Just cause they make it in your size...

Options
quichebradford
quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
.....don't mean you ought to wear it!

I saw a lady in Wal-mart just now, she was really overweight. She was wearing short shorts and a baby tee...NOT flattering at all! The woman in line behind me muttered, "just cause they make it in your size don't mean you ought to wear it". Granted, the lady's outfit was a little offensive (and I say offensive because there were things coming out of the bottom of the shorts, as well as her belly was hanging out from under the shirt...I would have been embarrassed if my kids were with me) but I didn't think the comment was necessary. I just tried not to make eye contact with it! :laugh:

Here are a couple of the responses I got from people at work when I told them about it:

"If you're overweight, you should know what looks good on you and what doesn't, the lady shouldn't have been out like that in public"

"No one can tell me what I can and can't wear. Obviously I think I look ok if I'm wearing it"

"Some people just don't care how they look"

So....what do you think? About all of it. The outfit, the comment, the situation as a whole...what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Maybe she was hoping to be a star on the "People of Wal-Mart" web page! :laugh:

I'm a slob when I go to the grocery store, but a covered up one. Not sure how to comment. :tongue:
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i personally believe that there are a lot of people out there that dont take pride in the way they look. skinny and fat.

but i agree just cause YOU think you can doesnt mean you should. however, thats on them, not on me. plus if you put it out there then get ready for the comments.

Just my humble yet usually accurate opinion :smokin:
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    comment- true, but not necessary...if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    I dont even wear things like that at my home, let alone at wal-mart lol! More power to her I guess, she must have some high self esteem!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    and obviously it WASN'T her size lol
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You're free to judge, but there are more important things to worry oneself about than what someone else is wearing.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think referring to a person, overweight or not, as "it" doesn't make you any better than the woman who commented in the store.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    comment- true, but not necessary...if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all
    This space has been left intentionally blank.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I told a woman in a change room NOT to buy the one piece short outfit she had on. Couldn't believe she thought it looked good. :-(
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think referring to a person, overweight or not, as "it" doesn't make you any better than the woman who commented in the store.

By "it", I meant the stomach and butt hanging out. Please don't read more into it than it really is.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

You and I understood the OP differently here. I thought she meant she didn't make eye contact with the fat that was hanging out, thus making the word "it" appropriate. I didn't take it that she was referring to the lady as an "it".

It's one thing to say not to judge others, but come on. Overweight or not, keep your butt cheeks covered unless you're at the pool or beach, please.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't know why so many women think that wearing less clothing automatically makes them sexy. With that said, it's none of my business what someone wears to the grocery store. I'd rather be in line behind a really overweight woman wearing not enough clothing than a woman who smells like she hasn't bathed in a year.

As far as the commentary goes, that's even more offensive in my book than the fat woman wearing short shorts. People are so freaking rude these days.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I think if you don't like it, don't look at it (not you as in you personally, but you generalized.) If someone thinks they look good like that, more power to them. I might not like what they're wearing, but I don't gotta look at it...and probably won't. :laugh:
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I told a woman in a change room NOT to buy the one piece short outfit she had on. Couldn't believe she thought it looked good. :-(

Wow, that's really rude!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Wow, that's really rude!

I think it depends on how you say it. If she said it, and then said, "But that shirt you tried on earlier was awesome," then it's one thing. I will often be in dressing rooms, and tell people I don't know that the shirt or pants they are trying on is cute.
    I always go shopping with my mom because she will tell it how it is, whereas friends lie to protect your feelings!!
    As about the actual issue at hand here...it's true - just because they make it, doesn't mean it looks good. They make those cropped shirts in XL sizes. But if you have a gut you should not be wearing it unless you're wearing a tank top underneath!! People seem to be concerned about labels rather than fit. If something looks good on you and it's from Wal-Mart, better than a too tight or too yucky colored shirt from Prada.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i personally believe that there are a lot of people out there that dont take pride in the way they look. skinny and fat.

but i agree just cause YOU think you can doesnt mean you should. however, thats on them, not on me. plus if you put it out there then get ready for the comments.

this. exactly this.
  • BethanieK
    BethanieK Posts: 201
    Options
    If it was truly her size, offensive parts should have been covered. Maybe she has a magic mirror?
  • kellybug123
    Options
    We have a motto in our family, "Just cause it fits, doesn't mean it looks right." lol
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I can understand going to the store in gym clothes, or weekend clothes, etc., and sans makeup, but I am personally never comfortable showing skin and definitely with things hanging out - I don't even like my thighs showing. But - some people are comfortable with their bodies and it doesn't seem to bother them.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and I was likely rude when I said it. Looking back it wasn't nice but she was the third one with one of these one pieces on that clearly shouldn't be wearing it. I'm not a very nice person some days. That's likely fact. :-)