Did you factor this in?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm just curious if anyone had factored in TOM and food gain throughout the day into their weight loss goal?

Back in April I was 4 lbs away from my goal weight, then I ate enough peanut butter cookies to fill an olympic swimming pool lol. Anyway, i weighed 133lbs and I wanted to weigh 129. I noticed that in the mornings I would weigh 133 and by the time bed time came around I looked like I was 5 months pregnant and I would weigh anywhere from 2-4 lbs more than in the morning. Also, when TOM would come around I would spend 7 days at around 137 ish....a whole 5 lbs more than any other week in the month. So my questions is, has anyone factored in thier 'food babies' (this actually would cause a 1-2 inch gain on my waist measurements) or TOM for goal weight??

I'm considering dropping my goal weight to 125 to make up for what happens when I eat and for TOM, because it's not like people only see me first thing in the morning, with an empty stomach, and not having TOM haha!

Replies

• smcassaro
    smcassaro Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have. My ultimate goal is 125, but I will be happy to float between 125-129 depending on what time of the month it is. :)
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    Just weigh yourself in the morning, the only reason you weigh more at night is your food is not fully digested and passed, the average person takes in around 4 to 5 lb of food/liquid weight a day. As for TOM, this should only make a difference for say a week, water retention, I know with myself I can put oin as much as 5lb but this soon goes again after. I have decided to only log weight losses, I cant be done with seeing a roller coaster of weight loss on the chart, it is so disheartening.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    This is why I only weight in once a month, first thing in the morning, straight after TOM.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I just set a bf% and allow for a little fluctuation with the scale. there's no reason to weigh yourself in the evening and try to compare it to that morning or any other day for that matter because you're carrying around all that undigested food and water which can seriously impact weight measurements. Weight should be take first thing in the morning, after void, and before consuming anything, naked.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I removed gluten and reduced carbs recently and was surprised to find there was only 1 lb difference when I weighed at night when I also used to put on 3-4 lbs daily and about 6 lbs with TOTM.

It was also my TOTM week when I started my diet I've never been so light at that time of the month usually I'm over 12 stone and takes a week for water to go and get below that... this week I was 11st 9 one day after they ended,, and 11st 10 at end of day.

How much carbs do you eat?
  • mamapaints
    mamapaints Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh 2-3lbs heavier just for the first couple days during TOM, so I haven't really factored it into my goal. Like someone else said, I only weigh myself in the morning, but I do it once a week. If it's during TOM, I'll wait a couple extra days.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think the point she is making is that during the day you're fatter than when you do your morning weigh in, so if you wanna weigh 120lb you should really get down to 115lb so that during the day you actually look 120lb rather than 125lb....shes right, you measure/weigh in in the morning when you're all empty but no one every sees you like that! after breakfast you look/weigh more, just cuz it;s undigested food doesnt mean it doesnt still look like you're bigger!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I think the point she is making is that during the day you're fatter than when you do your morning weigh in, so if you wanna weigh 120lb you should really get down to 115lb so that during the day you actually look 120lb rather than 125lb....shes right, you measure/weigh in in the morning when you're all empty but no one every sees you like that! after breakfast you look/weigh more, just cuz it;s undigested food doesnt mean it doesnt still look like you're bigger!

This is exactly what I was trying to say lol. Maybe I should work on my communication skils haha!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If you're bloating so much that you look like you're five months pregnant, you should actually probably go see your physician. Such extreme bloating could be symptomatic of irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance, Crohn's disease, or an obstructed bowel, to name just a few.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you're bloating so much that you look like you're five months pregnant, you should actually probably go see your physician. Such extreme bloating could be symptomatic of irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance, Crohn's disease, or an obstructed bowel, to name just a few.

I do have crohn's, but I've had it under control (using only diet) for a little over a year now. I had posted a similar topic when I was at 133 lbs concerning the 'food baby' and there are many other people out there who have this problem as well. I was just wondering if others factored those things into thier goal weights.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I do have crohn's, but I've had it under control (using only diet) for a little over a year now. I had posted a similar topic when I was at 133 lbs concerning the 'food baby' and there are many other people out there who have this problem as well. I was just wondering if others factored those things into thier goal weights.

Sorry to hear about the Crohn's, but really glad to hear that you've been successful at controlling it with diet! That's great!! :)

I will probably have a range of weights that I will be happy with. I picked my goal weight to be the one that the weight will fluctuate about. Realistically I'm more concerned with body fat percentage, but it's difficult to have that measured accurately (well, difficult to have it measured accurately often and inexpensively, haha).
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have IBS so with that I know if I'm "backed up" so to speak I"ll weigh more. I also tend to weigh more on the first day or two of my cycle so I avoid weighing or measuring on those days. There are so many things that can fluctuate your weight but I would honestly try to weigh first thing in the morning with the same amount of clothing on just so you're getting an accurate measurement.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear about the Crohn's, but really glad to hear that you've been successful at controlling it with diet! That's great!! :)

I will probably have a range of weights that I will be happy with. I picked my goal weight to be the one that the weight will fluctuate about. Realistically I'm more concerned with body fat percentage, but it's difficult to have that measured accurately (well, difficult to have it measured accurately often and inexpensively, haha).

Can't you just get it measured at the doctor's?