College Losers... Weight loss that is... Vent --> Q&A

I have a few questions for the college students (but all is welcome to respond)

Depending on your campus, do you log in everytime you walked from one class to the other? Or from one side to the other? Etc?

Do you use your rec center/gym? If so, do you take aerobics, dance classes, play intramural sports, etc.?

Do you get "stares" or "subliminal comments" about your weight loss progress?

Do you feel there are alot of temptations that makes it hard to lose weight?

I honestly just want to know, I have so many questions, but my point for asking these is because, I'm studying right now and I realize that I really thought this would be easy to lose weight, change habits, etc. But it can be really hard (due to peers, friends, the snack machines, stress, the loud parties next door, etc... What do you do to stay focus on your health goals?

Replies

• I do not count all my walking across campus because I don't think that technically is "exercise" because the pace I go is slow/moderate and that would be too many things to log.

I use the gym when I find time, but since I live off campus I usually just run outside but once it gets cold I will be making more trips to the indoor facility where it's nice and warm :)
    I
    think there are going to be people (college or in the real world) who will try to knock you for anything you do. there will be people who do it out of jealousy, or people who just want to compete, or people who are just confrontational about everything. you have to learn to live with those subliminal comments...ignoring them or using them for motivation!

temptations are endless, especially in college, all the food/drinks/etc. it's all to be social, but you have to learn to say no sometimes and avoid the things that are tempting. it's all about self-control
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    I have a few questions for the college students (but all is welcome to respond)

Depending on your campus, do you log in everytime you walked from one class to the other? Or from one side to the other? Etc?

Do you use your rec center/gym? If so, do you take aerobics, dance classes, play intramural sports, etc.?

I honestly just want to know, I have so many questions, but my point for asking these is because, I'm studying right now and I realize that I really thought this would be easy to lose weight, change habits, etc. But it can be really hard (due to peers, friends, the snack machines, stress, the loud parties next door, etc... What do you do to stay focus on your health goals?

1) I only do if it's way more than normal. On average, I walk about 30 min each day on campus. However, one day a couple weeks ago was over an hour, so I logged half. If I feel like I got a workout, then yes!
    2) YES! I only use it on weekends and just use the small one at my apt. during the week. I love, love, LOVE my rec! I do a combo of elliptical/bike/stairmaster/weights and sometimes swim laps. I don't have a group ex pass this semester...too expensive :(...but I did last semester and LOVED IT! I did it this summer, too, at my local gym back home. Yoga, kickboxing, Zumba, and especially spinning, were my favs!
    3) Yes! I've also gotten more phone numbers...haha, sad, but true! And yes, I get compliments, and worried concerns unfortunately, from friends and family, and even strangers!
    4) Sometimes, yes...I am badddd with going out to eat or social gatherings. You just have to stick to it as best you can, remember it's ok to fall off sometimes, and get right back on it!

I can totally relate to the last part. I use exercise as my escape, and when I want to order pizza, call for Chinese or pick up fast food, I come on this site, and I realize how disgusting the food makes me feel as well. Sometimes, I even look up healthy recipes, which gets me excited instead. If I do splurge, I don't let it get me down, and get right back on it. During the week, I have a small treat each night, and once a week or every two weeks I get frozen yogurt or a treat out. :)
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Depending on your campus, do you log in everytime you walked from one class to the other? Or from one side to the other? Etc? I don't use my walking as exercise because my body gets used to this and it's more in daily activity (can be changed in settings)

Do you use your rec center/gym? If so, do you take aerobics, dance classes, play intramural sports, etc.? I use my rec center 6 days a week. I'm not currently taking any classes there, but I plan on it next year.

Do you get "stares" or "subliminal comments" about your weight loss progress? I haven't had any stares or anything like that. All I get is compliments (a lot of them actually)

There are a HUGE amount of temptations that can make it hard. The drinking every weekend night, plus some weekends (which I'm not doing much anymore), also the deserts that are always right there. And all the extremely high calorie food that stares right at you all the time. It's pretty much about fitting it in the best you can.

I'm far from perfect (sometimes I snack too much but it's ALWAYS within my calories, and it's not usually the healithest food. But I do the best I can with what I have. My new motivation is all the compliments I've been getting. It makes me feel so good, and I don't want to go back tot he way it was. Also, the boys reaction is totally worth it. Loud parties next door: ipod. Works everytime. I ignore snack machines and deal with what I have, and I find that my friends haven't been pressuring me as much. Maybe a bit with the drinking, but I just tell them not tonight and they leave it alone.

