bike riding

ive just started riding my bike to work which is 9 klm either way. now im not sure is that a good time a slow time or a fast time and how accurate is the cals burnt during this time. as today it said i burnt 1500 cals doin 90 minutes of riding. is true or does it depend on the person doin it. now 1 hour of that was at pretty quick pace and the other half hour was at slow pace. in the mornings i ride 6klm with my son and it takes 15-20 minutes. then i ride 4-5 in 10 minutes by myself. and same in afternoons. only today i did a extra 12klm 6 slow with my son and 6 fast without my son???????how accurate is the cals burnt during this time

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Take your HR manually a few times during your ride. Average it and enter it here:

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

That calculator is accurate to within 15 calories according to people with heart rate monitors. :)
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Bear, no offense but your post is kinda hard to read. Calories burned will vary depending on sex, age, weight, fitness level, etc. Your 1500 calories burned for 90 minutes is realistic, again depending on speed, age, weight, ect.

If you looking for more specific measurements of calories burned you should look at a quality heart rate monitor that you can program to you specifically, sex, height, weight, age.
  • lango6
    lango6 Posts: 15 Member
    You should simply choose the cardio exercise from the list that matches your overall average kph. Alternatively you could log each segment separately using the relevant average kph to see if that provides a fairer (more accurate) accounting of calories burned. On rides where I average 16-20 mph, I burn around 1,000 cal/hr based on my current weight. I'd guess from your username and picture that you weigh more than I do, so your calorie burn is likely higher per unit of effort. The entries you make by choosing from the cardio list will be adjusted based on your current weight (assuming you've entered it in your profile or have logged your current weight). I've checked them against other sources and they seem to be fairly accurate.

It really isn't that hard assuming you can measure you average speed. I have a smartphone with a GPS and an electronic speedometer on my bike. I use both to reach a reliable time, distance, route, and average speed. I can't tell from your description whether you have a device to measure your distance and time, so if you don't you will need to be able to determine both measures to get an accurate average. Following a known route and getting accurate start/stop times will suffice.
  • 25 minutes to ride 9klm.......not sure on how to work out what speed i would be doin but am guessing around 20-25kph. and yeah have put weight in and thats the number it comes up with when i put it in the exersice bit of this program. i do weight a fair bit (138kg) but am physically fit as i do a very physical job everyday that involves a lot of heavy lifting and walking long distances pushing trolleys with anywhere between 20kg and 120 kg on each trolley (im a delivery driver for frozzen foods- meat products) i tested my heart rate a few times when finished my ride home and its always between 130-150 bpm so hope its doin something as i dont seem top be losing much weight.
  • Take your HR manually a few times during your ride. Average it and enter it here:

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

That calculator is accurate to within 15 calories according to people with heart rate monitors. :)

just tried that thanks and yeah its the same as this site is sayin thanks again
  • You should simply choose the cardio exercise from the list that matches your overall average kph. Alternatively you could log each segment separately using the relevant average kph to see if that provides a fairer (more accurate) accounting of calories burned. On rides where I average 16-20 mph, I burn around 1,000 cal/hr based on my current weight. I'd guess from your username and picture that you weigh more than I do, so your calorie burn is likely higher per unit of effort. The entries you make by choosing from the cardio list will be adjusted based on your current weight (assuming you've entered it in your profile or have logged your current weight). I've checked them against other sources and they seem to be fairly accurate.

It really isn't that hard assuming you can measure you average speed. I have a smartphone with a GPS and an electronic speedometer on my bike. I use both to reach a reliable time, distance, route, and average speed. I can't tell from your description whether you have a device to measure your distance and time, so if you don't you will need to be able to determine both measures to get an accurate average. Following a known route and getting accurate start/stop times will suffice.

and as for my username mate ive had that since i was 7 years old so be a little nicer next time and i was in no way a fat kid would have run circles around u when i was younger