how can I stop comparing my weight loss rate with other's??

grumpers
grumpers Posts: 46 Member
edited October 3 in Motivation and Support
I've lost 13 pounds since starting in June, so I should be happy, right? But I feel I must be doing something wrong when I see others who started then, too, and they have dropped 30+ pounds. I have been consistent in watching calories in, but my business commitments this last month mean I can't make it to the gym for the harder workouts I was doing over the summer, but even when I was able to devote more time to the gym, my rate of loss was the same. I suppose it is something that at least I haven't started gaining!

Any advice from those who are happy that others are achieving so well, but sort of depressed at the same time?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    You are a unique you. Our bodies and lives are different. My husband has barely been doing anything to lose weight and has lost 50lbs to my 15. He is eating fast food frequently at work and not really working out. He is different than I am, so I can't compare. I will keep doing what I need to do, and that is the best I can do. Same for you!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    in this aspect, you are a unique snowflake. many things set you apart from others, such as your gender and age, and more importantly, your starting weight and activity level. ppl heavier then you that didn't do anything will experience a bigger loss at first, but will start to slow down.

but if you really want to get discouraged, just keep comparing yourself to others.
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    You just need to understand that while you may not be where you want to be yet, your closer today than yesterday
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    You're doing wonderfully! Life happens, and that's okay. This is a lifelong commitment. Those who are losing so fast are not really making it a lifestyle change, they are just dieting. I've been there, done that...over and over again, and the weight always came back. This time it has taken me 19 months to lose 76lbs, and I know it is never coming back because I have incorporated it into my life. So, keep in mind that a slower loss is going to statistically stay off better! Drastic changes don't last.
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Everyone's body is different--don't sweat it! Do what's best for you and celebrate your loss and all your hard work. Remember--"don't let comparison steal your joy"!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    I know how you feel. It's hard not to compare your loss to others. I do it and, yes, it depresses me. And I do remind myself that I am unique, and that my journey is unique, and that it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Maybe other people will disagree with that, but that's how I look at it.

I also remind myself of where I've been compared to where I am now.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    You need to stop because it's impossible to compare yourself to anyone else because you aren't the same, your body is different, routine,intensity, food, etc are different, you have lost more weight than some and less than others. Don't worry about others, just about yourself, congratulate those that have lost more and help those that haven't. Someone out there is looking at your progress and wishing they were as far along. Just concentrate on your goals and achieving them. Good luck.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,211 Member
    in this aspect, you are a unique snowflake. many things set you apart from others, such as your gender and age, and more importantly, your starting weight and activity level. ppl heavier then you that didn't do anything will experience a bigger loss at first, but will start to slow down.

but if you really want to get discouraged, just keep comparing yourself to others.

Love this comparison! :heart:
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    I've lost 13 pounds since starting in June, so I should be happy, right? But I feel I must be doing something wrong when I see others who started then, too, and they have dropped 30+ pounds. I have been consistent in watching calories in, but my business commitments this last month mean I can't make it to the gym for the harder workouts I was doing over the summer, but even when I was able to devote more time to the gym, my rate of loss was the same. I suppose it is something that at least I haven't started gaining!

Any advice from those who are happy that others are achieving so well, but sort of depressed at the same time?

You are not alone in feeling this way. I had those same thoughts not too long ago then, I had to remind myself that we are all different. Some of us only need to lose 30 lbs whereas someone else is trying to lose 80 lbs, which the heavier person will see quicker weight loss initially. I am just happy to see "a" loss every week when I weigh in or when I go to purchase a new pair of jeans like I did Saturday and listened to the saleswoman tell me that I was a size 4 (you could've knocked me over with a feather at that point).

Try not to focus so much on what others are doing. As long as you are eating right and getting in some form of exercise you WILL reach your goal and probably keep it off for good.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    You need to stop because it's impossible to compare yourself to anyone else because you aren't the same, your body is different, routine,intensity, food, etc are different, you have lost more weight than some and less than others. Don't worry about others, just about yourself, congratulate those that have lost more and help those that haven't. Someone out there is looking at your progress and wishing they were as far along. Just concentrate on your goals and achieving them. Good luck.

I totally agree!
This discussion has been closed.