how a fast runner got faster -my story

Options
I've been an on and off runner -but mostly on- for over twenty years, and a fairly successful one at races. I would typically place in the top 10-15% of the women at races, At smaller races, I may have taken second or third place here or there.

This year, that completely changed.

Over the summer I have entered five races, and I have won, won my age group, or placed in all except one, where I was one place away. Some were huge races, some were a little boutique. I have run faster than I did even at my peak distance form ten years ago when I qualified for the Boston marathon twice before taking a break. I ran a faster four miles at the end of a triathlon than I used to just running only a four mile race as hard as I could.

I wanted to share with other MFP runners what I did in the hopes that my experience can help them. Some of these are lifestyle changes you may be able to make; others are simply factors sometimes beyond one's control -and some may lie beyond the reach of some people who are just getting into the sport. As you will see, I made many changes, and I can't say whether one factor dominated over others. I assume they were all contributing factors.

1) I began running in Vibrams for most of my runs

2) I started MFP in February 2011 and lost ~15 lbs

3) I cut all sugars and other sweeteners except for naturally occurring sugar in fruit

4) I rarely eat "pure" carbs (even the good ones, like whole grains) and focus more on maxing the vegetables. (I do eat a lot of dairy, primarily yogurt and cheese, and that I am not promoting.) I was before and am still mostly vegetarian.

5) Last year I lived on the side of a mountain and about once a week I ran to the top as fast as I could. It was about 4 miles to the top, and quite steep. (I had been running primarily on trails for two years before this.)

6) I began swimming with a Master's team 4-6 days a week, and ran maybe 1-2 times a week. This has lasted for over a year. (Probably if I trained a little more, I might even be a bit faster, but I'm really into the swimming thing for now.)

7) I quit my stressful, low-sleep job and got a new, less-stressful job that required less traveling. My awesome new job is in the geographic location where I have always wanted to live.

In short, I feel faster, healthier, thinner, and happier than I've been in a long time! In no small part thanks to MFP!

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story..... very similar to mine as well! Now, if I could only master the eating part. :tongue:
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    that was an inspirational post, and it sounds like you had an interesting journey, getting in touch with your soul. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

- I am hoping to get faster, but I am going to take my time getting there. I may even one day try vibrams too - I looked into chi running ... but I will probably take my time on this since I am currently struggling with a heel/tendinitis injury, but once that is out of the way I am going to try those out.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    LOVE this.

I too am a vegetarian runner who loves her vibrams! Losing 15 lbs made me go 20 minutes faster on my halfs.

i'm very intrigued on your cutting out of sugars...i've heard this suggestion from several friends but I just dont know how sustainable this is and i'm very anti-diet. Have you sustained this for a while? Do you carb-binge? Do you miss rice and grains?

I really like your point about steep hill running and quitting your stressful job... unfortunately these aren't things I can do.

Great work!

Thanks for sharing!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Awesome work. Thanks for sharing!

I need to get my VFF's back on :/
  • msfitmom
    msfitmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    VERY cool. As a runner trying desperately to get faster (trying to qualify for Boston this Sunday!) I really appreciated this post.

I don't need to lose any significant weight - 5 lbs max if that - but am very interested in runners who are vegetarians/vegans because I am considering this as well. Any insight/diet plans you can share would be much appreciated!

I myself run in Newtons after being chained in the most heavy, supportive shoe possible for over a decade because of massive foot and hip issues. But I love the freedom of how my feet feel in minimalist shoes and I've found that yes, my hips hurt still but my feet feel great! So maybe the next step is Vibrams. We'll see.

I've been Eating Clean for about 2 years now and am very used to eating meat but am very interested in changing that, but not sure how. Any advice you vegetarian runners can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring! I've been running, for the most part, for ten years. I've struggled with knee and hip pain until three years ago when I started lifting weights three times a week. It strengthened my supporting muscles and has all but eliminated my joint pain. Last november I trained (this wasn't anything organized, just me getting up to six miles) a 10k. I finished in 59:30 and was very proud... It was my first 10k under an hour. Then I started researching some good training regimens. Also, I started getting my diet in check. By March I'd dropped ten lbs and began training the right way for a half marathon. I finished the half in 1:56. Then in the course of the next two months I dropped another 4 lbs and ran in another 10k. I finished in 54 minutes. I never felt over weight or out of shape, but it shows what a little organization and self control will do. I'm now training for a 9-mile obstacle course called "the Urbanathalon" in San Francisco. I'm so excited!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I came in expecting something stupid, or you tryin to sell some sorta program or something..

But that info was really surprising and impressive.

One of the best posts I've seen in my 2 weeks here.

Great work for sure, very inspiring and I don't really run at all.

Best of luck with future goals!

:drinker:
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! I've had some success this year with my running and fitness level too. After joining MFP, I lost over 20 pounds. MFP has helped me make healthier choices. Also, I switched to a more natural running style over the summer. With the switch, I began running in a pair of Newton trainers, and I now experience less pain after my runs. I've noticed my runs are getting longer and my pace is gradually getting faster and easier to sustain. I actually have to go longer because my runs take less effort.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Great story!

I can relate to a few things you did, eating better and changing my running stride slightly I feel have helped my speed. Along with the very basic "running more often".
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for the positive & supportive responses! That's one of the things I love about MFP.

To follow up with a few of the response questions:

I'm not terribly militant about any rules, and I think that's been the secret to my success. Once I stop enjoying something, I don't see the point in doing it.
    Sometimes I crave chocolate, and I will give in to that from time to time.
    Going out to eat, the healthiest choice is rarely the vegetarian entree (I'll eat baked salmon over the heavy white flour carb dishes with no vegetables that get served under "vegetarian.")
    My boyfriend is not vegetarian and if he's coming over, we may have fish. Or his family may be serving meat.
    I think meat /fish do have a place in my diet every once in awhile, and I try to listen to what my body is telling me.

Cutting out the sweeteners was probably the hardest part because they tend to be in everything, even things you would not expect, and also because I love chocolate. I am pretty adamant about avoiding anything with white flour or refined sugar. I definitely do not crave carbs the way I crave chocolate. Sometimes I'll feel like I need more carbs, and then I will eat whole grains.

I have always had the same approach with workouts. I was never one of those marathon runners who said "I have to do my 15 mi run on x day, and my sprint workout on y day." I would have a mental plan of what I generally wanted to accomplish at the start of the week, and I would follow the plan according to how my body felt on particular days. e.g. I feel fast and energetic all day =sprint workout.

I should have added one more item to my original list of changes: I started drinking lots and lots of water.