You can do this!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Ok... so answers lol

No, I dont log my walks...i just let those calories be extra calories

I only use my gym when I have to (i feel uncomfortable there, but that's just me) and when i do go, i run outside. I do have a gym membership elsewhere and when that runs out, i'll go to the RAC.

I do get comments. Some good, some bad. At this point people are telling me I need to stop losing, "I'm going to float away", "I'm getting too thin" (my boss said that actually), but a lot of people are just saying that they can tell I've lost weight. People I haven't seen in a while don't recognize me (which is good because theres a reason i havent seen them lol). Overall it's good though. They better notice, I've worked my *kitten* off for 6 months!

I've been at this so long that I don't have temptations really. If you make it a habit you get used to it. If I know I'm going to the bar, I'll go to the gym or eat well during the day so I can have some drinks etc. I don't over indulge in things, but I do indulge every once in awhile. It's all about balance.

Pack some snacks, make your own lunch etc. If you go out to eat, order something that you can make yourself. I'll get a steak with no butter on it and veggies since a steak is a steak no matter where you go. You can make healthy choices without feeling like you're giving up a lot. I remind myself of how I was and remind myself of all the hard work I've put into losing weight and becoming healthy. It motivates me to keep going and not fall off the wagon. I also make sure to get to the gym. You'll never regret a workout. You'll regret not going though. I take days off, but I go to the gym at least 4 times a week.
  • bmthornton
    bmthornton Posts: 1 Member
    I used to walk to class in stead of taking the bus. I lived in a dorm that was a 10 minute walk to my classes, so I counted it in my log.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Nope. I'm set as "lightly active" because I walk everywhere.

Yep! I go to various classes, or just hit up the elliptical or something. We have a very comprehensive athletic centre.

Nope. I go to a very active school so people are always at the gym comparing lifting/protein/calories/what have you.

Lots of temptations yes, but I have so many resources to counter it. IE: if I want to drink on Saturday night, I can walk to the gym that morning. In terms of snacks, my roomies are also super healthy so we always have good snacky food :)
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Ok thanks everyone! I need some people I can relate to a little. I walk so much on campus (and I power walk most of the time) and so I was wondering if I should add anything.

I use the gym a few days of the week but I love running, so I would run around the campus, but I actually have a small little weight set up at my apartment so I lift weights at my apartment, because all the guys be sweating all over the massive huge weight lifting section at our rec center lol.

Yea I was walking to this building where I do my undergrad research at, and I got M&M's (having had candy in a month) and felt horrible and felt like I wanted to just throw up (I was so upset I ate them)

My replacement is drinking tea when I study, but then I try not to resort to other foods.

Also, I found out my problem: I cant cook lol.... I dont like to cook at all.... I also dont snack often because of my busy schedule....And in the spur of the time I do have I chose the wrong things..But i love salads and will eat them all the time... My eating patterns are really messed up lol... Plus a professor or two that I am close with and work with..always offering me cakes, pies, etc lol not cool..and those professors are in top notch shape..They look like women fitness models than they do as teachers lol....Ok I had to vent... lol
  • Fiyero
    Fiyero Posts: 31
    Hi,

I don't generally log walking across campus. I probably do 30 minutes of walking per day though so maybe I should. Just never thought it was enough to bother with.

I am not particularly comfortable in large gyms. I live in res though and our commons block has a small workout room that I do use.

As for snacking pressures etc, I will usually have a protein bar with me for those long class sessions where I know I will be hungry. I also bring my water bottle which in addition to giving me needed water does help to control appetite. I wouldn't say people have noticed, though maybe as I progress...
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Hi! Here are some answers to your questions for students

I don't log walking around campus, but I did change my activity level to lightly active. I think this works for me, we have a huggee campus and I live 4 blocks off the opposite side as all my classes so walk lots!

I have been to the gym here once but it is really out of the way for me, so I honestly don't see myself using it much. Although i would like to!

No one notices my weight loss :) I'm too new on campus!

Oh goodness the temptations are everywhere. My friends are always going out for beer and wings and they have free BBQs all the time with horrible food on campus. It HARD but I am trying!

