apple cider vinegar...bad for you?

Options
okay so a friend of mine introduced me to apple cider vinegar. She takes shots of it everyday and claims it has all these health benefits (better skin, weight loss etc).

The shot was gross, so I found a recipe for it. Mixing a shot with a pint of water and some honey. Well I am OBSESSED with it now. I'm serious, I crave it, it's delicious.

So I did some research and I guess these so called health claims are unreported, and some people have said that it makes your potassium levels low , and removes enamel from your teeth.

So now I don't know what to believe, but like I said I am OBSESSED with drinking it. In fact I am going to make some now.

Thoughts?

Replies

• rider777
    Options
    i too heard it was good for you...cant say i am taking shorts of it...but i do know my parents are into it...
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it did nothing for the weight loss and gave me an ulcer, it's very hard on your stomach, be careful!
  • Sunbeam224
    Sunbeam224 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i'm just thinking that to much of anything is not good for you. I personally would not drink the vinegar every day because of all the acidity in it. I would think that would be bad for the stomach.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I can't wait to hear what people say, because I'm completely addicted to diet pop, and really need to curb that. I think the only way I'll break that habit is to get hooked on something else.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that a shot of it in a glass of water with some honey is going to be harmful. People drink worse things than that.....
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I can't wait to hear what people say, because I'm completely addicted to diet pop, and really need to curb that. I think the only way I'll break that habit is to get hooked on something else.

Water is a great thing to get hooked on :laugh:
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I tried it one day and thought it was gross. I might try it again with honey.

However, I wouldn't drink it every day or get hooked on it just to be on the safe side because I have heard that it can be rough since it's high in acid.
  • bellatiamarie
    bellatiamarie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i take acv in pill form (when i remember)... it mainly helps me get rid of excess water weight.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kiznmakeup
    Options
    I use the Braggs from Henrys. I use the same recipe as you do. I warm the water add two teaspoons of vinegar then add the vinegar then the honey.
    I hope it does not make my potassium levels go down mine is low .. I hear the vinegar is good on salads. Not to sure about ruining your teeth enamel I would think that would happen if you drank it straight..

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

Dosages and recipes

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html#DRINKACV
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If it's diluted, I don't see it doing much damage to your enamel. If you want to be safe, start using Pronamel or something similar to protect your teeth.

As for messing with electrolytes.. I have no idea if the low potassium claim is legit. But just be on the lookout for any changes in your body. If you notice muscle weakness, cramps, or aches, back off and eat a couple bananas.
  • cgeiser1
    cgeiser1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I can't imagine that a shot of it in a glass of water with some honey is going to be harmful. People drink worse things than that.....

That's what I was thinking, I mean I could be addicted to a lot worse.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    okay so a friend of mine introduced me to apple cider vinegar. She takes shots of it everyday and claims it has all these health benefits (better skin, weight loss etc).

The shot was gross, so I found a recipe for it. Mixing a shot with a pint of water and some honey. Well I am OBSESSED with it now. I'm serious, I crave it, it's delicious.

So I did some research and I guess these so called health claims are unreported, and some people have said that it makes your potassium levels low , and removes enamel from your teeth.

So now I don't know what to believe, but like I said I am OBSESSED with drinking it. In fact I am going to make some now.

Thoughts?
    It's actually good to help stave off cravings.
  • stephanie_88
    Options
    The ACV is an acid outside your body but once inside your stomach it becomes alkaline. I drink the same recipe as you every night and no longer have acid reflux.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Drink it through a straw to prevent damage to the teeth.

But it does have plenty of good benefits. My friend takes it (mainly for her knees since she wrecked her knees with Insanity) everyday and that's helped with her knees a lot.

I want to start taking it everyday but I ... just haven't gotten around to buying some...
  • Jelleebean
    Options
    i tried the pill form about 10 years ago or so... all it made me do was burp apples the rest of the day. i couldn't imagine drinking the stuff.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Taking an acid like apple cider vinegre after your meal will lower the GI level of that meal. This is why many use it to assist in weight loss. They get a lower insulin response.

Its not that big a difference I would imagine.

As for your teeth, do not brush your teeth within 2 hours of drinking any acidic substance, be it coca cola or vinegre, as the enamal is soft and you can damage it over time.

As for causing ulcers, I seriously doubt it. The natural acid in your stomach is far more corrosive. I would say it likely annoys small ulcers you may already have. Most ulcers are caused by viruses.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I've used it with some success to get rid of ringworm on kittens :bigsmile:
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Do a search for Dr. Jarvis of Vermont. He was a huge proponent of an apple cider vinegar and honey formula for good overall health.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Taking an acid like apple cider vinegre after your meal will lower the GI level of that meal. This is why many use it to assist in weight loss. They get a lower insulin response.

Its not that big a difference I would imagine.

As for your teeth, do not brush your teeth within 2 hours of drinking any acidic substance, be it coca cola or vinegre, as the enamal is soft and you can damage it over time.

As for causing ulcers, I seriously doubt it. The natural acid in your stomach is far more corrosive. I would say it likely annoys small ulcers you may already have. Most ulcers are caused by viruses.

^^^^^^^^
    This guy nailed it.

Also, if you're worried about the teeth aspect, just get it in pill form. That's what I take.