Debating joining the Marines and confused. Opinions?

Options
Hey guys. Please excuse my ignorance about this and any of my missuse of terms. So I'm currently debating enlisting in the Marines so I can gain some assistance through college. I think many of the skills acquired are a once in a life time opportunity but I'm hesitant when it comes to leaving my partner for long periods of time or making her worry, active duty during a war I don't agree with and many other doubts. I come from a very anti-military family other than my grandfather who served in the marines back in WWII but died when I was an infant so my general idea of the military has always been a negative one but I don't know how to pay for my education otherwise and some of the skills learned are amazing. And who knows, maybe it will be fun (eh?). I was thinking of maybe doing an ROTC program at my university but wanted to ask for opinions on here of what people think.

So, what is life like as a marine or doing an ROTC program? What limitations/perks come along with it? What is active duty like? What will it be like for my partner if I serve? If you are doing this or know someone doing this please let me know what it is like.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    I have relatives in the Armed services reserve after serving a 4 year term. They now have money for college and are attending now. If you can get paid and get free money for college without big endangerment to your life, I say go for it. And why not try the Air Force instead?
  • ACowboyKid
    Options
    The reason I was thinking the marines is because of my grandfather, the challenge and the reputation of the marines. But why do you recommend the air force?
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you're in it for the perks and don't agree with the mission, then it may not be that great for you, especially if you get deployed to fight the very war you are against. Maybe you can overlook that, but it's definitely something to consider.
    If you're only in it for college money, you may want to consider the Army instead. All the branches have the GI Bill which gives you money for college, but the Army also has the Army College Fund which provides even more money for college. It only applies to certain jobs, and you have to achieve minimum test scores and whatnot, but you'd get more return on your investment, especially if that's your whole purpose for joining.
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    If you are are thinking about enlisting but you are against enlisting during a war then you should not enlist in the Marines. Marines are known for first in last out. They are more of the reactionay force of the military. They concentrate on fighting the skills needed during a fight and everyone is concidered a basic rifleman. If you are looking for an education and ROTC assistance I would look more towards the Army, Navy or Air Force. Feel free to message me for any questions I was in the Marines for 12 years glad to offer any insight you want.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    During a war you are much more likely to get deployed, especially in the Marines. I would talk to different recruitment officers regarding your enlistment. Once you are in it is very difficult to get out so please weigh all your options. Going to war is a possibility so def take that into consideration.

The benefits are great, but you will have to leave your partner for extended periods of time. Weeks, perhaps months depending on your basic training and tech school.
  • sarah_ep
    Options
    Have you tried to apply to any other grants, scholarships, or financial aid? If you are against war I do not recommend this.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    If you are anti-war, don't join the military - any branch. Don't compromise who you are and what you believe for money. Joining the military is signing up to go to war. Some never get sent - but that isn't very many - and a dishonorable discharge for refusing to go where you are sent will result in not getting the college funds, anyway.
  • ACowboyKid
    Options
    I'm not anti-war just this one seems absurd and would see this as a huge challenge which might be something I need in my life. That's one of the things I did find inticing about the marines as well was the physical challenge. I have looked elsewhere and unfortunately my parents make far too much money for me much financial assistance but I'm not receiving any financial aid from my family either. So this is one of the options I have that I'm looking into and thus making myself sound completely ignorant in hopes of just learning a little more without speaking to recruiters. This is me looking at all options and admiring the physical aspects of the military option. Does that make sense? I appreciate everyone's advice. It's good to hear what others say to help formulate your own opinions thanks guys.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I'm not Marines but I'm Navy, you can message me with questions if you'd like.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Also, I obviously don't know you, but if you can't take a joke and hang with the boys the military is not for you (have to throw that out there-sick of hearing females around me cry about dumb stuff).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    The reason I was thinking the marines is because of my grandfather, the challenge and the reputation of the marines. But why do you recommend the air force?
    Because you don't really have to put your life in danger and they pay better than the Marines.
  • sarah_ep
    Options
    I'm not anti-war just this one seems absurd and would see this as a huge challenge which might be something I need in my life. That's one of the things I did find inticing about the marines as well was the physical challenge. I have looked elsewhere and unfortunately my parents make far too much money for me much financial assistance but I'm not receiving any financial aid from my family either. So this is one of the options I have that I'm looking into and thus making myself sound completely ignorant in hopes of just learning a little more without speaking to recruiters. This is me looking at all options and admiring the physical aspects of the military option. Does that make sense? I appreciate everyone's advice. It's good to hear what others say to help formulate your own opinions thanks guys.

Have you looked into Coast Guard or National Guard?

There are so many options available for physical challenges. Please look into all your options. I am not anti military, however, I come from a military family and have seen the lengths that people go through to get out once they realized they have made the wrong decision.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would go with AF. USMC is too much about killing. Btw, I am an old Army ROTC guy.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but joining the armed forces when you don't agree with what they do, purely because you want the money seems pretty dishonest (not quite the right word, but I can't come up with a better one) to me.

I could never do it, no matter how much money it was - because I would not be prepared to go into active service, I don't agree with the control and structure and I don't agree with what they do.

So for me, it would be a no brainer but its something you can only decide for yourself.
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    Because you don't really have to put your life in danger and they pay better than the Marines.

Pay is based on rank not service so an E-5 in all the branches makes the same. Pay will very depending on location and special circumstance. For example if you are in combat you get combat pay if you get a housing allowance in are next to boston you will get more money then someone getting housing allowance in jacksonville NC. The amount of danger will be based on your job. In regards to the USMC is too much about killing. Again based on your job. If you are a grunt ofcourse you are going to kill more then a supply man but your other choice in that case is to die yourself. I really think you would be better served to go in the coast guard and utilize their assistance for school. You would still have job security and get a good education. I have know a few coasties good people good service. Really there is not a bad service out there but in your situation I would look into that.
  • ladycomix
    ladycomix Posts: 104
    Options
    With the Marines...remember they are justifiably proud of the fact that their rear lines are the front lines for others.

I was in the army for 5.5 years. You need to be as hard as the guys - do as much, carry your own weight, keep going. EVEN IF you sign up for an MOS that's mostly sitting work, you have to be able to perform as well as the males. You all depend on each other to get the mission done.

This ain't a physical challenge. It's a promise- the physical aspects are just one part of that. Be ready to keep that promise or you'll be miserable.
  • dcarreno
    Options
    A picture is worth a thousand words and my profile pic say that even 22 years later I am proud to call myself a Marine. If you even have to debate it the answer is no. Make no mistake it will be the hardest thing you have ever done. If you are confused perhaps it is not about joining the marines, because if you even thought about it for one minute you would realize it is not about the education that you receive in a school, but about the eduacation that a life changing grasp of the eagle globe and anchor in your hand at graduation and a multitude of friends which no college can ever give you. God speed in your debate!!!