I am going over calories on the weekend..

Options
I have been doing MFP for 15 days now. I am having a real hard time with the weekends. I work out 5 to 6x a week and watch my calorie intake during the week. But when the weekends come I like to go out to eat and have few drinks and eat things that I know I should not, especially on Football Sundays.

My question is.. if I am under my calorie intake during week (usually by a lot) does it balance itself out at the end of the week? Or am I fighting a losing battle?

Replies

• inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    no one said it would be easy. These are the times when you have to remember "what" you are trying to accomplish. It's not a 9-5 job, it is a complete change in your life. Sorry if this is too harsh, but I also need a kick in the pants sometimes.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what and how much you are eating on the weekends. My recommendation is to log everything even when you blow it so that you can see first hand how bad the damage might be. Also, it may help to plan your weekends out in advance so that you can make room in your day for those extra splurges. I do it all the time.
  • Mexrose
    Mexrose Posts: 46
    Options
    It depends how much you are going over. I lost about 6 pounds in two weeks and I went over each Saturday about 250. You just have to be careful about two things. Try not overeating at night to give you body time to digest the food and you don't go over 1500 calories to maintain weight for the day. You should be okay.
  • tpt42087
    tpt42087 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I kinda do the same thing sucks! But just pick you self up and try hard not to do it again! If I know we are going out or I'm gonna have a drink or to what I do is workout a little longer well maybe not a little but you know. On the weekends I have to do maybe an hour extra if I want that rum and coke or them bonless wings. I try so hard not to go over but if i do i dont beat myself up I deal with it and just tell myself i have to do this for me! Good Luck
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It will slow you down, but you should continue to lose. Try to make better decisions on the weekends: instead of having a plate of hot wings while watching football, eat something healthy before you go and then have 1-2 wings.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you are going over. I lost about 6 pounds in two weeks and I went over each Saturday about 250. You just have to be careful about two things. Try not overeating at night to give you body time to digest the food and you don't go over 1500 calories to maintain weight for the day. You should be okay.

If you have food in your stomach, your body is going to digest it regardless of whether you are awake or asleep.
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    at first, i did not do this. i lost all the weight i wanted to and was very, very strict.
    I knew summer was going to be hard for me so I basically just wanted to maintain and then go from there because i was skeptical about keeping the weight off.
    for all of summer i have been trying to eat well during the week and then weekends i do the same as you, go out to eat, have some beers. It seems to be working but i also try to at least do normal portions when eating junky foods.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    you can still lose that way. That is what I do. It's usually more over my calories on Saturday with beer, and at or just over my calories on Sunday with food. I also try to workout 4-5 times a week. I've been successful with this "habit" and although it's at a slow rate of 1lb a week, it's been continuous. I'm pretty strict during the week with my eating too, usually anywhere from 1200-1350. I figured why completely cut out things I enjoy because once I lose weight, I'll go back to those old ways and gain it all back. I found this to be the best way for me to stick with losing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will. Even if you are not under by "a lot" you will still lose weight unless you are just really pigging out on the weekends. As long as you have a calorie deficit for the week, you'll lose weight. Not as fast as you would if you had a deficit every day, but you have to find a plan you can live with.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add, when I do have any type of junky food, I make sure to just have a serving. If it's chips and dip, I measure out a serving even if I know I'm already over.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself. It's perfectly normal to relax at the weekend and for a lot of people this includes being relaxed with food too. This is only my opinion, but I don't intend to go the rest of my life feeling guilty about having a few beers and a few slices of pizza over the weekend. The difference now is that I recognise my bad eating habits and am trying to do something about it. Healthy eating, exercise and a few beers at the weekend are working for me so far and I hope that once I have successfully got down to my target weight i'll have learnt enough to be able to maintain a healthy balance of eating healthily, exercising regularly and enjoying a cold one every now and then.

Good luck.
  • lanicota
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses.. I realize that its a lifestyle change but I also don't want to deprive myself on the weekends. I think I may just pick up my works-out on the weekend.

Wow I love this site..thanks for all the great advice.. everyone is so supportive =)