17 Day Diet plus Working out daily= not enough calories???

Options
JessG11
JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
I've started the 17 Day Diet today and already, especially after 30 minutes on the elliptical and strength training I can see this isn't going to work. I have to have more calories than this.

Main reason I wanted to do this was to flush my body and stop with carbs....bad carbs...to help my sugar addiction.

Has anyone done the 17 Day Diet and worked out daily?

Any suggestions for healthier foods (carbs) that I can add in to up my calorie intake yet still help my fight against horrible sweet cravings?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you read the 17 Day Diet plan, it is very specific during the first part of the diet to limit exercise because of the calorie count.
  • JessG11
    Options
    Yes just figured that out. I have done the diet before but didn't work out. I've been working out for three months now, and I currently work with a trainer. I don't want to cut back on my excercise. I just have no clue..this shows my stupidity about food...what I can add into my diet to increase my calorie intake and still keep it clean...
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    By following the MFP plan (log every bite, log every workout, meet and not fall below my daily goals) I was able to reach my goals. I've always been a healthy eater and I eat every 2-3 hours and I eat a lot of whole foods. I was NEVER hungry following the plan that MFP set for me. If you are too hungry or weak you are not giving your body the fuel it needs. Long term, you may do more harm than good (based on what I have read).

Having said that, I do not believe in anything that is called a 'diet' or anything that is pushed by the media. The 17 day diet has gotten a lot of coverage this past year, particularly with the Royal Wedding.

Here's some things to think about (yes, arguments against the 17 day diet):
    (This is from a CBS news interview)

The scientific proof isn’t totally convincing. Moreno claims that shifting your meal plan every 17 days before your body registers certain eating habits is a way to keep your metabolism in high gear, but not everyone is buying it. "There is no scientific evidence to support the efficacy of calorie cycling or its effect on metabolism,” Mary Hartley, director of nutrition at Calorie Count, tells the editors of Diets In Review. "There is no harm in calorie cycling temporarily or indefinitely and the process happens naturally for most people, who don't eat or burn the same number of calories every day."

Marisa Sherry, a registered dietician, questions one hard-and-fast rule of the diet—no starchy carbs or fruit after 2 P.M. "There's no proof that after certain times of day your body loses the ability to digest carbohydrates," Sherry tells CBS News.

The first 17 days of calorie restrictions may backfire: "You are cleansing your body of the unhealthy foods you have been eating," says Sherry. "But if you are not consuming enough calories to meet your resting metabolic needs, then you are in starvation mode which actually slows your metabolism."

It’s an investment: While there’s plenty of store-bought foods that fall into the meal plans, dieters are encouraged to buy specific 17-Day Diet branded snacks like the breakfast cookie. That can rack up your bills unnecessarily.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You can add eggs, fish, chicken, fruits, veggies, etc to keep your diet clean. These foods can all be prepared in a wide variety of ways.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Yes just figured that out. I have done the diet before but didn't work out. I've been working out for three months now, and I currently work with a trainer. I don't want to cut back on my excercise. I just have no clue..this shows my stupidity about food...what I can add into my diet to increase my calorie intake and still keep it clean...

You work as a trainer? That means you have a VERY active job. If you're looking for healthy recipes check out Everyday Food magazine. It also gives the nutrition content to each recipe, so makes it easier to log. :)

Stick to healthy, whole foods (steer clear of overly processed foods) and you should be okay. You need more energy than the average desk jockey like myself!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options

Almonds! Nuts!
  • katecon88
    Options
    On the diet you are allowed unlimited vegetables. I did the 17 day diet and continued to exercise throughout with no problem. If you are able try exercising before 2pm so that you can enjoy an apple before your workout. I did this and the apple helped give me an extra boost.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    After 3 days of cutting out all refined sugar and white/processed carbs I found I no longer craved them. Even after the first day it got easier. I do eat quite a lot of sugar but most of it is from fruit or yogurt and I avoid refined sugar as much as possible. I find I don't even want the sweets, cakes, chocolate or biscuits anymore. If I really need something sweet I go for dried fruit instead. The body is much better at dealing with fruit sugars than refined sugars so you don't get those sugar highs or the crashes afterwards. That's what works for me anyway
  • JessG11
    Options
    ***"The first 17 days of calorie restrictions may backfire: "You are cleansing your body of the unhealthy foods you have been eating," says Sherry. "But if you are not consuming enough calories to meet your resting metabolic needs, then you are in starvation mode which actually slows your metabolism." ***

My exact concern. I want to cleanse my body but still fuel it properly just at a loss how to do that
  • JessG11
    Options
    After 3 days of cutting out all refined sugar and white/processed carbs I found I no longer craved them. Even after the first day it got easier. I do eat quite a lot of sugar but most of it is from fruit or yogurt and I avoid refined sugar as much as possible. I find I don't even want the sweets, cakes, chocolate or biscuits anymore. If I really need something sweet I go for dried fruit instead. The body is much better at dealing with fruit sugars than refined sugars so you don't get those sugar highs or the crashes afterwards. That's what works for me anyway

Guess you don't need a special diet to do that huh??? Thanks! Today is my first day without refined sugars....I hope it only takes me three days. I can't wait until I grab dried fruit over cakes!
  • JessG11
    Options

You work as a trainer? That means you have a VERY active job. If you're looking for healthy recipes check out Everyday Food magazine. It also gives the nutrition content to each recipe, so makes it easier to log. :)

Stick to healthy, whole foods (steer clear of overly processed foods) and you should be okay. You need more energy than the average desk jockey like myself!

