elliptical question

Does anyone have an elliptical or use one? I have one that I'm starting to use again (I had knee surgery and was on restriction for a while). Well, I worked out for 37 minutes and burned 300 calories - so the machine said. But when i put it on here for the exercise - it showed I burned 470 calories. I wonder how accurate this is?

Replies

• Does anyone have an elliptical or use one? I have one that I'm starting to use again (I had knee surgery and was on restriction for a while). Well, I worked out for 37 minutes and burned 300 calories - so the machine said. But when i put it on here for the exercise - it showed I burned 470 calories. I wonder how accurate this is?
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Does anyone have an elliptical or use one? I have one that I'm starting to use again (I had knee surgery and was on restriction for a while). Well, I worked out for 37 minutes and burned 300 calories - so the machine said. But when i put it on here for the exercise - it showed I burned 470 calories. I wonder how accurate this is?

I know from experience that myfitnesspal estimates of elliptical calories is usually MUCH larger then what my machine tells me I burned.

I wonder do you have an elliptical crosstrainer with the moving hand bars or with stationary bars? I'm starting to think that's why there's such a large differentiation. I know at the gym I'm using an elliptical with no moving hand bars so maybe with the moving hand bars the calorie burn goes up?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member

neither are accurate they are just estimates. Best thing for you to do is get a HRM- especially if you plan on eating your exercise calories so you aren't eating more or less than what you actually burned
  • I'm pretty certain neither are accurate. I'm only saying this because I wore my HRM while working out on the eliptical last week. My HRM, the machine, and the MFP database all reported differing numbers. I go with the HRM everytime!
    98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rmarlow
    rmarlow Posts: 64
    Well, you can always go with the lower counted calories burned so you can be on the safe side for when they say you earned X amount. That way, if you did actually burn the amount that myfitnesspal said you did, then you are doing even better. If any of that made sense. Basically, just go with what the elliptical machine says. On a different note, if you can get your hands on a Nautilus machine...those burn WAY, WAY more calories than the eliptical. It's kind of a treadmill/eliptical crossbreed.
  • My octane elliptical is very accurate with MFP - you also have to consider your age and weight when calculating on an elliptical
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    neither are accurate they are just estimates. Best thing for you to do is get a HRM- especially if you plan on eating your exercise calories so you aren't eating more or less than what you actually burned

Sometimes people can't afford HRM's. :smile: So we just do what we can y'know?
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    I suspect that this is one of the reasons why members who "do everything right" including exercise do not lose weight as quickly as they would like. When in doubt, underestimate!

I don't use an elliptical, but when I walk or run, I multiply my mileage by 10. This works *for my weight.*

Also, think about how much effort you're making. If the exercise gets you winded faster, you're burning more calories/minute. If it feels like you could go on forever, you're burning fewer calories/minute.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    What I found is that MFP is high, but so is the machine, my HRM is lower than both. Maybe a great investment.
  • Thank you for the great replies. The elliptical that I have has the moving handles. I'm sweating within the first 5 minutes of doing it - so I know it has to be a good burn, but I don't for see it being as many calories as MFP. I think I'll just underestimate as it was suggested (great idea)! I don't eat my exercise calories, so really "knowing exactly" isn't an issue so much as it an obsession I suppose. ;)

Thank you again! I might look into finding a HRM. Any suggestions on the best brands?
  • mrsyac2
    Thank you for the great replies. The elliptical that I have has the moving handles. I'm sweating within the first 5 minutes of doing it - so I know it has to be a good burn, but I don't for see it being as many calories as MFP. I think I'll just underestimate as it was suggested (great idea)! I don't eat my exercise calories, so really "knowing exactly" isn't an issue so much as it an obsession I suppose. ;)

Thank you again! I might look into finding a HRM. Any suggestions on the best brands?

I like the polar f4 its the cheaper of the brands it was 90.00 at target- great investment- it took me awhile to get it because it wasn't in my budget and now i love it.
  • mrsyac2

Sometimes people can't afford HRM's. :smile: So we just do what we can y'know?

your right not everyone can afford one but its also good to suggest it because before MFP I didn't know about them.....
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    I workout on the elliptical and all depends on how you workout, what level, weight, and what program. when i use mfp its off from my work bc for 40 mins on a good day on level 6 fat burn, i can get 505 calories burned. The machinces at my gym are accurate by the hrms, but every machine isnt.