Buying A HRM? :)

sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
I know it's super early but already my parents are asking about Christmas gifts...CRAZY! Anyways, this year, I have decided to ask for a HRM. :) I hate not knowing an accurate amount of calories I burn! In your opinion, what is the best, or worst, and why? Thanks!!! :D

Replies

• elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    What ever you choose make sure you have a chest strap (more accurate). Personally, I love my Polar FT7...I've heard great things about the FT4 as well. I like that it is user friendly and I can look back at previous workouts. I see that Polar and Nike+ (which I use for my runs) have come together in one transmitter...'With Polar Wearlink+ Transmitter And Compatible Nike+ Devices, You Can See Your Heart Rate As Beats Per Minute (Bpm) While You Run. You Can Also Hear Spoken Feedback Of Your Bpm After Any Nike + Ipod Workout. Full Compatibility The Transmitter Uses Polar Traditional 5 Khz And Nike+ Compatible Transmission Technology, So You Can Use It With The Nike+ System And A Compatible Polar Training Computer At The Same Time.' Overall, been really happy with my Polar.
  • I know it's super early but already my parents are asking about Christmas gifts...CRAZY! Anyways, this year, I have decided to ask for a HRM. :) I hate not knowing an accurate amount of calories I burn! In your opinion, what is the best, or worst, and why? Thanks!!! :D

This might sound dumb, but what is HRM?
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    I know it's super early but already my parents are asking about Christmas gifts...CRAZY! Anyways, this year, I have decided to ask for a HRM. :) I hate not knowing an accurate amount of calories I burn! In your opinion, what is the best, or worst, and why? Thanks!!! :D

This might sound dumb, but what is HRM?
    \
    Heart Rate Monitor
  • I've wanted to look into one of those as well so I'll spy on this thread! :)
    Sadly I don't know much about them myself. Sorry :/
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Heart Rate Monitor
  • MissMaryMac33

I have thePolar FT7 and I love it --- it was about $75 on Amazon

If I had more to spend, I would have gotten the Polar FT40 or Polar FT60 -- with those you can program your V02 max as well.
    They are about $50-$75 more than the FT7.

Worse: any cheapie without a chest strap
  • I bought a Polar FT7 and I am very happy with it. I do not use a few of the functions and did not want the bulk of a GPS HRM. Its small enough not to bother you but has enough functions for most people. Its mainly for being used in a gym environment since it does lack the GPS.
  • Great timing.

Not 5 minutes ago, I clicked "confirm" on amazon for my Zephyr HxM HRM (heart rate monitor).

Should have it in about a week. I got this one because it connects into my android phone and with the GPS software I use to track my bike rides.
  • MissMaryMac33
    Here is a good article:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Please note -- this article states that Polar FT6 or higher lets you program V02 max -- but this is not true.
    It is only on the double digit ones like FT40, FT60 etc.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    I have an FT40 and was simply swayed by the fact that the watch itself looks better and that there was a sale on so it was the same price as the lower models. I love it, wear the watch all the time and it's really motivating to see the outcome of your workout in calories burnt.

Have a look on the Polar website and you'll be able to compare what each does better
  • i was going to get a polar ft7, but, stumbled across the Sunno M2, does everything the polar does, and was about 20 bux cheaper at the store i was going to. and it's fuchia... not dull black... (not that the colour made a difference, but, hey, if you can add some fun to something you're wearing, why not right?
  • I have a MIO watch and it was working really really well until yesterday when I was at a kickboxing class and after busting my butt working out it only said 175 cal so obviously that was wrong.....so I am going to invest in a better one and I am looking at Polar F4 or Polar F7 as I would like one with the chest strap....whatever you decided I do not recommend sportsline they are crap....and make sure it asks for your weight as well as that is pretty important when counting calories....good luck
  • MissMaryMac33
    Great timing.

Not 5 minutes ago, I clicked "confirm" on amazon for my Zephyr HxM HRM (heart rate monitor).

Should have it in about a week. I got this one because it connects into my android phone and with the GPS software I use to track my bike rides.

Just FYI -- I don't thinkt hat one tracks calories burned.
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    I bought mine in Lidl ( UK ) with chest strap for 12 pounds, Works perfectly!
  • KareyMarie
    KareyMarie Posts: 26 Member
    I just got a BodyBugg (accurately counts how many calories you burn throughout the day, plus how many steps you take, etc. when worn 23 hrs/day) about a week and a half ago and I LOVE IT! I don't know much about heart rate monitors, but this thing is amazing! It would be an awesome Christmas present - you should look it up and see what you think (although they are a bit high priced...).

Good luck! (And I'm excited to see what people say about HRMs as I've been curious myself! :)
  • I ordered one online at Mountain Equipment Co-Op out of Canada (cause I live in Canada) but I am pretty sure you can get them at any sports store. Mine is a Timex Ironman and I was able to get it in purple. I love it and it's super easy to use!
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Polar is kind of the standard of the industry, and they also have the advantage that if you wear it while on an elliptical or other piece of gym equipment, the equipment will pick up the heart rate transmission and display your heart rate on the screen on the equipment. Kind of handy. (Others may do this too, not sure, but I do know for sure that the Polar ones will do it.)

If you go to the Polar web site, you can compare and contrast all the different models. You can get bare bones ones that will tell you your heart rate and not much more all the way up to ones that will track 5000 laps of 10 different activities, pack your lunch and wash your car, too! It all depends on what features you think you'll use and your degree of comfort working with the settings and so on.

If you get a good one w/a chest strap, it will last you years, so it's a very worthwhile investment.
  • Great info everyone!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. I was just commenting to someone else about how it tends to drive you when you can get a real time look at your burn rate and really kick it into overdrive to hit a number you want. I love it.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    I bought mine in Lidl ( UK ) with chest strap for 12 pounds, Works perfectly!

I just bought one in Aldi yesterday for £12 too, nice purple colour. Mainly as a back up in case my polar breaks. Not tried it yet though but teh wtach is comfy