how to be happy with the success ive had...but i still have

Options
in September of last year i weighted 301lbs....my size 28 jeans were getting too tight and i had just bought a size 4X shirt....i knew i had to do something so i did...

today i weigh 210lbs and i know i should be happy with my progress but i just dont see a huge difference in the way that i look...

im still overweight...obese in fact and i will admit that im getting a little discouraged with the way that i look...

i dont have a support system which is tough but i get by...

any ideas on how i change the way i see myself? cause all i see is still a big fat, unattractive person standing before me...

Replies

• sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You cannot depend on the mirror. I have lost 120 pounds and still see the same girl in the mirror. I never have been realistic about what's in the mirror, hence the ability for me to get to 408 pounds at my highest. The best thing you can do is take pictures. Find pictures of you when you were at your highest and have someone take some new pictures of you now. Then you'll REALLY see the difference.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Time... and changing how you feel on the inside.

When I look at myself in the mirror, I STILL don't SEE a change. I know there is one, but I don't see it. So I've had to focus on the inside. And THAT feels much better. :-)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sun. Take some pictures. You look at yourself everyday and you can't see all those small changes add up. You've lost a lot and you may have a ways to go but what's your other choice. You can't go back, you've worked to hard.
    Look...it took you a while to get to your highest weight...be patient, it's going to take a while to reverse it but you've already proven what you can do. You are an inspiration to a lot of people you just don't know it yet. Stay Strong.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow! You've made some great progress! You should be very proud of how far you've come, even if you're not all the way there yet. :) As for noticing a difference, it's hard to see the change since we see ourselves in the mirror every day. With me I never really got it until a friend I haven't seen for awhile pointed it out. I was like "Really? I thought I didn't look any different!" So trust me, I'm sure the change is noticeable!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Post pictures...we'll tell you what you can't see for yourself!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i understand what you are saying. It can be hard to be happy with ourselves whether we are overweight or not. i have only recently tried to lose weight again. the people on this site give good advice. don't focus on the overall goal- focus on making small goals. focus on the other things that can be positive like looser fitting clothes, being able to wear smaller sizes, being able to physically do more and keep up with others. they are all indicators of progress, and progress gets us to our goals. so look in the mirror and be proud of all the weight you have already lost and all the progress you are making...say it out loud to yourself. it is not a bad thing to not be totally satisfied as you have more weight to lose- if you're not happy it should drive you to do more...just don't forget to celebrate small victories too!
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Over 100 pounds in a year is freaking amazing! That is serious dedication, and an inspiration. Try to focus on how you feel vs. this time last year. We are all so used to seeing ourselves a certain way, that it will take time to change that. Pull out some of your old clothes and look at them compared to what you're seeing now. And find someone, a friend, someone here, wherever you want to encourage you and remind you of how far you've come. If you want, try posting some before and after pictures. You may not be able to see it, but I bet we can.
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    WOWWW!!! You should be soooo proud of yourself! I know everyone can tell you you look great an ¥d that you've achieved so much, but YOU have to believe it. Maybe try rewarding yourself for your weight loss.. For example, when I reach a small goal, I treat myself with something small, like a pedicure or new dress. When I achieve my long term goal, I will go on a vacation! lol Also, try doing something that will give you a visual of how much you have actually lost. When I was in high school, I wanted to lose 30 pounds. For every pound I lost, I added the equivalent in magazines to a pile so that I could really see the difference. When you see a pile of 30 pounds (or whatever your goal is) of magazines on the ground, you will be proud!

Definitely don't give up, I know it is so easy to do. From experience, I know that the heavier someone is, the less of a difference there may be in their appearance until years later. Do you life weights or primarily do cardio? Adding muscle mass will increase the difference in appearance faster than just doing cardio alone. I am not going to pretend to know everything, but I for one am insanely proud of you!! Keep up the good work :)
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was just telling someone this about myself last night.

When I look in the mirror I still myself from before I started losing my weight. I feel the need to justify myself to others too whenever I post my current weight by posting my starting weight because I still have so far to go. I even feel like in some ways I'm less physically attractive now than when I started...which is really insane to be honest. Some days its hard to be proud of how far you've come, but you just have to keep reminding yourself that you are doing something for yourself that will probably be what defines your life for the rest of your life. You have lost a lot already and you can lose the rest. The person you see in the mirror right now is just the transitional phase anyway, just the cocoon...soon to be the butterfly.