Vegetables and fruits?

Options
Okay, I've already made changes to my diet within the last 6 months. Like eating broccoli, hated it before, still not my fav but I can eat it. Not adding any salt, eating an apple or an orange through out the day. Well, I wanna kick it up a notch "BAM". hehe What else can I incorporate into my meals? How, what kind of stuff do ya'll eat on a regular basis? Oh, I gotta feed a family of five.

Replies

• ChristyMomx3
    Options
    Okay, I've already made changes to my diet within the last 6 months. Like eating broccoli, hated it before, still not my fav but I can eat it. Not adding any salt, eating an apple or an orange through out the day. Well, I wanna kick it up a notch "BAM". hehe What else can I incorporate into my meals? How, what kind of stuff do ya'll eat on a regular basis? Oh, I gotta feed a family of five.
  • ONAMISSION
    Options
    I LIKE SPAGETTI MADE WITH CHICKEN AND WHOLE WHEAT PASTA. DONT KNOW HOW MANY CALORIES BUT IT IS REALLY GOOD!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a nice option and very versatile. I use it in salads, on homemade pizzas, in pasta sauces and in homemade soups. Berries are a great option too. very low cal/high nutrition and they are great for breakfast, dessert or snacks... plus kids love em. I am also a huge fan of melon, especially cantaloupe. melons are very low cal and taste great. again, kids LOVE them.
  • ferris1364
    ferris1364 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I never liked vegetables much before and I'm still not a huge fan of salad, but I try to eat a bag of spring mix each week (that's hard for me). So I experimented with all kinds of new vegetables to start with and found some I like. I love brussel sprouts and keep a frozen bag of them in the freezer and just bake or boil them as a side. I also really like tomatoes and red peppers. I soften red peppers up in the microwave or with some water in a frying pan and add them to just about anything, but mostly spaghetti sauces. Just the other day I put artichoke hearts on a turkey sandwich and that was great too!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I struggle getting in my fruits and veggies...but.... I have used these in the past.

I agree with spinach, I use it in place of lettuce on sandwiches and as a dark green in salads.
    I use A LOT of cabbage mix. I toss it in wraps, steam it, use it as a salad.
    Squash, a little calorie dense, but I make butternut fries, acorn squash....
    I use sweet potatoes for fries (instead of regular potatoes).

I like citrus fruits, fruit salads, apples....
    Smoothies are great, just be really careful with what you are putting in them cause they can be a calorie killer!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Home made soups with tons of different veggies! Fruit salad, make a smoothie, put it plain yogurt.:drinker:
  • sexymotherof3
    Options
    I cut up celery and carrots and take them with me to work. I am not really big on the carrots, but i can eat them. This keeps me from grabbing chips and cookies throughout the day. I thinks veggies can be good if you season them RIGHT.
  • amycakes812
    Options
    Check out Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. It is a great way to sneak extra veggies into your meals, especially with kids! You make different purees and add them into the recipes. They are a little time consuming to make, but you can do large batches and freeze them in smaller amounts to use as needed. I try to always have some of the purees on hand to throw into whatever I make. For the most part, you can't taste a difference from the original recipe.