No I work with a trainer...I am a fellow desk jockey...I just work out hard and 1200 calories isn't going to sustain me and my workouts daily
  • Onesnap
    Options
    ***"The first 17 days of calorie restrictions may backfire: "You are cleansing your body of the unhealthy foods you have been eating," says Sherry. "But if you are not consuming enough calories to meet your resting metabolic needs, then you are in starvation mode which actually slows your metabolism." ***

My exact concern. I want to cleanse my body but still fuel it properly just at a loss how to do that

Use the tools on MFP to figure out what your resting metabolic needs are. Go from there. Often with a fad diet the person has success but GAINS the weight they lost during the duration (and then some) the minute they go back to regular eating. I always use the Special K diet as an example.

Now I know the 17 day diet works for some. I'm just not interested in a short term solution.
  • joannajohnsonrn
    joannajohnsonrn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I dont know anything about the 17 day diet. Most all diet fads are just fads.
    The best bet is to modify your diet, to a diet you can sustain for the rest of your life.

I do know if you want to limit/decrease sugar cravings you need to avoid all sugar, sweetener, real or artificial.
    Fruit should be the sweetest thing you eat, be sure to avoid fruit juices, even 100% juice.
    No protein shakes or the like either. The sweetest thing you should eat is a piece of fruit.
    This may take a couple of weeks to get over the cravings, the first week being the hardest.

Avoid breads, pastas and all quick carbs that turn to sugar rapidly in your body.
    I think you should eliminate all snack foods like crackers, granola bars, fruit yogurt, etc. No chips, baked or not, that seems to encourage snacking and then that leads you down the wrong road.
    I did this for one month, including eating no sugar in my food like bread, sauces, etc. This was difficult, because sugar is a hidden ingredient in most prepared foods you buy. It takes vigilance, but it is not impossible. I felt much better, and definitely had less cravings.

Basically , just eat fruits and vegetables, beans and whole grains, and lean meats/fish.
    I like to follow the anti-inflammatory food pyramid by Dr Weil!
    Check it out, it is a lifetime diet, not just a fad.
    Good luck!
  • Onesnap
    Options

No I work with a trainer...I am a fellow desk jockey...I just work out hard and 1200 calories isn't going to sustain me and my workouts daily

Exactly. Because 1,200 calories/day is not enough for someone that works out hard.

If MFP tells you you need to eat 1,200/day in order to lose 1lb/week (not sure what your settings are) this is the NET calories. After you log every workout, every trainer session your intake of food for that day actually totals OVER 1,200, but the net is 1,200. You're taking in more than 1,200 to fuel your body's needs and keep your metabolism fired up.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    In order to reach my MFP goals my settings were to lose 1lb/week.

I was supposed to NET 1,260.

When I logged a workout (let's say 500 calories burned) my total intake for the day was actually 1,760.

If I had not eaten back the 500 (spread throughout the day as healthy whole foods like yogurt, nuts, and fruit) I would have only netted 760 calories on a regular basis.

I would not have given my body the fuel it needed day after day after day only netting 760 calories.
  • JessG11
    Options
    In order to reach my MFP goals my settings were to lose 1lb/week.

I was supposed to NET 1,260.

When I logged a workout (let's say 500 calories burned) my total intake for the day was actually 1,760.

If I had not eaten back the 500 (spread throughout the day as healthy whole foods like yogurt, nuts, and fruit) I would have only netted 760 calories on a regular basis.

I would not have given my body the fuel it needed day after day after day only netting 760 calories.

Thanks! I have started and stopped this diet in one day :)...but my body will thank me I know!
  • RunG2010
    Options
    Jess, I believe in the book they suggest starting on cycle 2 for people who are currently working out heavily. Several marathon runners will have a banana or turkey on whole wheat. Remember in Cycle 1 you can have as much of the lean meats and veggies as you need.
  • JessG11
    Options
    Jess, I believe in the book they suggest starting on cycle 2 for people who are currently working out heavily. Several marathon runners will have a banana or turkey on whole wheat. Remember in Cycle 1 you can have as much of the lean meats and veggies as you need.

Thanks!!!! That's what I've decided to do is to add in some foods from Cycle 2 like whole grains and beans/peas. I still want the cleansing aspect and the digestive health aspect of the 17 day...that's why it appealed to me so much! Not so much the fadness of the diet
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am just starting now day 5 of the 17dd. I found it hard at first to make enough calories with all the clean eating. But, I reduced the exercises for now and i added some key foods to increase cals. Such as nuts, protein shakes, and EVOO. This helped get to 1200 cals a day. Hope this helps.
  • tina2222
    Options
    I had the WORST sugar addiction EVER, and now afte a month i can easily go without it! I used the flat belly diet, it uses Mono unsaturated fatty acids like olive oil,avocado,seeds,nuts etc. to beat it, and ot was surprisingly easy! It starts off with a 4day kickstart plan to get you into it - low in cals, but then increases from then on.