Dietary Supplements

Options
Hello,

I am starting to really diet and take charge of my physical fitness and overall health. I started taking a multi-vitamin again which I know if extremely important. My gym also talked me into a fat burning complex that is supposed to help curb my appetite and help suppress the fat that is gained from meals. I am supposed to take this supplement before major every meal. I have never used something like this in the past, and I don't want to be one of those people that drops dead from taking too many combinations of different supplements and such. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about supplements or if I should even be taking them to start with?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'd personally skip it unless you eat fatty meals daily. I've never taken anything like that and I've dropped 55 lbs since May. I eat better, workout and take a multivitamin.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I previously took carb-blockers but the one I had made me nauseous, and since I know eating fat isn't what makes us fat I'd not touch fat-blockers either, we need some amount of fats, and while blocking the grease from a pan-fried pizza might make sense... not as much as not having that pizza in the first place ;) Just make healthier food choices. You can always get some blood-work done to see what areas you are weak in, and supplement specifically for where you're lacking!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am starting to really diet and take charge of my physical fitness and overall health. I started taking a multi-vitamin again which I know if extremely important. My gym also talked me into a fat burning complex that is supposed to help curb my appetite and help suppress the fat that is gained from meals. I am supposed to take this supplement before major every meal. I have never used something like this in the past, and I don't want to be one of those people that drops dead from taking too many combinations of different supplements and such. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about supplements or if I should even be taking them to start with?

What supp did they recommend you buy?

honestly you can get buy with just a good multi and fish oil
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Personally, ditch everything but the multi-vitamin. They are trained to sell the suppliments because they get paid commissions on them. If it's not naturally occuring in the foods you eat, you are introducing crap into you body.
    One side note, if you are lifting to gain weight, then there are some benefits in SOME of them, but do your research.

Keep this in mind...if a Fat Burner were to actually work, you'd have a Golden Bullet....
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I. Take arginine, various supplements and vitamins. I take whey protein as well creatine. There's a lot out there. I agree with the guy who said some multi vitamins and fishoils get. I disagree with those who dont just because you lose weight doesn't mean you us are losing bodyfat.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Based on what you described, my first instinct would be suspicion that your gym is receiving some sort of financial kick-back in exchange for helping to cross-sell some unregulated fat burning pills. Even my own gym (LA Fitness) has the nearby GNC come in almost every week to sell stuff and each of their trainers is magically all about GNC supplements. A lot of people that go to gyms are insecure to some extent (even men) about their bodies and because they care so much (which is not a bad thing!), they are more susceptible to all sorts of unchecked health claims, which is a prime market for supplement makers and retailers.

Keep this in mind and carefully do your own research before deciding to take or buy any supplements.