Turkey/Chicken/meatless -- Pot Pie

Options
NatalieWinning
NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
Sauce:
Butter - Salted, 4 tbsp
All Purpose Flour Enriched (White Flour), 4 rounded tbls
Fat Free Skim Milk, 3 cup

Turkey Breast or other meat 3 cups, cubed (or as much as you like to taste-skip for vegetarian)
Freshlike - Mixed Vegetables Frozen, 4 cup
Frozen Chopped Broccoli, 2 cups (or whatever and however many fresh, or frozen veggies you want)
Black Pepper, 0.75 teaspoon
Onion powder, 1 tsp
Garlic Powder, 0.5 tsp
Salt, 1/4 tsp for low sodium, or optionally a few chicken bullion cubes or "stock" for the liquid flavor.
-->dont skip this one!! Tarragon, dried, 3 tsp, leaves

Pillsbury Grands! - Mini Buttermilk Biscuits, 12 biscuits (or your own pick for crust) I thought these were easy to have on hand and divide.

Sauce: Melt butter in wide base sauce pan big enough for all this food. stir in flour and bubble for a minute. (this is better for you than cream of mushroom soup). Slowly pour and mix in the milk until smooth and add spices. Reduce to a sauce thickness, adding more liquid if necessary. Meanwhile I microwaved the veggies until about half cooked (lazy). I put in my precooked and cubed turkey or chicken.

Put in bakeware: Then put all veggies and turkey into the pan and heat to simmer. Pour into ungreased lasagna type pan. (here I used to put a bottom crust in until I added up those calories!)

Crust: Use something for the top crust. I used ready made frozen mini biscuits and cut them while frozen into thinner circles and spread them out. This will be the ingredient you want to minimize! Or, make a pastry crust and poke to vent. Or, lattice that crust so you can use less. Bisquick was my old formula for the top, (and cream of mushroom soup), but if you use bisquick you can use dollops, or just enough to cover and that will lower the carbs and calories, etc... I had nearly 2 cup large portions for 8 people with this amount. It could easily be for more.

Bake: Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Probably 375 oven. At 400 degrees I had to cover the top so the bisquits didn't burn half way through, but that worked too. I didn't check time, but it was between 30-60 min in the oven. It all depends on the crust, the rest is cooked.

TIP: I cooked and deboned the turkey a couple weeks ago and had it in the freezer ready to go for pot pie day. Same with veggies. It didn't take me much more time to assemble than it takes to make a chicken breast on a George Forman grill. Then you have leftovers! Reduce the recipe by knowing that about a cup of milk and a tbls or so butter with tbls or so flour will make one cup sauce (a couple servings), then add veggies and turkey as you like (or leave out the meat). Put it in your recipe builder in MFP database, decide how many servings you want it to be.

Stats: Depending on your recipe here are my estimates: cal: 316, Carbs: 31, Fat: 9, Protein: 17, Sodium 751 (you can play with the recipe to reduce sodium, I think butterball injects their meat with sodium).

Replies

• NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would go heavier on the spices in my own recipe. I love cracked pepper.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Printing out this recipe, Namster! Looks mighty tasty to me. I'll just leave out the meat and add some beans or something!
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)