Saving most my calories for dinner

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
If I eat a light breakfast, light lunch with light snacks in between, can I pig out at dinner?

I've been thinking about this all weekend. I spent all day yesterday eating light, and exercising in anticipation for the wedding feast and open bar that was to come. I was pretty hungry most of the day.

Does anyone else do this? Is this wrong?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into your calorie limit, it shouldn't be a problem. You might want to snack a little more though, because you're more likely to go crazy if you feel hungry all day every day. I eat a really tiny breakfast, small lunch, and then eat a decent dinner. I actually save my calories for the very end of the day because I love eating right before I go to bed.
  • MrsVagus
    Options
    I think it's totally fine every now and then. Healthy for every day? Probably not.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty light for 2 meals and tend to have more calories for my evening meal. Im thinking of swapping around though and having my most calorific meal at lunch time and a lighter meal in the evening.
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I try to eat pretty good during the day so I have some extra calories at dinner. I don't pig out by any means but I try to use most of my calories at dinner. I do this becuase it allows me some flexiblity in making meals that my family will enjoy and that I still feel I can eat. However, I make sure that I eat enough during the day that I am not hungry all the time.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    thats sorta what i do! lol but not pig out! just eat till your full and not after and no more for the rest of the night...
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I usually do that if Im expecting to have a good size dinner, or if I know I'll be going out to eat that day. You could also have a decent breakfast, a light lunch and then exercise to earn more calories to eat for dinner! = )
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    just stay within your calories. if it works for you go for it!!!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am one of those "eat every couple of hours" people, so I don't do this personally, but I don't see the harm in saving calories for dinner, unless it causes you to binge.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    For something like a wedding or party of that sort, I would do it. I'd eat light AND up the exercise....I want everything I eat to fit in my calores for the day...thats just me.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. What I do everyday and what I recommend for others. There are studies that say eating more calories later in the day results in lower bodyfat and less muscle loss while dieting.
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but i disagree with this. If you are going to eat larger amounts, better off done earlier in the day so your body has a chance to use the calories...
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I'm a computer programmer and I really just like to get through the program. I eat a small breakfast and lunch everyday. Dinner is by far my largest meal of the day.
  • rockinjess
    Options
    I tend to do that I am a single mum and eating a small breakfast and light lunch so that I still can cook a really balanced meal for my son in the evening although I have thought about letting him have school lunches so that I can eat smaller meals throughout the day however he won't eat them because he says they are yucky!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    my family likes to have a big dinner, so I try to leave enough for a big meal. I try to space my calories trough out the day so that I am not so hungary and that I don't pig out at dinner.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what i do.

No breakfast, 3-400 cal lunch, 8-900 cal dinner, with a few hundred left for snacks :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I always do that. Without fail.

Doesn't matter what time you eat, as long as you stay within your calories.

Blessings.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't starve during the day, but I also save most of my calories for dinner since that is the only sit down meal i get with my family. I like to give myself wiggle room.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I don't think once in a while for a special occasion, it would be harmful. But on a steady daily basis, not such a great idea. Plus if you starve during the day, it sets you up to binge/overeat for the one meal you do allow yourself.
  • jsiler181
    Options
    I've learned, in my life, that I overdo it if I save up for dinner. If you're someone who exercises in the evening, it shouldn't be a problem. I, on the other hand, usually do my biggest workout in the early afternoon so I try to make breakfast and lunch big meals and just have a small dinner. This works for me because I know I won't be burning off the calories after I've eaten dinner.

P.S. Don't look at my diary today because I'm doing the exact opposite of my normal routine :)
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would say go for it. But be careful! If you have, say over 1000 calories to consume, you may be wanting to eat foods that have a lot of sugar/fat/sodium. Be careful about this, and try to stay within your Protein/Carb/Fat ranges in addition to your calorie goals :)