eating out of emotion...

Options
I've learned that when I get sad, depressed, angry, etc... I turn to food. To anyone else with this problem, what substitues have you found or techniques have you learned to help you avoid this behavoir???

I'm having a stressful day. I'm craving fast food on the way home from work. :sad:

Replies

• Samanimal83
    Samanimal83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've learned that when I get sad, depressed, angry, etc... I turn to food. To anyone else with this problem, what substitues have you found or techniques have you learned to help you avoid this behavoir???

I'm having a stressful day. I'm craving fast food on the way home from work. :sad:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, I am a big time emotional and boredom eater...I just read a book about this topic (which I wouldn't recommend because it was pretty off the wall), but one good thing I got out of it is that if you are craving something or have an urge to eat that isn't genuine hunger, make yourself wait 10 minutes. Use that 10 minutes to take a little walk, do some stretches, drink some water, have some tea, whatever...just make yourself wait 10 minutes. Think about why you want to eat and whether eating at this particular time is consistent with your long term health goals. If, after 10 minutes, you've managed not to eat, celebrate...but not with food. Tell yourself that you've done well and that you are working toward a goal that is bigger and better than whatever it was you wanted to eat. If you still want to eat after the 10 minutes, the book says to go ahead and eat it, but to eat it knowing that you understand why you wanted to eat and that by waiting the 10 minutes you took some control over your goals. I'm not sure I agree with that last part, but like I said the book was a little off the wall.
  • stormysmom
    Options
    I do the same thing. I have tried to keep a healthy snack on me if I am out. At home make sure not to have any of the junk for in the house.

Going for a walk seems to help my mood. Or call a friend and just let it all out.

123455.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • julierose
    julierose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of waiting 10 minutes. I think I'm going to try it
  • bograham
    Options
    I'm a huge emotional eater too. I feel your pain and frustration. Today I was at the supermarket and received a stressful phone call and immediately bought a bag of M&Ms. They actually made me feel GREAT for about five minutes...then I felt terrible all day. I'm still struggling to find a way to ward this off....any suggestions...you are not alone!
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i know wat ur going through cuz all my friedns and sisters are liek that even my mom but myself when im drpessed, i dont eat and im depressed quite frequently
    when iget depressed i wont eat for a week or more.

im kind emotionally unstable so it tends ot happen alot
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I'm still a work in progress on this issue, but here's what I'm trying now. I ask myself why I want to eat. For instance, if I'm mad at someone, then I ask, can I resolve the problem that's causing it. If so, resolve it. Like if I'm mad at my husband, go talk to him. If I can't resolve it, then I ask, how will I feel after I eat ____ (whatever I'm craving), will I feel better or worse. Usually having this little dialog helps. I know they say exercise or take a walk but sometimes circumstances don't allow it. Then maybe vent to someone you know you can talk to, or post/read posts here.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, I am a big time emotional and boredom eater...I just read a book about this topic (which I wouldn't recommend because it was pretty off the wall), but one good thing I got out of it is that if you are craving something or have an urge to eat that isn't genuine hunger, make yourself wait 10 minutes. Use that 10 minutes to take a little walk, do some stretches, drink some water, have some tea, whatever...just make yourself wait 10 minutes. Think about why you want to eat and whether eating at this particular time is consistent with your long term health goals. If, after 10 minutes, you've managed not to eat, celebrate...but not with food. Tell yourself that you've done well and that you are working toward a goal that is bigger and better than whatever it was you wanted to eat. If you still want to eat after the 10 minutes, the book says to go ahead and eat it, but to eat it knowing that you understand why you wanted to eat and that by waiting the 10 minutes you took some control over your goals. I'm not sure I agree with that last part, but like I said the book was a little off the wall.

I use to do that with smoking. If I still had the urge to smoke after 10 minutes, I'd demand 10 more minutes of myself... pretty effective in helping me get over urges and smoking too often.
  • FoxyLoxy
    FoxyLoxy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am the same way and the only thing that I have found that works is to just not keep junk food at hand otherwise I am weak and off the charts. Plus I work 3rd shift and find myself eating to stay awake - its horrible really. I've been stocking up on 100 calorie kettle corn because its sweet and salty and chocolate chip granola bars. I also buy the Hershey Extra Dark Chocolate bars and keep them in the freezer. I'm usually okay after I break off one square and suck on it - its so rich that it helps to satisfy any of those emotional chocolate cravings.
  • WantToBeMoreActive
    Options
    Wow, there's a lot of us with this issue!!!

The 10 min waiting rule does work....I was VERY sceptical when I heard about it but it works :bigsmile:

I buy snacksize things and ALWAYS have something in my purse to eat when I'm out: nuts, sesame seeds, trail mix. I'm a bit hypo glycemic so I can't go too long without eating. :wink:

Going for a walk helps, especially if you can go with a friend so you can vent. :blushing:

Phone someone so you can vent, it really helps to get things off your chest :flowerforyou: