Financial fitness group Part 1

Options
VeganInTraining
VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
Hello Everyone!

As promised, I am beginning a financial fitness support group. I would like to start by saying that I am NOT a financial expert. Anything I post is merely my own experience or a suggestion I read (more than likely from “Total Money Makeover” by Dave Ramsey) or heard (probably on daveramsey.com) Notice a theme?

So, here on this forum, I was thinking that we can all be an encouragement to each other. If you are comfortable with it, post your total debt and the priority with which you will be paying it off. If not, then try and at least put up your goals for the week or month. I know that when I say out loud to another human being “I’m going to put $600 extra toward debt this month.” I am much more likely to stick with it.

I am using Dave Ramsey’s “baby steps” to financial freedom. Step number 1 is to have a $1000 dollar emergency fund. If you do not have $1000 in savings I HIGHLY recommend that become your first priority. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR GOAL FOR THE MONTH IF YOU DO NOT ALREADY HAVE IT! 1000 is enough to take care of basic emergencies and will keep you from using your credit cards if something should happen. Any time that an emergency happens (no, having a break up and wanting to go on a shopping spree is NOT an emergency!) you go back to step one and refurnish your fund. Having this fund was a life saver when I went to resign my lease and my landlord informed me she is going to sell my house rather than resign my lease. I was able to find a new place without using a credit card for anything and then got my savings back to 1000 before continuing with step 2 which is the debt snowball.

I am currently on the debt snowball meaning I am putting all of my “extra” cash toward my smallest debt. I have a budget, I only spend the cash that I budgeted for the month and all the rest goes toward debt. If you don’t tell your money where to go it will just disappear. I make sure I budget 20 a week for my husband and I to go out to dinner when we need to get out of the house. After I pay off my cheapest credit card, the minimum from that card as well as my “extra” money goes to my next smallest card.

If anyone is on any of the further steps I will let them tell you about it! 

If you are like me, you have spent countless hours googling “how to save money,” “how to spend less on groceries,” and a million other tips for saving money. This is a good place to share what you have found and your own experience.

OK, enough from me, let’s hear from you! Who are you? What made you join this group? How old are you? What’s your favorite money saving tip? And any other information you feel like sharing 

(I will be back on later to post all the information I asked for on here, my money saving tip is that I don’t have internet at home so I need to use it at work on my breaks)

Replies

• Pickedlast4gym
    Options
    Use it up, wear it out, make it due, do without!!!! Since my free fall during the recession and my husbands unemployment for 96 weeks.....i have learned a lot.

1. Read the flyers and know your prices before you buy anything.
    2. Use coupons
    3. Say no.
    4. Use cash.

I pay cash for almostnwll purchases, the debit card is just to easy to lose track of. Howwver, when you have the cash in your pocket you need to dole out, you think more.

I also bring my lunch every day. Although I am self employed, the extra 75 per week I save on feeding myself goes into mynpockets and adds up.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    It's ironic to see this post, as I was *just* musing yesterday that there ought to be some type of tool like MFP
    to log my "mindless" or "emotional" spending like I've learned accountability when it comes to what goes into my mouth/body....

Then this thought popped in my mind: they have one.....it's called a BUDGET

I think this is a good idea, but I would NOT be comfortable sharing my current $ information on a public forum-
    since there is no such thing as a *CLOSED GROUP*

I will share one thing though-

I am a recovering credit card addict- and I bit off more than I can chew- and learned my *lesson* the HARD way-
    and will NEVER have another credit card.
    For those who have them and use them responsibly, they are a tool.
    The BEST scenario- IF you use them- is to pay them off at the end of each month.

My hubby uses them for gas, etc. but writes the am't of the purchase in the checkbook register- and deducts it immediately.
    When the statement comes in, he writes a check for the FULL AM'T and carries ZERO balance, ZERO finance charges.

It would be nice to think I could be that disciplined, but for me, it isn't much different than an alcoholic who *thinks* she can drink and stop at just a little *THIS TIME*- Nope, better for me to NEVER touch that plastic again.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Dave Ramsey is an amazing/brillant man!!
    I use coupons. I am not extreme so I don' t have a stock pile of stuff but use for what I currently need.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    I love this idea!

I'm not sure how much financial info I'm comfortable sharing, but I do like the idea of being accountable to a group of people. Count me in. Thanks for starting this!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Hey Again everyone,
    I said I'd come back to post my stuff so here we go. I'm 27 years old and started this group because I need some people who are in the same boat as myself to help keep me accountable. My household has about 20,000 total in debt. WHEW typed out that looks like so much! That's about 8,000 in credit, 15,000 car and 2,000 school and that is the order in which I intend to pay it off in that order. our biggest goal is to be credit card debt free in 9 month. We are trying to have a baby and, though I'm not pregnant now, want to make sure that we don't have a ton of credit card debt when I have the a child whenever it is that God decides to bless us.

