Exercise for People with bad knees?

Options
Does anyone have any creative ideas for cardio exercises suitable for those of us with bad knees? I don't just mean a bit creaky, I mean really bad.........my right knee was smashed up in a car crash 20 years ago.

I already swim and do aquafit. In the gym I can manage the bike, rower and cross trainer but only with the resistance quite low. I have tried various classes but they just don't suit me. Basically anything which involves putting my body weight through the knees (e.g. squats) or running is a total no no because it is either very painful or my knee just gives way.

Replies

• michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i'm wondering the same thing
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Boxing or sparring is a great cardio workout using the upper body and doesn't have to put any stress on your knees at all. It's fun and will let you punch off some steam too! :)
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Boxing or sparring is a great cardio workout using the upper body and doesn't have to put any stress on your knees at all. It's fun and will let you punch off some steam too! :)

Great thanks for that.......I'll try it out on my husband this evening! lol
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Swimming or cycling!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i also have pretty crappy knees. swimming and cycling is the best way to build cardio while not putting unnecessary stress on your body and joints.

personally, i like going outside for riding my bike. and when i buy my first triathlon wet suit, i'll be at coney island beach for my swims.
  • Hova1914
    Hova1914 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    When my knees are acting up I do a series of kickboxing punches; jabs, upper cuts, cross punches and "speed bag" punches (just in the air- i dont have a speed bag!). Gets my heart rate up and inbetween those I do circuits of sit-ups with a twist, dumbbell exercises including biceps curls, lateral raises, alternating shoulder presses, triceps extensions, front raises, single arm rows. Also you might try a yoga ball/stability ball. I find it relieves my knees when doing push ups. I also love resistance bands along with my yoga ball.
    Good luck!
  • michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Great thanks for that.......I'll try it out on my husband this evening! lol

LOL...i was going to same the same thing,lol
  • hughesrj
    Options
    fitness pilates/baody balance? the aquafit sounds about the best for cardio without pressure on the knees!