Protein Shakes: What to add to them?

Options

Replies

• mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I should add... I usually workout first thing in the morning so my after workout shake is also my breakfast. When I work out at night, I usually just have some protein in water or almond milk.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    I would add in a serving of veggies- like kale or spinach. But I like to think of shakes as an option to boost my veggie intake

Why would you add a complex carb for a post workout shake? You simply want a simple carb to aid in transport of nutrients and replenish glycogen levels.

Good post workout shake and delicious
    - Choc whey
    - Skim Milk
    - Banana
    - Peanut Butter

or I could have a serving of veggies for my overall health?

I would add the veggies to a shake as a snake at another time of day. The beauty of whey protein and having it post workout is that it gets to work quickly on muscle repair. Adding complex carbs slows that process down. So, you could just as easily eat a regular meal (non-shake) if you aren't trying to reap the benefits of whey protein.

This^, thanks for clearing that up.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    ah, I guess I don't think it would matter too much in the overall scheme of things unless you are a true body building type. I drink chocolate milk after a workout *shrug*
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    so do you suggest not adding anything to the shake since im working out after dinner?
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    ah, I guess I don't think it would matter too much in the overall scheme of things unless you are a true body building type. I drink chocolate milk after a workout *shrug*

Chocolate milk is perfect as the sugar is simple carbs that will replenish your glycogen levels and milk contains whey protein.
    so do you suggest not adding anything to the shake since im working out after dinner?

It really depends what calories you have left for the day.
    If you only require protein then simply have a shake with water or skim milk, if you require fat add Peanut Butter...if you need carbs then add a fruit.
  • StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like the strawberry whey protein with almond milk. I add frozen strawberries instead of ice cubes and add half of a banana. Tastes great, and is pretty low calorie!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    A super buff guy at work told me that he puts oatmeal in his and said it fills him up like a full meal.....he was telling us at happy hour so I might not remember how he said he does it right, but I'll try. It was something about putting water and the oatmeal in the blender, then blending it, then adding the protein powder and maybe water again...not really sure...then blending it again and something about him using a bullet blender. Then he rubbed his flat, abtastic belly and said "It's like getting a full meal"...then I turned back to my margarita...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    A super buff guy at work told me that he puts oatmeal in his and said it fills him up like a full meal.....he was telling us at happy hour so I might not remember how he said he does it right, but I'll try. It was something about putting water and the oatmeal in the blender, then blending it, then adding the protein powder and maybe water again...not really sure...then blending it again and something about him using a bullet blender. Then he rubbed his flat, abtastic belly and said "It's like getting a full meal"...then I turned back to my margarita...

Yes, adding oats to the shake does make it more filling. I will add oats if I'm using the shake as a meal replacement or PRE-workout. (an hour or more prior to workout out).
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Yes, adding oats to the shake does make it more filling. I will add oats if I'm using the shake as a meal replacement or PRE-workout. (an hour or more prior to workout out).

Oh yay! Someone understood that! :-) I do remember him saying that he drinks it post workout after all of us girls at the same time said "that doesn't make you sick?"
  • PBJunkie
    Options

Oh yay! Someone understood that! :-) I do remember him saying that he drinks it post workout after all of us girls at the same time said "that doesn't make you sick?"

Oats is a complex carb which means it slowly releases energy, thus the only time that you would consume such a shake post workout is after a morning workout. No point consuming a bunch of carbs in the evening unless you are severely behind your calorie goals.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for clearing up when to add the spinach and oats and when NOT to add them.
  • yary317
    yary317 Posts: 32
    Options
    Almond milk!! I use Spiru-tein ( tropical fruit)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I've only joined about a week ago and have seen multiple protein shake threads. How about a sticky on this subject? The posts in this thread are excellent.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Keep it simple. Dextrose and water.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My new favorite protein shake...

5 ice cubes (I chop these first in the blender before I add anything else)
    1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
    1/2 cup of plain room temp coffee from the day before
    1 tsp natural peanut butter
    1/2 cup of cold water

Blend and enjoy!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    see for me, i am going to eat dinner soon and that will get me to the limit. Then, i know i will burn at least 400 calories... thats why i was wondering if adding a protein shake would help..

hell if not, i will just have a glass of 8th continent light chocolate soy milk with a banana.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Water
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I mix vanilla protein powder with orange juice instead of water. Tastes better.

Depending on calories you could make a smoothie:
    ice cubes
    vanilla yougurt
    fruit
    protein powder
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I put 3 ice cubes, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c. of blueberries, and 1 tsp. of honey. Yummy, yummy, yummy for your tummy, tummy, tummy!
  • martini83
    martini83 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a choc protien shake and add a pottle of berry yoghurt, i only do this because ido not like dairy so doing the yoghurt by itself is a bit hard for me, but it makes it thicker and keeps me fuller for longer.