Little things I've learned over the years

Just wanted to share a few tips that I have learned over the years that really help when you're trying to lose weight. When you sit down to eat dinner...SIT DOWN! No standing over the sink to eat, no leaning on the counter to eat. Fix everyone's plates and sit at the dinner table with your family. One of the best ways to get full faster is to have a great conversation over dinner. When you're talking, you're not shoveling food in your mouth and your body has time to begin digesting what you have given it. Chances are, you'll get full sooner than you expect.

Second, put your fork down after EVERY bite. By setting your fork down, you break that habit of eating fast and just reloading while you're still chewing the last bite! And have a glass of water with every meal as well. When I put my fork down, I grab my water and take a drink. That way, I'm getting the water I need AND not taking another bite right after the last one:)

And last, if you're just starting out....make your plate the way you normally would. Then take a butter knife and LITERALLY remove half of the food on your plate! Sounds drastic, but it helps. Most of us don't realize how much food we are serving ourselves until we do that an notice how much if left on our plate. When I met my husband, I was 230 lbs. He said he loved me and wanted me to live a long life with him and then he taught me this trick. It worked! I got down to 140 lbs in a relatively short amount of time. (Of course, we added exercise, too!)

Believe me, these little tricks sound hard to do, but they really aren't if you are serious about losing the extra weight. I have a bunch more of these little "gems of wisdom", but i won't bore you guys! If you want, friend me and I will be more than happy to share!

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    I've heard these before! I think they are an excellent idea if you are at a restaurant or mindlessly eat while watching TV.

However, it would be even better to only put the appropriate portion sized on your plate and then you have no need to worry about consuming too many calories in one sitting.

The half plate knife thing is interesting! I haven't heard that one. But I'm a firm believer in measuring cups and scales.

Good job and congrats on your loss so far! That's wonderful. :)