Cooking with apple cider

Options
pelleld
pelleld Posts: 363 Member
I make pork chops (the thin sliced center cut ones) with apple cider. Basically you just lightly flour them then brown them in a skillet. Then add apple cider to almost cover them. Cook for about an hour, covered with a lidefor the first 45 minutes (turn them once). Take the cover off the last 15 minutes. The cider mostly cooks off, what remains is quite thick and tasty.

The question is this........how do I count the calories for the cider? Do I count the amount I add to the skillet or the reduced amount that's left after it cooks off?

Replies

• brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I would count the amount that you started with cause all you do is cook off the water in the cider which leaves you with something thick, right? So, all the sugar is just concentrated since the water is almost gone...all the calories are mostly there..
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    I would count the amount that you started with cause all you do is cook off the water in the cider which leaves you with something thick, right? So, all the sugar is just concentrated since the water is almost gone...all the calories are mostly there..
    Agreed!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options

100% this. :)

The only thing you can knock off a few calories for is when you cook with alcohol; i.e. wine. Cooking wine's alcohol burns off during cooking, so you don't need to count the alcohol calories from it. Anything else, though, it just water cooking off, which means that the calories and sugars are still left behind. :)
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I will count the amount I start with as suggested.