Chinese recipes anyone?

Options
wilted6orchid
wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
Hi all,
I'm kinda new around here and I love Chinese food. I usually cook out of an authentic Chinese cookbook (with Chinese writing on one side and English on the other). The main problem is when I go to enter it, I have no idea what I'm actually eating calorie wise. Does anyone have any tasty Chinese recipes complete with calorie counts? Or maybe you just it's not to calorie laden...I would love to hear more. Thanks!

Replies

• wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm kinda new around here and I love Chinese food. I usually cook out of an authentic Chinese cookbook (with Chinese writing on one side and English on the other). The main problem is when I go to enter it, I have no idea what I'm actually eating calorie wise. Does anyone have any tasty Chinese recipes complete with calorie counts? Or maybe you just it's not to calorie laden...I would love to hear more. Thanks!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Not sure how authentic Chinese it is but I just stir fry chicken breast with a bag of stir fry frozen veggies and some spices maybe some fresh ginger, and serve over brown rice with some low sodium soy sauce. I just use the calories on the packages.

Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • anya
    anya Posts: 3
    Options
    Here's one I use all the time.

Hot and Sour Soup
    4 cups fat-free chicken broth (College Inn low salt)
    2 Tbsp rice vinegar
    1 tsp Asian hot sauce or chili pate or to taste
    2 cups ****ake mushroooms (or reg fresh) sliced
    1/3 cup bamboo shoots, sliced
    9 oz firm tofu, about 1 cup, diced
    1 Tbsp cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsp water
    1 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 medium scallion(s) sliced

In a soup pot stir together broth, vinegar, hot sauce, soy sauce, mushrooms, bamboo shoots and tofu. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 mins. Stir in cornstarch and simmer 2 mins. more. Serve, sprinkling each bowl with scallions. Yields abou 1 cup per serving. WW points 1 Servings 6
  • megbar1979
    megbar1979 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Baked Egg Rolls. Egg rolls are AWESOME, don't really like the sauce though...

Yield
    14 servings (serving size: 1 roll and about 1 tablespoon sauce)

Ingredients
    Egg rolls:
    2/3 cup coarsely chopped celery
    2/3 cup coarsely chopped carrot
    2 cups shredded cabbage
    1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
    2/3 cup chopped onion
    1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 pound ground turkey breast
    1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    14 egg roll wrappers
    1 large egg white
    Cooking spray

Sauce:
    3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    6 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (optional)
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine celery and carrot in food processor, and pulse 10 times or until finely chopped.

Combine celery mixture and cabbage in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at high 5 minutes; drain.

Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add turkey; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cabbage mixture, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, and pepper. Cover and chill 15 minutes.

Place 1 egg roll wrapper at a time onto work surface with 1 corner pointing toward you (wrapper should look like a diamond). Trim 1 inch off right and left corners of wrapper. Spoon 3 tablespoons turkey filling into center of wrapper. Fold lower corner of egg roll wrapper over filling. Fold in trimmed corners. Moisten top corner of wrapper with egg white; roll up jelly-roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining wrappers, turkey filling, and egg white.

Lightly coat egg rolls with cooking spray, and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden brown.

To prepare sauce, combine 3/4 cup soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon ginger; serve with egg rolls. Garnish with green onions, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:79 (29% from fat)
    Fat:2.5g (sat 0.4g,mono 0.9g,poly 1.1g)
    Protein:5.7g
    Carbohydrate:8g
    Fiber:0.7g
    Cholesterol:11mg
    Iron:0.9mg
    Sodium:532mg
    Calcium:18mg