it." It reminds me that my hard work and effort will pay off in the end in huge amounts!

That, and the one in my sig : You don't drown by falling in water. You drown by staying there. -unknown author.

Also, I read a comment on MFP, which said "You didn't put on the weight overnight, so you won't get rid of it overnight either." Harsh, but true! Hope this helps, and hang in there! You're not going through this alone...we're all here to give you support and encouragement! :))

These ideas really help. And you're right, the fact that we're all in this together makes it all a little easier. Just looking at other people's success stories is proof that patience works!
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree that the best thing is to focus on finding a new lifestyle. I am now regularly at the gym, play badminton for 2 hours a week and eat much more healthily.
    These are things that just make me feel much better about myself and although I am only losing actual weight very slowly, I am seeing big improvements in my muscle mass, body fat percentage and, most importantly, the way I feel.

It was really hard and I had to practically wrestle myself to the gym for the first few months but now I am starting to see and feel the benefit it makes it easy to keep it up as I know it works.
  • christinaroxz
    Options
    I think its best, along with many small goals, to also have a longer goal to keep you on the path. I mark a mini goal every 10 lbs.. and my bigger goal is to complete some kind of obstacle course run by next summer. And my 10th wedding anniversary is coming up a year after that and we are planning a trip to Hawaii, and I do not want to wear my swim shirt in Hawaii.

Goals keep me patient.

Love it! Way to set goals to keep you on track! I stay on track by reminding myself of all the cute clothes I could be wearing in a few months time! What woman doesn't love a new wardrobe!

:bigsmile:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I agree that the best thing is to focus on finding a new lifestyle. I am now regularly at the gym, play badminton for 2 hours a week and eat much more healthily.
    We should meet up for a game!

OT, yes, exactly this. Don't do a short time diet plan. Do a lifelong change. Makes changes that are sustainable. So even when you're at your lowest, what you eat wont be something you're cursing, as it's perfectly fine!
  • Angie789
    Angie789 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree - mini-goals are the way to go! Because I am a former yo-yo dieter, I have been every size from an 8 to a 22 in my life. Instead of just focusing on my ultimate goal (which can seem so far away & daunting), I focus on getting down ONE MORE SIZE. I literally have a stack of jeans in my closet in each size, and I pull out the next size down as I go. When I can fit into a smaller size, it makes me feel awesome & motivated to keep going!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Mix some muffin dough.

The flour, the egg and the liquid (water/milk) do not mix well at first. It doesn't seem like they're supposed to mix at ALL. None of the ingredients seem to stick together. But you keep going, and before you know it, they start to form a dough. This is how a person changes.

Just make sure you don't eat the muffins afterwards :wink:
  • becky2967
    becky2967 Posts: 124
    Options
    i focus on why im doing this, and try not to obsess over why you still look the same for afew weeks.. but i see it as the first few weeks your geting healthy and building good food habits.. slowly you will notice just how far you have come. monthly measurements are a good idea, as you will put on muscle which is heavier than fat. good luck!