Newly diagnosed as hypothyroid--need words of wisdom and gui

Options
Hi all,

After years of symptoms, I finally found a doc who conferred that I am hypothyroid (even though I test "within range"). I started meds last week, and am crossing my fingers I will start to have more energy, since more energy = more energy to exercise = better weight loss. I've struggled to lose one pants/dress size since January, 9 months....

For those of you with hypothyroidism, can you give me some guidance, wisdom, experience, anecdotes? Things that have worked for you and things that have not, from exercises you think are most effective to foods to supplements, etc. I am at my wit's end and want to lose 10 pounds by February (my 40th bday) but it has been such a struggle the past year I'm pretty frustrated.

My doc assures me that the meds will kick in and I'll feel well enough again to work out more, and my metabolism will function better.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 1/2 years ago. I had been struggling for so long to lose weight and the lack of energy was awful. My Dr. wouldn't say I had it or prescribe anything until blood tests showed for sure that is what was causing the problem.

When I first taking synthroid my energy increased and it was 'easier' to drop some weight. I didn't do anything special at the time except follow a healthy diet and move more, it was the same as I had been doing but then it was working.

Life got in the way, and now I am dealing with other health issues, so I gained about 1/2 of it back and now am trying to get back on track again.

I don't really have any wonderful words of advice, I just want to wish you the best of luck and hang in there..the weight will come off as long as you are doing all you need to be doing.
  • ludke
    ludke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid for many years. My best advice is take your meds at the same time everyday. I also find that working out in the morning before I go to work has helped me out a lot. I tend to get more tired in the afternoon. Working out in the morning, even just 20 - 30 minutes wakes me up and gets me ready for the day. Most of all, check with your doctor and follow their recommendations. Best of luck - you will start feeling better soon!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Ive been on thyroid medication for many years now.

Once your body gets use to the medication (about 3 mos) it should be easier for you to lose weight.

My word of advice: Dont give up.

There are things you SHOULDNT eat too much of tho, such as:
    Brocolli
    kale
    Cauliflower
    overprocessed foods.
    white bread
    white flower
    cabbage
    turnips
    rutabaga
    mustard greens
    spinich
    brussel sprouts
    peaches
    pears
    strawberries
    millet
    African cassava

They cause issues with insulin resistance and some of them can even cause Goiters (which reduces with cooking)
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Take your meds correctly (on an empty stomach, wait to eat etc). If you aren't seeing a change in the way you feel talk to your doc. Sometimes a slight tweak in the dosage or even the brand of meds will make a huge difference. I take synthroid and usually get the generic. One generic works wonderfully and one makes my hair fall out like crazy. So if you notice something not quite right, talk to your doc.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Do not get frustrated when the weight doesn't just fall off. I was diagnosed 10 (almost 11) years ago, weight loss can be slow so be patient with yourself.

It has been said before but take your meds everyday and try to make sure they are taken at the same time. If you are unsure of something talk to your Dr.
  • kstaggs2004
    Options
    I suffer from this too. Just listen to your doctor and have regular labs to keep to keep in tabs of the meds that you are on for this. I didnt do that at first and paid the price...I have finally gotten mine on the right track and get my blood work done every three months to see if my medicine is right. I went from regular salt to sea salt which takes less and leaves the foods with great taste. Exercise has been a problem for me since I have torn ligiments in both knees but I do walk each day to keep in the groove. But you can overcome this and i will be there if you ever have questions feel free to ask. Not a doctor but I deal with hypothyroidism and know what you are talking about. Just stay on track and things will start getting back in align and you will get the energy back to enjoy life.
    :wink:
    Kathy Staggs
  • sunshinegirlnm
    sunshinegirlnm Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Of course, lol, all the things I love to eat!!

Thank you all for the insights. It just helps me to know somebody else understands. No one in my family/circle of friends has dealt with thyroid issues, so I feel a little lost. I just want to know that things *will* improve, especially my energy levels!
  • bluesstarz
    bluesstarz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hasimotos last September and I had my thyroid removed this past May due to goiters. It is harder to lose weight but stick with it and you can do it!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You will get to a point that you can tell when your levels are off by how you are feeling. Don't forget to go get your levels checked at regular intervals. The dosage may change many times for a few years. I have been on meds for two years and the dosage has increased every few months over that time. I can tell now based on energy levels and my mood. If I feel like I want to take a nap and rip everyone's face off, I know it is time for a level check. As does my husband! LOL.

The big thing is not to use it as a crutch. When I accepted that I have to work twice as hard to lose less weight and started looking at pants size and how my body looks and feels, I did better mentally with the slow loss.

Hang in there!
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to stay away from soy, google it. Soy seems to be in everything.
  • sunshinegirlnm
    sunshinegirlnm Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to answer. Much appreciated!
  • efarrar13
    Options
    I am too newly diagnosed with hypothyroid. Looking for friends in the same situation. Anyone with hypothyroid please add me : )
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago and have had a rocky road getting the meds doasge and type correct, it takes time and you can't rush it, but when you're there, or there abouts with your level, life gets so much easier. I am now on Armour which have been a blessing for me. I work out daily now (except Sundays) and I feel so much better and I am beginning to see slow but steady weight loss. My best advice is listen to your body. Good luck with your weight loss I'm sure you'll get there, slow but steady wins the race (Tortoise and the Hare lol!)
  • mwhitley14
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a form of hypothyroidism (called Hashimoto's) and at 20 years old I couldn't bare the thought of feeling this way for the rest of my life. I find days without cardio are exponentially harder than days that I do work out. The earlier the workout, the better. If I put it off too far into my day I don't have the energy (or motivation). Other than Synthroid, another big game changer for me was taking an iron supplement (per the advice of my endo). Just remember to take it more than 4 hours before or after the synthroid.

Somedays are tougher than others but for me, so much of it is mental. A good workout goes along way.

Keep it up! Weight loss is possible, so don't listen to anyone who says its not.