Butter please

Options
Does anyone have a healthy low cal alternative to butter.

Replies

• spiritdncr
    Options
    Does anyone have a healthy low cal alternative to butter.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I use becel light for most things It's got 35 cals per 2 tsp serving. But when it comes to baking, I go for the real deal. Nothing works the way butter does in baked goods.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    See, many of the "low cal" butter alternatives are little chemistry sets just waiting to rape your digestive track.

Organic whipped butter is only 50 calories per tablespoon (which means around 17 calories a teaspoon), and its only ingredients are sweet cream and salt.

For butter, I think moderation works better than processed alternatives.
  • ferris1364
    ferris1364 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Smart Balance Light. It doesn't have the hydrogenated fats found in many margarines, and now they make one with Flax Seed and Omega.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm with Phoenix. I'd rather have a bit of butter and budget around those calories than eat fake food. Or go for a run and earn the calories :wink:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    keep in mind MOST foods we eat contain chemicals or manufactured ingredients. Unless you're eating strictly organic foods, choosing a margarine over butter is truly the least of your worries :laugh:
  • spiritdncr
    Options
    Yes, I agree with several of you. I should have mentioned that I won't eat margerine with all it's unhealthy fats. I love my butter. Maybe the whipped alternative would work better. Right now I'm just slicing a stick into paper thin pieces to add to food.
  • spiritdncr
    Options
    Yes, I agree with several of you. I should have mentioned that I won't eat margerine with all it's unhealthy fats. I love my butter. Maybe the whipped alternative would work better. Right now I'm just slicing a stick into paper thin pieces to add to food.

124866.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com -
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i use 2 different types, fleishmanns light and smart squeeze with is fat free and only has 5 calories a TBLSP
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Smart Balance Light. It doesn't have the hydrogenated fats found in many margarines, and now they make one with Flax Seed and Omega.

Ditto. :bigsmile:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    keep in mind MOST foods we eat contain chemicals or manufactured ingredients. Unless you're eating strictly organic foods, choosing a margarine over butter is truly the least of your worries :laugh:

Every little bit helps!
  • nancy48
    nancy48 Posts: 18
    Options
    move over butter is good. for frying egg whites or something i use a little of that and some olive oil. sometimes i have to have real butter i dont think there is a substitute.
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm with Phoenix. I'd rather have a bit of butter and budget around those calories than eat fake food. Or go for a run and earn the calories :wink:

im with her! i would rather eat the real deal and plan for it then eat a non-food food
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use butter when I have it, but I don't use the 2 tbsp of it like the serving size dictates. I usually use less than 1 tbsp. This goes for most spreads, like peanut butter and cream cheese. This halves the calories and you still get the same flavor. 1 tbsp of a spread is enough to lightly cover a whole bagel, and more than enough to cover a slice of bread.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    shedd's spread spreadable butter is half butter/half canola oil.