I mess up all the time, as you can see from my diary... but I log almost every day and I try to stay on track when I can. Good luck! xoxo
  • jbrod19
    jbrod19 Posts: 47 Member
    Hey! I'm a junior in college, so anyone feel free to add me! I love having college support!

Nope, I don't log when I walk to class (even though the location of one of my classes requires climbing a BUNCH of stairs). I just think of it as an added benefit, which will hopefully help my weight loss!

Yep, I use my gym 3-4 times a week and go to a spinning class 2 times a week. My gym is REALLY nice though haha we just got a new one.

When I got back to school after the summer, all of my friends definitely commented on my weight loss (I lost about 15 lbs this summer). However, one of my roommates/best friends is completely against counting calories and thinks that it's a really unhealthy approach to weight loss (no idea why...) so I never really talk about it in front of her. One of my other roommates is also trying to lose weight so we go to the gym a lot together which is fun and makes me go!!

OMG there are definitely a lot of temptations that make it hard to lose weight! First, my fridge!!! I have 3 other roommates and only 1 of them is really weight-conscious (one can eat whatever she wants and is tiny, and the other one seems not to care about her weight...). Second, alcohol!! I mean it's college.... haha but I try to drink in moderation and I make sure that every night I go out and drink that I definitely exercise that day and "earn" my drinking calories!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Hey! I'm a junior in college, so anyone feel free to add me! I love having college support!

Nope, I don't log when I walk to class (even though the location of one of my classes requires climbing a BUNCH of stairs). I just think of it as an added benefit, which will hopefully help my weight loss!

Yep, I use my gym 3-4 times a week and go to a spinning class 2 times a week. My gym is REALLY nice though haha we just got a new one.

When I got back to school after the summer, all of my friends definitely commented on my weight loss (I lost about 15 lbs this summer). However, one of my roommates/best friends is completely against counting calories and thinks that it's a really unhealthy approach to weight loss (no idea why...) so I never really talk about it in front of her. One of my other roommates is also trying to lose weight so we go to the gym a lot together which is fun and makes me go!!

OMG there are definitely a lot of temptations that make it hard to lose weight! First, my fridge!!! I have 3 other roommates and only 1 of them is really weight-conscious (one can eat whatever she wants and is tiny, and the other one seems not to care about her weight...). Second, alcohol!! I mean it's college.... haha but I try to drink in moderation and I make sure that every night I go out and drink that I definitely exercise that day and "earn" my drinking calories!

Ok so majorty rules about not logging in the walking around campus... i like that -- seeing the walking as an extra benefit

I think I really need a workout buddy... All my friends are either too busy, work too much, just dont want to, etc... Lol a few of my friends go, but its when I cant go, etc... But even with my hectic schedule, its hard to eat when needed and at the end of the day, I workout late, and I eat what I can to catch up sometimes. lol
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    No. I am set to lightly active, and I walk on average 3.5 miles a day. (yes, I have calculated it lol)

No. I run cross country for my university tho!

yeah. people get jealous or don't understand because i'm already :skinny:

not really. I actually think it's gross when everyone else is chowing down. lol
  • bugsygal89
    bugsygal89 Posts: 48 Member
    I know exactly how hard it is to lose weight at college! I just recently graduated and am realizing how much easier it is to stay fit now that I'm out. My problem is I put on weight with stress (and college is stressful).

I never liked including walking to and from classes as exercise only because I feel that it doesn't quite get your heart rate active or challenged (unless you have to climb like 5 sets of stairs!). I did love taking campus classes but in all honesty? I was best at losing weight when I attended a regular gym and when my roommate and I would cook together. Campus food is terrible (mostly) and mysterious so I would only eat their food in emergencies or when I wanted some veggies/HonesTea on the way to class.

BTW I HATE those stares/comments. I don't really find it flattering because I think that being fit is about yourself. Getting all that attention? Just makes me self-conscious because I realize that people DO pay attention to your size, whether they realize it or not.

So anyways, if you don't have time to hit the gym because of school, try your hardest to make the time and fit it in your schedule. I finally came to the realization this summer that your health comes first. It sucks and it's annoying BUT if you stick with it, you'll start to feel so amazing about yourself (or you can always just do small weight-lifting in your room while studying if you really don't have time lol)

I know senior year is rough (that's when I gained all my weight!) but I think you can do it :-) I hope you can find a workout buddy though because those certainly help!