Almonds - how much is too much?

Options
I am loving no salted almonds to snack on and almond butter in my protein shakes.

As a result, my daily fat % is between 30% - 40%. I could easily eat more if it was healthy? It's pretty much all the fat I eat besides the occasional olive oil and coconut oil. Even with the almonds, my net calories are low enough to lose weight. I workout twice a day. But is that too much fat?

Should I be concerned about a high healthy fat %?

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you are not over your cal goal, you are fine. My fat goal is set to 30% right now and I'm fine. Like you said, almonds are healthy fats.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a better way to look at it is "how much is enough?".
    I find that I don't need a lot of almonds for a snack - about 12 is plenty.

Having said that, if you are coming in under your calorie goals and the fat is coming from unprocessed stuff it probably isn't going to be an issue. I do think that moderation and variety of foods are good things though!
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    i would only eat a handful. Also no salt or sea salt options.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just think moderation dude.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think you are fine. Healthy fats are a good use of calories, especially almonds. Fat is your friend, not your enemy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds everyday. I really love them (and have actually found I'd choose a chocolate almond over a candy bar!) and I am maintaining my weight.

They aren't bad for you, so I wouldn't worry as long as you're watching your calories. :)
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, an ounce per day is enough.
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Almonds have healthy fats, so you shouldn't be concerned with them in the same way you'd be concerned about a cheeseburger. On the "how much" issue, you shouldn't use them as a continual snack throughout the day. Even though they DO have healthy fats, there is such thing as "too much of a good thing." Stick to a handful (8-12) of almonds per day.