5'8" - 5'9" Guys

Options
_Ben
_Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
Whats your goal weight? I picked 145 just kinda out of a hat, it was right in the middle of the BMI calculator, but now that Im within 10 pounds of that goal, Im seeing I have a lot more than 10 pounds I still want to lose. Im adding in strength training into my workout now, but I still feel like I need to lose this fat. So what is your goal weight? And if you are at that weight, could you please post photos? Just trying to get a better idea

Replies

• mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am going for 180. Are you sure you want to weight less than 150? Is it windy where you live? :)
  • sarahlucydaynes26
    Options
    I know I am not a `Guy` lol but my goal was 140 and I chose 137 - 145 as a barrier incase you fluctuate x
    Add weights as that helps and run. To lose the fat if your`e not happy.
    I have toned with my dvd but unsure how `guys` work out and notice the difference over 2 weeks apparently according to my friends -
    Good luck! x
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I am going for 180. Are you sure you want to weight less than 150? Is it windy where you live? :)

agreed!! the BMI is not a good measure AT ALL for suggested weight range...our bodies are all different. a 5'8 guy would look very, very,very thin at 150 lbs, let alone less than that...but go with how you feel :-) I am 5'10 and at 170, I wanted to push for 165 but my doctor forced me not to...and so did my family as I just wouldn't look 'right'....which means I need to tone, regardless :-)
  • Semperfione
    Options
    I hope to be 185 for my main goal drop....but down deep I hope some day to be at 155-165....I would be so happy to hit that mark, and with a little help from above someday it will happen. Wish you all much success.
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I picked 74kg (164 pounds) because I was 79kg (174 pounds) and thought it'd bring me into my healthy BMI blah blah. I know the BMI thing is crap but I just used that as a first goal. I'm just shy of reaching this goal but think I'll have to re-evaluate. Still have a bit of a gut and would like to trim it down some but think a bit more strength exercises will help with that.
  • _Ben
    Options
    I started at 184, definitely way to heavy. My goal is to to get lean, and then add muscle on top. I still have a gut I want to lose, and so I can build abs
  • jsuhandy_17
    jsuhandy_17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining my weight at 195. I am 5'10 with a wide shoulders. I experienced the 175 weight when I was sick with pneumonia and friends kept saying I was a scary skinny. So I packed on muscle (a little fat as well) to come back. Think about your body frame before dropping too much because BMI is deceiving and usually does not factor in you body type.
  • pjbercot
    pjbercot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and currently on may way back to Wrestling and Marine Corp weight of 175. Wife wants me to stay above 180 :). I am broad shouldered and looked really sickly like Jsuhandy_17 when I got below 170. I also read a few of you talking about a slight gut. That has way more to do with diet than loosing a few extra lbs. My approach is to circuit train hard and to run even harder. Figure the rest will take care of itself.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and chose 155 for a goal weight. Now that I've been on this site, it has corroborated changes I'm seeing in muscle loss.
    I'm now going for changes in inches, rather than losing weight and gaining more muscle with strength training.
    I'm watching what I eat so I make more muscle, not more fat.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" with a broad frame. At my lowest I've been 160lbs and everybody said I looked ill even though I was still more than 7lbs heavier than my BMI suggested as the upper limit.

I'm currently 204lbs trying to get down to 175lbs (I was ~260lbs). I have way more muscle this time around so I see 155lbs or less as impossible without losing a lot of muscle as I weigh about 160lbs at the moment if you take off all my fat.

How much you weigh at any height is down to how much fat and muscle you want to pack on, aligned with the size of your frame. There are plenty of boxers that are my height and weigh around 140lbs. So it is possible to get that low, but it is hard work to maintain if you aren't naturally that thin.

A better measure of progress is inches and percent body fat. Waist and hips should be around 30-28", chest is dependant on build. Body fat percentage, for me, should be between 8% (if you want cut abs) rising to 15", with 20% as the maximum. BAI uses both the hips to waist ratio and body fat percentage to guide you, it is far better than BMI as a measure of body heath.
  • _Ben
    Options
    Overweight.jpg

Here is a pic of me at 184. As you can tell, not the right weight for me
  • Babalaila
    Options
    I was 74 kilos (162 pounds) last year...have droped down to 68 kilos(150 pounds). Have still got a lot of fat to lose around the stomach, but am lean on the shoulders, biceps and chest.

My aim is to get the six pack....started my third week of instanity...find it much easier with less weight...but it seems like I have still got a long way to visably see the six pack!.

Anybody in the same position as me?
  • mcvc
    mcvc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Shootin for 175 here. My issue is I'm all legs so I carry it all in my gut. Stuck at 192 but I've been lifting weights as much as cardio so now I'm noticing inch's going instead of the pounds.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I aimed for 150. I'm right about that right now.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I am 5'8 with broad shoulders, I have chosen 160-155 as my goal so that I can have that V appearance from shoulders to waist. I am currently at 173.
  • _Ben
    Options
    Heres the prime example of knowing I still have weight to lose. Bicycle situps. They are at the end of my workout, and every time I look at my gut, I just think ugh, not there yet.
  • tmacmoto
    tmacmoto Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and shooting for 135 lbs....I know really small. BMI which is way off says that I can go down as low as 133 lbs. But, since all body weight can fluctuate I always play around with 5 lbs. I chose 135 as a bottom weight point to guage where 15 lbs of muscle will put me at for a total weight of 150 lbs and for 5'8" at a medium build should be good.
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and shooting for 175lbs, currently at 188-190lbs
  • CraigG75
    CraigG75 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and my ultimate goal is 200 or 195. Any less than that and I would look like I am sick or something. My body carries weight differently.
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 5'10 and when I first begin my goal weight was 180. I reached 185 and knew I needed to loose more so I changed it to 175, then changed it to 170. When I hit 170 I wanted to go to 160 but I am currently at 165-167 and have not lost nor gained any weight in nearly 2 months. I have been adding strength training and also trianing for a half marathon. I can definitely tell I have lost fat and have replaced it with some muscle. It is a slow process. Just continue strength training, it will pay off.

Congrats on your progress so far!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!