Runners with dogs...

Hello all!

I have a large Doberman who accompanies me on most of my runs. I've started training for a half marathon (in December) and was just curious about how far other runners let their dogs go with them!

So far, my guy has ran up to 6 miles with me and loves it! (To be honest, his love for the long runs is rather inspiring, haha =)

So, how far do YOU run with your dog and what extra loving do you give him/her for being a good training partner?

Replies

• scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    I have a lab mix and to be honest I stopped running with her recently. I live near the mountains and run on hilly terrain in the woods for pretty long distances and I noticed that she wasn't really enjoying our runs anymore. Last week she flat out refused to run down a hill with me, I guess she didn't want to run back up. I still take her on walks and some short runs, but anything longer than 5k she stays at home. I think it depends on the dog though. My dog is more of a short sprinter kind of dog rather than a distance runner.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Years ago I ran the mountains with my Dobie. She pulled me up the mountains for runs up to 9 miles. The weather ended up keeping her from going longer.

Some Dobie's have genetic heart issues. You may want to have your Vet take a good listen to her heart.

Now that it's cooling down, I'll be running some of my current dogs again. Summer is a killer time here in AZ for the dogs.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I think it depends on the dog. My boy loves to run with me when I ride my bike but he gets pretty exhausted after about half a mile and we go slowly for him. He's short and stocky so that might have something to do with it. XD

But if your pup loves it then go for it! Fun!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    I'd be guided by him. If he's enjoying it, keen and willing, don't worry about it. When i was running decent distances i used to take my dog (a jack Russell) on my short runs, but not on my long ones.

I do agree about getting his heart, and perhaps his hips, checked over.
  • faithog
    faithog Posts: 76
    Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to see that some others out there enjoy having a 4-legged running partner too =)

I have my dog's heart/ hips/ pretty much everything else checked by a vet annually. (They know he is a runner and they take great care of him)!

AZTrailRunner, I hear ya about the dessert heat! We've been running LATE at night to avoid the hot pavement... good luck getting out there with your pups!