Help! I love ranch dressing...

Options
So I'm new to this logging business and I am so discouraged that almost half of my total salad calories are from my dressing. I LOVE ranch, but was wondering if there were alternatives...I hate Low-Fat/Fat-Free ranch...already tried it. What dressings do you all like on your salads??

Replies

• ellyallen
    Options
    I like the low fat Italian. Also, I like the ranch you make yourself in the package. You can add buttermilk and/or fat free yogurt and it will be lower in calories but still has a good flavor.
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    I love raspberry vinaigrette. :smile:
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    the fat free from Lighthouse is really good. Otherwise Balsamic vinegar.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    jeez girl i know what ya mean im addicted to ranch and fat free jus doesnt cut it ive recently purchased the spray ranch :P have yet to try it but its a whole lot less calories than jus ranch
  • holliemckeeth
    Options
    I use cottage cheese and sprinkle it with ranch dressing powder mix.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    fat free ranch is 30 calories.
    get it.!

i have the same love for ranch :D !
  • loseatonlady
    Options
    That's a hard one to ween yourself off of. I like the Balsamic Vingrettes, and even just plain Apple Cider Ving & Oil mix! Have you tried having it on the side and dipping your fork into it before you take a bite? That's a WW trick - at least until you develop a taste for another. Unfortunately any creamy based dressing is not good. They do take up too many calories & the others take less - which is why people use them.
    Best wishes & if you need some encouragment - find me! Love sharing the journey!
    Janelle
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    well usually i get a ceasar salad (*not as healthy as regular salads but whtever*) however i get the dressing on the side and basically just scoop a little bit per bit of salad and usually end up with half a packet of dressing left by the time the salad is gone, ive gotten more and more used to the taste of just the lettuce and veggies without dressing.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    In a tiny little bowl, mix your ranch dressing with a tablespoon of milk. It thins it out, allowing the flavor to spread all over your salad, requiring you to use less (or just the actual 2 tbsp serving size). Works like a charm.
  • Dohrnl
    Dohrnl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to love condiments. Salad dressing is HUGE for me. I found Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressings were low-cal and satisfying! They have so many different kinds, and they are only about 35-50 calories per serving. They have a ranch one, but I am more of a honey mustard or chunky blue cheese girl. It took a bit to get use to the different taste, but now I can't go back!
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    balsamic vinaigrette is my fav it is tastey but low fat :)
  • calemanlds
    Options
    Im very Big on getting accurate calorie content so I measure all the food I consume even if it is tablespoons! usually you will be surprised what a single serving mixed around in your salads would cover. dont over pour! you will ruin the salad. instead liven it up with flavorful things like tangerines, apples, avocados, berries but dont put nuts, they are usually high in calories and fat. Low fat/ or light italian its greattt!
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Balsalmic Vinaigrette It's awesome, and has decent calories.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the "low fat" versions of dressing, but if I use full-fat dressing I just measure it carefully and use about half what I normally would. Saves on calories but you can still get the taste that way :)
  • cwbzfan
    cwbzfan Posts: 14
    Options
    I get the dry ranch dressing mix and instead of mayo use plain yogurt. It isn't as thick but tastes very close to the same as ranch and is very low in calories.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Google 'Walden Farms'

They make calorie-free everything.

Pretty much fake, and all water, chemically. But they taste nearly identical.

You're welcome.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    In a tiny little bowl, mix your ranch dressing with a tablespoon of milk. It thins it out, allowing the flavor to spread all over your salad, requiring you to use less (or just the actual 2 tbsp serving size). Works like a charm.

I use the 2 tbsp serving and add 1 tbsp of water to thin it out so I get the flavor.
  • blondski
    blondski Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms have several......they are no fat, sugar, carbs. It is a thin dressing, but really good!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This is how iit survived till i learned to go without.

Fat Free Ranches Dressing

1 (24oz) container Fat Free Cottage Cheese 1/2-3/4 cup skim milk 1 TBS white vinegar 1 envelope Ranch Dressing Mix

Blend in food processer or blender until smooth. 12 calories and zero fat per TBS!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You should do a search on this topic. I posted the recipe for homemade ranch yesterday. Someone had the EXACT same question.

:flowerforyou: