Large thighs

Options
All of my clothes are getting looser all over except around my thighs! Any suggestions on slimming my thighs? I jog for 30mins 3 days per week and try to use various exercise DVDs every other day.

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Lunges and Squats.

Squats and Lunges.

Check out any Jillian Michaels DVD, they're loaded with them!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    As a woman with large thighs, I say learn to love and embrace them. They will power you through your runs and your walks. They will spin you powerfully on a bike. They will allow you to do squats and lunges and then go back out and run! They can help you build a powerful core. You cannot spot reduce them away!
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree with flausa, not matter what i have done over the years I have learned that you will never shift those thighs. So I play rugby instead (might as well use them for some good)

I may never look the prettiest in a short skirt but i look the scariest in a pair of rugby shorts
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah. Chun Li thighs!

She makes thunder thighs sexy and so do we!

kbXOU.jpg
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am also big butt and thighs !!! But I have found the eliptical is great for toning these down !! I have tried alot of other things, and I do lift weights for lower body -- but low weights, high reps -- because if you already have them big, you do not want to lift heavy, and make them bigger -- but definetly try the eliptical !! I am do it 4-5 times a week !!

10344221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I may never look the prettiest in a short skirt but i look the scariest in a pair of rugby shorts

You're my hero for the day.

:drinker:
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    A Combo of Running/walking with some sprints has helped my thighs a lot. I've lost double the inches off my thighs as off my hips. I'm not lifting at all right now just using yoga and sprints to give the right muscle shape and hopefully tone once I get the BF% down far enough.
  • myguiltypleasure
    Options
    If you're built to have bigger thighs (like me) then they will always be larger than you would probably like. However you can tone them and make them less jiggly by doing squats.
  • lrhodes49
    lrhodes49 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For a short woman with big thighs I would like to thank Flausa and Lotte34 I really never thought about them that way. I just feel like since I am short 4'11" that I should have small thighs.
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with flausa, not matter what i have done over the years I have learned that you will never shift those thighs. So I play rugby instead (might as well use them for some good)

Ha, best attitude ever. I love it!
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I disagree with those who say you are basically stuck with the thighs you were born with :). My thighs have ALWAYS been the heaviest part of me and I thought there was nothing I could do about them. Then I bought Jillian's DVDs, which are full of lunges and squats and other thigh reducing exercises. I started at 143 with 22.5 inch thighs. I've lost between 23 and 25 pounds (depends on the day!) but lost a full 3 inches off each thigh! Yep, they are down to 19.5 inches. I actually look lean in my jeans now! I bought Jillian's new DVD, Killer Buns and Thighs a couple weeks ago, and hope to lose even more inches.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I disagree with those who say you are basically stuck with the thighs you were born with :). My thighs have ALWAYS been the heaviest part of me and I thought there was nothing I could do about them. Then I bought Jillian's DVDs, which are full of lunges and squats and other thigh reducing exercises. I started at 143 with 22.5 inch thighs. I've lost between 23 and 25 pounds (depends on the day!) but lost a full 3 inches off each thigh! Yep, they are down to 19.5 inches. I actually look lean in my jeans now! I bought Jillian's new DVD, Killer Buns and Thighs a couple weeks ago, and hope to lose even more inches.

Yeah but for some of us, it's not fat as much as muscle. When I was 125 lbs. and on the cross-country team, stunt cheer and volleyball, walked and rode my bike everywhere, my thighs were massive! I never lost that bulk. :) Some of us are, in fact, destined for a life of ripped thighs. ;p

Glad you found something that worked for YOU though!
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    You rock pelleld! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I really think that I need to invest in some of her videos! I have heard such great things!! I just hate spending the $$ sometimes (I know they're cheap but I am stingy!).

I have done some research, and unless you're taking stuff to BULK you up, you will NOT get BULKY if you do some weights. You will get TONE and they may weigh more but they will LOOK great and small! :)
  • methven
    methven Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely lunges and squats! Whilst I don't have huge thighs I used to have sadllebags. A few months of Jillian's dvds (which have loads of lunges and squats) sorted them out :-) Good luck!
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally, I posted something about thighs in response to another message yesterday relating to body shape and where/how we carry our weight. Bottom line (no pun intended) is that some of us will have larger thighs than others. We may be able to reduce the amount of fat and jiggle, but structurally, there's a limit to how lean they will get.

If you want to see some massive thighs with major muscles, look at photographs of speedskaters! They give new meaning to the term "thunder thighs."
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

You're my hero for the day.

:drinker:

Thank you! you are welcome
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    So many people have great things to say about the Jillian Michaels DVDs but I can't STAND her! I know I'd get 10 minutes in and her perma-snarly face would make me use them as coasters instead. Can't they make a version with some blisteringly hot guy trainer?!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Overall fat loss and even then, they might still hang around. Damn things.