Sauerkraut recipes

Options
Breckgirl
Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
This weekend we have a Sauerkraut Festival in Waynesville Ohio. This is one of the bigger fesitvals in southwestern ohio. They have sauerkraut donuts, sauerkraut pizza, sauerkraut sundea...

Do you have any good recipes using sauerkraut?

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    OMG, I was seriously just wondering about this myself today. I have a bunch of sauerkraut at home I just bought to go with Turkey Polish Sausage, but I always have some left over and don't know what to do with it. I hope you get some good answers.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I personally just heat it up with turkey bratwurst... I don't do anything to it :)
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Ever tried Sauer kraut pancakes? YUMM!!!!
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut, sausage and spatizle soup.
    It's a big Seller at the restaurant i work at
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    This weekend we have a Sauerkraut Festival in Waynesville Ohio. This is one of the bigger fesitvals in southwestern ohio. They have sauerkraut donuts, sauerkraut pizza, sauerkraut sundea...

Hey another Ohio girl!

Sauerkraut donuts is a new one for me....

I love tossing in some sauerkraut, some smoked sausage and then making up some mashed potatos to which I cover with the Sauerkraut. It's one of my favorite fall meals!
  • hazelmae123
    hazelmae123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Drain it (reserve some of the liquid). Put it in a crock pot with sliced sausages, turkey lite kielbasa, sliced potatoes and sliced red apples (peeled and cored). Cook on low for...um...forgot...maybe 6 hours. Yum. Add more liquid if needed.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump ;)
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Sauerkraut, sausage and spatizle soup.
    It's a big Seller at the restaurant i work at

Sounds yummy ...any idea on what the recipe is?
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Drain it (reserve some of the liquid). Put it in a crock pot with sliced sausages, turkey lite kielbasa, sliced potatoes and sliced red apples (peeled and cored). Cook on low for...um...forgot...maybe 6 hours. Yum. Add more liquid if needed.

Oh this sounds very good. Will try this soon, thanks!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Pork chops and sauerkraut with chopped apples -

Brown chops first (or not, makes little difference).

Bake, covered for 2.5 hours at 350 degrees; remove cover last 1/2 hour.

or put all in the crockpot on low before work and eat 8 hours later -- yum!

I love it over mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My Mom used to make braised cabbage (it was so amazingly good!) She would cook shredded cabbage in a pan in vinegar and some sugar (not sure of the proportions) until the cabbage was translucient and starting to caramelize. I was just thinking that you might be able to just braze the sauerkraut as is... I'll have to try that...
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My partners grandparents were German. They make sauerkraut and rockworth sausage , with mash potato. 1 Bag saurerkrout 1 rockworth sausage. 3 Rash bacon, 1 onion. 1 Tsp garlic. 2 Tbs sugar . Place onion and bacon diced in saucepan. Saute with tsp olive oil. Then add kraute, 2 cups water, garlic, . Simmer for half hour then add garlic , suger , sausage, simmer for another half hour . Then pull out sausage add cornflour to thicken then place with sausage. And serve on mash. Yummmmmmmmm
  • elucke
    elucke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Put a pork tenderloin in the crock pot with a can of sauerkraut, cook on high for about 6 hours...so tender and delicious!!!

I also make sauerkraut and ham/canadian bacon pizza's buy using whole wheat tortilla's spread with pizza sauce, top with ham, kraut and cheese and then bake at 400 for about 10 min or whenever looks done. These are sooooo good!!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    My partners grandparents were German. They make sauerkraut and rockworth sausage , with mash potato. 1 Bag saurerkrout 1 rockworth sausage. 3 Rash bacon, 1 onion. 1 Tsp garlic. 2 Tbs sugar . Place onion and bacon diced in saucepan. Saute with tsp olive oil. Then add kraute, 2 cups water, garlic, . Simmer for half hour then add garlic , suger , sausage, simmer for another half hour . Then pull out sausage add cornflour to thicken then place with sausage. And serve on mash. Yummmmmmmmm

My great grandparents were from Germany and my grandma cook a few things that she was able to pick up from her mother -in-law by watching. Unfortunately, my great grandma refused to speak english and all of her recipes were in her head. So, a lot of our family recipes were lost when she died. So thank you for sharing this and I will promise to make it soon. Thanks! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    My Mom used to make braised cabbage (it was so amazingly good!) She would cook shredded cabbage in a pan in vinegar and some sugar (not sure of the proportions) until the cabbage was translucient and starting to caramelize. I was just thinking that you might be able to just braze the sauerkraut as is... I'll have to try that...

I love cabbage and can't wait to try this, thanks.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Ahh Wanynesville, home of the Ren Fest. I've been there a few times. I have never been to the Sauerkraut Fest though. I live about an hour north of you (assuming you live in Waynesville) where we have the huge Strawberry Festival.

I just like my sauerkraut with some sasage too.
  • Breckgirl
    Options

Ahh Wanynesville, home of the Ren Fest. I've been there a few times. I have never been to the Sauerkraut Fest though. I live about an hour north of you (assuming you live in Waynesville) where we have the huge Strawberry Festival.

I live in Dayton not far from the Strawberry Festival but I have never been. If you go to the saurerkraut fest go early...it's a mad house! And you must have the donuts, their hot and yummy!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options

I live in Dayton not far from the Strawberry Festival but I have never been. If you go to the saurerkraut fest go early...it's a mad house! And you must have the donuts, their hot and yummy!

I would say the exact same thing about the strawberry festival. Go early and have a donut. I have burned myself many times making them for the Band Boosters. You really should come up sometime for it. It's a lot of fun but a total madhouse. I live in walking distance, thank goodness.
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Your very welcome
    =) his grandparents didnt speak much English but she did have recipe books she had done. She was a cooking teacher in Germany and was the most amazing cook ever. She was 89 and still hand making everything, even cheese . They sire don't make em that tough these days