Body Pump Classes

Options
Hi there-

I was wondering if anyone has tried Body Pump classes. If so, approximately how many calories are burned in the class (generally speaking). I was also wondering if the classes helped in getting you toned. A trainer at my gym said that Body Pump classes would whip you in shape fast. I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on Body Pump and its effectiveness.

Thanks!

Replies

• glorybee
    Options
    Hi there-

I was wondering if anyone has tried Body Pump classes. If so, approximately how many calories are burned in the class (generally speaking). I was also wondering if the classes helped in getting you toned. A trainer at my gym said that Body Pump classes would whip you in shape fast. I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on Body Pump and its effectiveness.

Thanks!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I am a die hard body pump fan. I go two to three times a week. I wear a polar f6 hrm and burn around 400 cals a class. If I am upping my weight, I usually burn a little more. I do cardio before or after class. This is not a cardio class. It is all about strength and toning. I is as tough as you make it. I hate working out on the weight machines. This covers all the muscle groups in an hour. Make yourself go three or four times in the next two weeks and by then you will be addicted!
  • glorybee
    Options
    Thanks Bambi, I will check it out! Can you see where it is helping you get toned?

Thanks,
    glorybee
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Thanks Bambi, I will check it out! Can you see where it is helping you get toned?

Thanks,
    glorybee

Yes, I can. My goal is to do two classes a week. I sometimes can find time to do three. Since I started BP I really don't do the weight machines at the gym anymore. I certainly see more results with bp than I was getting with weight machines. I find myself craving more BodyPump b/c I feel so good when I leave...tired but good!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Just an update. I went to BP tonight. I was tired and the instructor was good but not super motivating. They just launched BP 68 this past Saturday so everyone (including instructors) are learning the choreography. Anyway I didn't push myself and I only burned 300 cals.

SO my point after all the rambling is...you get out of it what you put into it. I didn't push myself tonight and I burned 150 less cals than I normally do. I went with lighter weight on a few songs and I could tell I wasn't working as hard. Basically it has to hurt you (in a good way) to really burn the cals and see results. Next time I am pushing...what is the point in going if you are not going to get out of it what you need to!

Let me know after you try it. I will be curious to hear what you think!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I like Body Pump for what it is--high endurance, and a calorie burner. But it is in no way, and never will be, a strength-builder. There are too many repetitions and the weight is too light. So I would never totally replace my strength training with it, just supplement what I'm already doing if I want to build endurance for running or I feel bored with my normal cardio. My biggest complaint is that 90% of the participants have really terrible form and the instructors (at my gym anyway) never correct anyone. So there are tons of people squatting with just their lower backs or doing upright rows with the bar 12 inches away from their chests, just begging to get inured. That and partial reps don't do anything but decrease your range of motion. So I have really mixed feelings about the class.