Bad to Go from 5K to Half Marathon in 4 months?

Options
Need advice from fellow runners. I completed my first 5K over the weekend and did better than expected. I had hoped to finish in 30 minutes, and I was able to turn in a 26:06 somehow. There is a half-marathon near my home Jan. 28, which means 127 days from now.

Would it be bad to train for that race starting now, while doing some 5Ks and 10Ks leading up to it? Is that enough time? My training has been smooth. I've only had two days of minor kneecap discomfort on the left side of my left knee during training and that's it. I didn't even really get sore from the race. I feel my body can handle it. I would have run 6 miles in training the other night but wanted to be strong for the race.

If somebody can point me to a good half-marathon training program with 4 months time that would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Check out www.halhigdon.com for lots of training plans for different distances.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I don't have any training programs to offer aside from spending time running lol. 4 months is plenty of time to work at it. Just don't over do it with training! =]
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't think that would be bad...I haven't actually done the math, but a local running shoe store has training groups all the time for different distances. A friend who has trained with them says they add 10% distance a week. Which seems pretty gradual. Have you done longer distances than a 5K?

I'd look into a training program like that.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That's more than enough time especially if you goal is just to finish. If you have a good training plan, and stick with it, there's no reason you can't pull a 2:00 finish time, based on your current 26 min 5k.

Hal Higdon has good plans & they're free.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I did a modified plan from marathonrookie.com that is 10 weeks long, set up for people who can run at least 30 minutes and have been doing so for at least 4-6 weeks. I actually added a couple of weeks to it because from weeks 3-5 you increase your long run mileage from 6 miles to 8 to 10; I thought adding 2 miles a week was a bit much.
    Great job again on your 5K, that is a GREAT time!
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    Check out the atlanta track club website. They used to have a 10K to half marathon training program for 4 months (the time between the Peachtree Road Race 10K and the Atlanta Half Marathon).

Listen to your body while training. I have a friend who has been training for a marathon. She has run 10K and half marathons, but her knees just don't seem to want her to do more than a 19 mile run. Then she has to start back at square 1 with not running for several weeks. I only mention this because you mentioned your knees.

Good luck with your training.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That's PLENTY of time. First, I'd focus on getting a stable weekly mileage and setting aside a day for long runs.
    Then just start adding a mile to each long run and you'll be at 13.1 before you know it :)
    Make sure you're not increasing your weekly mileage by too much (I believe a 10% increase is ideal) and make absolutely sure you have GOOD RUNNING SHOES and keep track on your miles on your shoes, as you should be replacing them every 400 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Good luck!!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I went from no running to half marathon in 2 1/2 months. I'd been power walking long distances up until that point so I knew I could finish the distance. And 5 months prior to that I'd been a complete couch potato, so I believe it's doable. Not always fun, but completely doable!
  • world2c
    world2c Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So, for me I've been running about 3 miles a day for the past few years,.... This year, I decided to toss in a couple of 5 miles, and then 7 miles to see where I land (I also did swimming and biking)... The biggest thing that I've read, is that you want to increase your mileage by no more than 10% per week...and make sure you take time to recover after the big runs....I would also say if you can alternate some swimming and biking in there, you will help strengthen your endurance - which is really critical especially once you start running out of adrenaline and are needing that extra oomf.

Deep down though, I think if you want it bad enough (like with your whole being and you can think of nothing else), you can make it happen...I would say run in the longer distance races if you can - just to get a feel for it- it is a much different experience than a 5K- most people are not sprinting, they are talking and enjoying the race. I loved it, and I didn't run over 7.5 miles prior to my first half.... Best of luck to you!!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Absolutely -- I ran my first 5k in May and my first 1/2 in September. You'll be fine -- just be careful not to increase your mileage too quickly.

Congrats -- and good luck!!!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Go for it!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Yea, I think I agree with everyone that it is doable. Just the first few races of any distance can be a challenge, so be prepared for it not to be easy!
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    I agree with Hal Higdon plan. That's what I used for my first half marathon. All you need is 16 weeks at the most. You can do it since you have been running regularly already. If your goal is to finish a half, I have no doubts you could do it. Do it!!! You won't regret it!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Um...I'm doing it LOL.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all if your body can do it, just listen to the body.

While I've never really one an "official" 5k, it's been trail races and a 10k, I STARTED running only 4.5 months ago.

I started at a 13 minute mile just about, and just ran 11 miles at a 9:15 pace with alot of hills.

Oct 22nd is the Half Marathon, can't wait!!
  • jenocelot
    Options
    You can do this! I went from no running to 5k in 6 wks (27 minutes, and woulda been much faster if I'd known all racers REST the day before, duh) and then marathon (4:43, would been faster if it wasn't all concrete) --from 5k to marathon in 5 1/2 months. I was 47 at the time. Read all you can, run-walk method (Jeff Galloway) is excellent to increase mileage without injury. In reading I learned about the importance of rest days, hydration, proper form, schedule. Although I did a marathon without ever doing a half or even a 15k, it is smarter to do a half!! Most importantly, listen to your body and enjoy the process!! p.s. that was last october, and it was the thinnest I've been in a long time.
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's definitely do-able. You've had plenty of references to training plans, but I'll throw in my vote for the strategies and plans of Jeff Galloway. I used his "Half Marthon: You Can Do It" plan, and it worked great.

Keys are to keep up with your weekly base runs, and do a steady (but not huge) increase on your long run each week.

I'm kinda back to square one myself. Fell off the running wagon the last nine months or so.

Okay, so I fell off the wagon, then got run over by it.

But I'm back up and running...er, jogging...again. And it inspires me, reading about the excitement and plans of people like you. So keep us posted.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I started running in March of 2010. It took me 3 months to get to 5K without stopping. I ran a half marathon that September.

You can do it. Just gradually increase your long run every weekend, and make sure you don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% a week and you will avoid injuries.

You don't have to hit 21.1K in training, get to 16K (or 10 miles) and you'll be good to go on race day.

Good luck!! :)
  • debtfre12
    debtfre12 Posts: 203
    Options
    ALL things are possible to those who believe!!! Just remember to be wise in your training, stay healthy and injury-free. God speed!!!!
  • alwayspleasant
    alwayspleasant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link! This is gong to help a lot.