Weight watchers Pro points who's doing it?

Options
Hi all, thanks for checking in.

I am currently going to WW and following the pro points diet. I have only been going for weeks and lost 6.5 lbs last week I was really pleased.
Im still using all the tools on here to keep an eye on cals, fats salt and to help me make healthier choices.
Is anyone else doing well on pro points or not doing well Id be interested to hear from you.

Thankyou we all need encouragement and the ammount you get on here is brilliant!!!!

Replies

• chocolattahottie
    Options
    I do both. I lose amazingly with WW, but I like to see how my points and calories measure up.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most people on MFP are using MFP.

Good luck on your journey!:flowerforyou:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight on the momentum program. I was lifetime when the PP launched. Personally, I don't like it. I gained weight trying it out. So I came back here to lose what I gained. It works for a lot of people, but for some reason, not me. But if it is working for you keep it up. I learned a whole new way of eating because of WW. It taught me a healthy living style. Well worth the effort. Good luck.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Isn't WW points just like "Baby's first diet plan"? My dietician tried to get me on a points thing, and i was insulted!

Just watch your calories, exercise, and enjoy that extra $15 a month! :D
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thankyou. I am using MFP but I also follow weight watchers I am not a person who steers away and use my points on unhealthy foods every day so for me doing both works. I only came on here last week and lost half a stone following both and picking out the best bits so hopefully this will carry on working for me. Thanks for your time :O)
  • maryq1954
    Options
    I do WW, and have lost about 25 lbs in 6 months. I am at my "healthy" weight and in the Maintenance phase. I will be "lifetime" in 1 more week. It worked well for me. But I am confused by the name you used Pro Points. I do Points Plus. Is that the same thing? I also have noticed that since I switched from counting POINTS to counting calories, here on MFP, I have not lost any weight. (I am sticking to my 1200 calories per day) ...so I believe the points are designed to give you the correct balance of foods.
  • mobrink
    mobrink Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was doing the points plus, but since calories are not counted in the points, I was not losing any weight. I like MFP so much more because it helps you track the basics of weight loss...calories in &calories out.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    if its the recent diet then thats the one Im doing. Weight watchers does encourage healthy eating but also tells people that everything has a point value so you can basically eat anything in moderation. I agree with this to some exent that you should have a bit of whst you fancy occasionally but do try to use my points for healthy stuff mainly and the odd treat of course. I like comparing on here and think I eat a more balanced diet than if I was just using my points on anything I fancy.
  • megmariew1
    Options
    I tried the new plan and it didn't work for me. I ended up gaining about 5lbs with the new system. Not or me. With MFP I have lost 17 lbs so far :) Love it.
  • locococo
    Options
    I do both, but I sort of cheat with the WW by using a free app instead of paying for it.. (baddie).

I officially did WW about 2 years ago and I definitely did well losing weight, but I think it was mostly just the awareness and having a better idea what to look for. They have some -great- tips & tricks, too. This was before points plus, though.

The app I got (WWDiary for android) does both the old and new system. I haven't bothered going to points plus yet... sounds like people aren't liking it too much?
  • GoddygirlNZ
    Options
    Hi All

I've only just joined MFP but am planning on doing MFP along with Weight Watchers Pro Points. At the end of each meal or each day, I use my pro points calculator to convert the totals for Carbs, Protein, Fat and Fibre on MFP to pro points and record it in the notes box. I do not record any 0 point foods (fruit/veges) in the food tracker as these are already catered for in the pro points total (I do between 26 - 29 points per day) so they would be counted again. I do, however, put them in the notes box to keep me aware of what I'm eating.

Obviously there is no facility here to record the extra 42 weekly pro points, but you can do that in the notes box if required (I'm just going to try and not use them!)

At one stage I was paying to use WW Etools, but it just got too expensive on top of the cost of attending meetings each week. I find it too difficult trying to track using paper. My recent experience of not tracking tells me that tracking really does work! I like MFP because it's easy to search out foods and love that it has New Zealand foods and that I can enter my own recipes in. Again, put it in and then write the pro points into the total of the recipe to make it easier.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on the calories also as a bit of a comparison - in time I might find that a certain number of calories a day equals a certain number of pro points!

So here goes!!
  • GoddygirlNZ
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. Pretty much a half and half split! My plan is to use what I've learned through WW about portion control, etc., try and stick to fruit and veges, and watch what I eat (basic 101 of weight loss!!). Have MFP is a good way for me to track (without having to fork out each week!). For those that asked, Pro Points is the NZ version, I presume, of Points Plus. We have 29 points a day, plus 42 weekly points for treats, or a night out (which you don't have to use!). Now they've just said that you will achieve same results going down to 26 points per day.

Having not 'tracked' for 4 months, I definitely believe tracking works, so it probably doesn't matter whether you are doing WW or MFP, as long as you are being accountable for what you eat and being aware of what you eat, that's the key.
  • JCulpan
    JCulpan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am about 8 weeks into using both. I plateaued a bit using MFP, so joining WW (UK) on the propoints has helped. I like the 360 degrees approach. use as many strategies as you can to help you make healthy choices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_Watchers#ProPoints_.28UK.2C_Nov_2010-.29
    The wikipedia site helped me understand the different approaches in different countries. some of you may find it helpful.

I am very interested in the fact that some put on weight with WW, and not on MFP. I wonder what the difference is? Is it the amount? maybe it is because of over eating on zero heroes? I have a tendency to do that, but am aware that my problem is portion control. Stop before I am full or stuffed.
    For me that is the current learning curve. I cannot stop when I have had enough.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My friend dragged me to one of her meetings, and I'm not a fan. The online tool seems like it would be similar to MFP, but just uses points instead of calories. But, it ignores calories from fruit because fruit is good for you? If I eat 3-4 servings of fruit a day, that could be 400-500 calories that are ignored. They don't just not exist because fruits are good for you. That is new with the points plus plan, and I know a lot of the complaints from people who did the old system (veggies were free, but fruit was not) are because they gain, which they attribute to the fruit.

For me, it doesn't make sense to do both programs when they are telling you the same thing. If you are limiting calories, you want to eat healthier foods to meet your macros and have more to sustain you with fewer calories "spent". If you're on weight watchers, you want to eat healthier foods so you "spend" less points and can eat more food. They seem to have the same outcome (and one is free).

One thing I have noticed is my friend on WW will ask my opinion of how much of some thing she ate ("how many ounces does this glass hold" or "how much cheese do you think that was"). I've gotten a food scale, so I've gotten better, but I find interesting is that my friend doesn't like my answers because it means she consumed too many points. Or if she's trying to find something similar to what she ate out, she'll try to find the one worth the least amount of points and choose that. I guess you could do the same thing on MFP and try and cheat yourself out of what you actually ate. With either tracking system, if you're lying to yourself, the only person you'll hurt is yourself. But I have a feeling this is a mentality that can easily happen when you're forced to track. I'd love to be one of those people who can eat whatever and not track (and by "whatever" I mean healthy foods and appropriate portions), but I'm definitely not there yet with my food choices.