My biggest set back when I started trying to pay down debt was that I'd get paid and get excited about paying off debt, pay a lot on my cards and then not have money to live on so I'd spend money on my cards. This year hubby and I comitted to not spending any money on credit and we stuck to it, even while planning our wedding and honeymoon :)

My goal for this month? Pay off my two lowest cards which will leave me with just one card left. That means putting about 600 extra toward debt. My hubby had to take a few extra days off last month so his paychecks will be less, but we're going to make it happen! We also are doing a "no spend month." (see link for more information) http://smallnotebook.org/2008/07/01/july-is-no-spend-month-whats-it-about/
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later...will post when I have more time :-) Thanks again for this group, Emily!
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    bump, I will also post when I have more time! Thanks, this is really a great idea!
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Learning2LuvLindsay Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I am young and single so I don't have much in terms of debt [just a car payment and month-to-month payments on whatever I put on credit]. But I will say that working in the banking industry while I was in college was huge.

Firstly, I graduated college without debt. I worked my *kitten* off and while my social life and grade point average may have suffered a little bit, I am one of the few people I know who graduated college without a Sallie Mae loan [or "daddy" paying for it].

I know they are villains right now, but working for Bank of America taught me quite a bit about money management in general. I spent some time working in collections so I also saw what happens when people bite off more than they can chew or when something tragic or unforeseen comes up.

Finally, working at Bank of America allowed me to get the employee rate on a credit card--which I still have to this day. You tell me any other way that a 19 year old kid could get a 2% interest rate and I'll tell you that you're a liar. Having the card and a moderate, controllable credit line allowed me to make the major purchases of post-college life as needed.

One other thing that has been good, particularly in clothes purchases, is asking when the next sale may be. Often times, just asking can get me a 20% discount--or more--on some items. It never hurts to ask and the worst you could hear is "no."
    -wtk
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    bump
  • mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a lot of research into the Total Money Makeover in the past few months. My wife and I started the Financial Peace University home study course a couple weeks ago. We have our "Cash Flow Plan" in place and our envelope system primed for the month. Losing pounds and gaining $$$ is a great combo :)

Wishing everyone success in getting out of Debt and into health!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    good luck mike! We definitely have a "cash flow plan" in place as well

I don't know if anyone is really going to be following this or posting updates and successes. I think I mentioned that we are doing a "no spend month" this month. It's been 2 days and it's already getting hard! Friday the guys at work are organizing at bbq and everyone is supposed to pay 5 dollars to contribute. Rather than partaking in all the delicious things they will be buying I'm going to bring in my own piece of chicken and have them grill it for me....the upside is, it will probably be more nutricious than what they are making as well so that's a good thing!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Firstly, I graduated college without debt. I worked my *kitten* off and while my social life and grade point average may have suffered a little bit, I am one of the few people I know who graduated college without a Sallie Mae loan [or "daddy" paying for it].

Thats awesome! Way to go!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I am joining this!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to the Dave Ramsey website. I've perused it a bit and will go back later and come up with my plan for implementing his suggestions. I'll be back!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    So introduce yourself Kap...what brought ya here? :)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I just finished paying off all my credit card debt (about 3k) last month. I have school loans left still which currently sit at 7k. So total I would say I have to pay off 8k. I don't have a car loan/payments.
    My husband and I have a good amount saved in the bank but we are looking to buy a house so I'm really trying to save as much as possible. I need to cut down on spending a lot. If I could budget better I would be able to save 2,000 or more a month but I go overboard on eating out. I do coupon and sometimes I buy personal hygiene items at .50 with coupons like mouth wash. Last month I bought 5 tubes of toothpaste for 1 dollar and 6 boxes of kleenex for 2 bucks. It sounds like I am just bulking up on these items but they get used. They don't just sit in my closet collecting dust. So, I am doing ok there.

So, basically I just need to cut back on spending and budget better!
  • tmacs
    tmacs Posts: 60
    Options
    Bump

I'm in! I become a stay at home mom next week and things will need to change! :)
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I am a 31 year old single mom. I have ALWAYS obsessed over my credit and tried to pay everything on time in order to have good credit. I currently have about $5k credit card debt and just had to buy a new car because mine died so I owe around $15,500 on that.

It's hard for me to save a lot right now because it's just me paying the bills by myself but I'm sure I could save more than what I do which is little to nothing right now. I just got into the 401k at work for retirement. I started contributing 2% and it increases 1% every year until I reach a 10% contribution. I would love to start a college fund for my son and put some emergency money aside as well.

Other than the credit card and car, that's about all I have debt wise. I do have a few medical bills. I pull my credit every year to check for inconsistencies and actually just recently got really upset when I saw a collection on my credit report for a $200 medical bill that I PAID. I contacted the hospital and they said they send anything over that isn't paid after 4 months. I do remember the company contacting me but I actually thought I was speaking to the hospital and not a collection agent. I do remember them asking me to pay $50 a month instead of $20 but I told them $20 a month was all I could pay. I thought that was reasonable for a $200 bill. I continued paying $20 a month (to the hospital, not the collection company because I really had no idea it was in their hands) until it was paid and the company still reported it to all three credit agencies. It shows as paid but dropped my credit score from about 740 to the low 600's. I was sick over this because I have worked so hard to stay on top of my credit. I contacted the hospital and they contacted the collection agent and ask them to remove it but they wouldn't. They said that I wouldn't agree to their terms which were $50 so they weren't going to remove it. Does anyone know if there is anything else I can do? I would like to buy a house in the near future and that is the only negative thing on my credit report right now.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!! I'm in the middle of renovating my house, trying to pay off debt.....and also trying for a baby......Need lots of money!!!! LOL