"Hot flow" yoga?

Options
HI.....last week i took a class called HOT Flow Yoga...it has many names but it is yoga that is done at 38 or 40 degrees celcius......

i saw an article on it say how good it is for u...like yoga but the heat make the activity as cardio too cuase it incresses your heart rate and of ofcorse it's sorta like being in a sauna too ........ it's a 60 min workout....has anyone heard of it ? does anyone have an estimate for the amount of calories it burns?

Replies

• sherris
    sherris Posts: 112
    Options
    HI.....last week i took a class called HOT Flow Yoga...it has many names but it is yoga that is done at 38 or 40 degrees celcius......

i saw an article on it say how good it is for u...like yoga but the heat make the activity as cardio too cuase it incresses your heart rate and of ofcorse it's sorta like being in a sauna too ........ it's a 60 min workout....has anyone heard of it ? does anyone have an estimate for the amount of calories it burns?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yeah I have heard of it called Bikram Yoga. I saw a thread by another member that said somewhere like 700 cal per hour, a lot! You could google it to be sure, but it was a lot.

Did you enjoy it? I keep thinking I should try it, but I don't know if I could stand the heat!
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    I personally haven't done Bikram in a while...but once you're in the groove, it's very good. Oh...and I tried doing it once before work...bad idea. I was so spent, it took me all day to get into any kind of groove.

I found Bikram to be more focused on stretching, and being mello. Not too heavy on any religious stuff either. By the by, that Bikram guy is a fun study, as he claims himself to be the Yogi to the Stars down in Beverly Hills.
  • heathero24
    Options
    I just started doing it too. I LOVE it. I looked it up somewhere and it said you burn between 500-700 calories per session (90 min session). I am going to do yoga for the rest of my life, i felt fabulous afterward. :bigsmile:
  • sherris
    Options
    OH BOY I LOVED IT!!!! i have NEVER NEVER done excercise without counting the mintues and groaning for it to be done... but this was AWSOME!!! and my mind has never been sooo relaxed before...it had a lasting effect on my mind that i had for DAYS! i RECOMMEND it to anyone!!! i love hot hot weather so i was comfortable but i hate walking into a gym in a t shirt and short and feel cold before i start working out so it was right up my alley. i went with a friend who was pretty over weight and she loved it too she wasn't sure about the heat either but loved it also.....it was the first time either of us has done yoga at all so my eyes r wide open and i'll be going back...ALOT!

caution tho......if u haven't done it before make sure ur drinking your 8 glasses a day and DRNK LOTS MORE before and during and after the class cause it is very easy to get dehydrated since ur sweating soooo much!!!!
  • heathero24
    Options
    and dont eat before you go... you WILL throw up it is SO hot. haha.
  • sherris
    Options
    and dont eat before you go... you WILL throw up it is SO hot. haha.

well not only the heat but eating and then having to be in a poistion where your tummy is above your head can never end well :laugh: downward dog is NOT a position u want to be in on a full tummy
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I did it last year, I burnt close to 600 cals in 90minutes. This was my first time and wasn't doing the move properly.

Brings tons of water as you will get dehydrated fast.

It's really fun. :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I found a place near my house: $21 for a 90-min. class. (Includes mat rental) what do you guys think? is it awesome enough to spend $21 bucks on? My husband said I should just go sit in the dry sauna at the gym (where we already have a membership). :grumble:
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    I think it is for a first time try... Make sure you both bring plenty of water. Avoid wearing a warm-up, dress athletic to work out in 100 deg. weather. Here in Northern California class will cost around $15-$20 or more without a mat rental.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I found a place near my house: $21 for a 90-min. class. (Includes mat rental) what do you guys think? is it awesome enough to spend $21 bucks on? My husband said I should just go sit in the dry sauna at the gym (where we already have a membership). :grumble:
    Maybe they have discounts if you buy more than one class at a time, or bring your own mat:wink:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options

I paid $20 (mat no included).
    I agree, see if you can get a discount if you pre-buy classes.

Enjoy! :flowerforyou: