Please help me decide

Options
Hello!!! I registered for the National Body Challenge in part just to get the free 30 day pass for Ballys Fitness. I have been using it every day since Sunday, only because my work schedule and my son's school schedule are a little more flexible this week. They talked to me yesterday about the offer for NBC users and said I have until Sunday to get that offer. It is $49 enrollment fee and $35 a month for 2 yrs and I get an additional yr "free". So the commitment is for 3 yrs. They also have a month to month offer and that one is the enrollment fee and $30 a month. That one I can cancel anytime according to them. I don't know what to do!!! Part of me says, "oh just take that offer and continue using the gym whenever possible" and the other part of me says "no way, dont want to commit for 3 yrs or don't even want to get into the expense of enrollment fee etc and then cancel in a couple of months". I do workout at home, have equipment, and pretty much have the motivation to exercise 5-7 days a week. I am just getting a little bored with my home workouts. I also thought I should just spend that money in getting a new program like P90x. What do you guys think??? Please help me decide. I know when I mention it to my husband he will say "whatever you decide". :laugh: It is not so much the money it is the commitment of a contract. Sorry it is long...:flowerforyou:

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! I registered for the National Body Challenge in part just to get the free 30 day pass for Ballys Fitness. I have been using it every day since Sunday, only because my work schedule and my son's school schedule are a little more flexible this week. They talked to me yesterday about the offer for NBC users and said I have until Sunday to get that offer. It is $49 enrollment fee and $35 a month for 2 yrs and I get an additional yr "free". So the commitment is for 3 yrs. They also have a month to month offer and that one is the enrollment fee and $30 a month. That one I can cancel anytime according to them. I don't know what to do!!! Part of me says, "oh just take that offer and continue using the gym whenever possible" and the other part of me says "no way, dont want to commit for 3 yrs or don't even want to get into the expense of enrollment fee etc and then cancel in a couple of months". I do workout at home, have equipment, and pretty much have the motivation to exercise 5-7 days a week. I am just getting a little bored with my home workouts. I also thought I should just spend that money in getting a new program like P90x. What do you guys think??? Please help me decide. I know when I mention it to my husband he will say "whatever you decide". :laugh: It is not so much the money it is the commitment of a contract. Sorry it is long...:flowerforyou:
  • little_wolfie
    Options
    Hmm, that is a tough one! I know I've really wanted to get a gym membership because I'm bored with my home workouts too, but then I try to think: "will I actually use this? If it is 30 degrees below zero and snowing and the roads aren't plowed and I'm tired from a long day but I've gone over my calories... will I still drive all the way there and work out?" The answer for me is usually no. :blushing: I also have a "thing" about working out in front of people though so maybe it is just me.

Despite the temptation of wanting a gym membership, I'm sticking with my squeaky old elliptical till the spring comes. Then I know I will be wanting to walk and bike and do things outside so it won't be so boring. Just gotta hang on!
  • HollyAnnH
    HollyAnnH Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would switch it up and get the P90x or other DVDs. Don't bite off too much if you are doing well working out at home. Just change it up a little and see if that works. Being a Mom too, it is really difficult to be able to forecast when we will be able to actually GET OUT to the gym. I would say if working out at home is working, but you are a little bored....just make a few small changes. Do DVDs a few days and the machines a couple or take your work out outside if you can. :flowerforyou:
  • RandJsmomMary
    Options
    I had a membership to Ballys and I used it for the time I was supposed to and when it was over I still got the charges they said that I didnt cancell it in time even tho I called 30 days in advance like they told me to to cancell it so I ended up paying for it.

I think it more exciting to work out outside as soon as it starts getting warmer here I am going to take my work outs to the beach and maybe even our local swiming pool

would I get another guy membership? No
  • csantos1182
    Options
    right now money is tight so if i spent the money on a gym membership i would definately force myself to go which could be a good thing:laugh: would they let you try it out for a few months them enroll if you decide you like it?
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Do the month-to-month.

For the NBC, you pay an extra $5 per month for 2 years. That's $120 - what you'd spend on 4 months with the month-to-month deal. So you really only get 8 months free, 9 if you include the 30-day pass.

If you have ANY concern that you may not want to be a Bally's member for 3 years, don't sign a contract!

Also, if the NBC is such a "deal," why is it an extra $5 per month, compared to the month-to-month? Sounds like a rip-off to me.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want the contract.Most people don't get the moneys worth. I personally would do month to month.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses. After reading your posts I will definitely not get the 3yr contract membership...who knows where I"ll be in 3 yrs!! :laugh: :laugh: I think I still have until the end of the month to decide on the month to month deal...I might not even get that...you are soooo right! I am very inclined to get the P90X program later on this year to take my fitness into another level :noway: Thanks again!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cutiestar26
    Options
    i have a bally's membership! my contract if for 2yrs or 3yrs i think!! i have the very top of the line membership which includes i can use the gym in other states (which is cool) i can also use the daycare and other things i can't remember! when i joined i only put a $1 down it was the offer they had at the time! the only tricky part that they don't tell you. is most of the classes they provide you have to pay. which it sucks cause they cost like$25 if i would of known that i would have never joined. so i suggest look for a local gym their always better! the only good thing since my husband is military whenever we move and they don't have a bally's i can cancel my membership with no cost! i do paid less monthly because we military discount...i just don't like the fact that i have to pay to go to an exercise class!