The Best Post Workout Drink

Options
Chocolate milk. Anyone else heard this? Ive researched it and googled it a thousand times and I have heard that its the most effective way to repair/recover your body/muscles after a workout! Cool right? I hope this is the case because chocolate milk is cheaper than protein shakes LOL.

Replies

• hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I keep reading this in my mag Ultra Fit! I've not tried it though as I normally just have a meal after training!!
  • juggalotus
    Options
    I LOVE chocolate milk...it's like my secret obsession! haha...I have heard this multiple times and I drink it after every workout :)
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    I keep reading this in my mag Ultra Fit! I've not tried it though as I normally just have a meal after training!!

“Chocolate milk is better than plain milk for exercise recovery because the carbohydrate to protein ratio in chocolate milk is more appropriate for muscle recovery,” Ivy said. “The ratio of carbohydrate to protein in chocolate milk is approximately 3 to 1 and we have found that this ratio speeds muscle glycogen replenishment, reduces muscle tissue breakdown and increases muscle protein synthesis. This results in a faster exercise recovery and increased rate of training adaptation.”

They say its way better than post workout supplements. Heck yeah. I wont have to spend anymore money i hope hahaha! I hope this is true.
  • siabevis
    Options
    Heres a great in depth article that explains it a little more.. anyone else know anything bout this?? im about to start doing it!!

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/247_fitness_tip.html
  • hstallings13
    Options
    I generally do choco milk with my protein shake added after mine. I really like it, it's a pretty healthy chunch of calories, but I find it to be worth it
  • siabevis
    Options
    YUMMM
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I like 1% or 2% chocolate milk, and many studies do support its use as a beneficial after work out drink.

But for me it does not provide the protein levels I personally need. I like 1 gram of protein per lean body weight, as I am working on muscle growth, while doing some leaning out. So I need just over 100 grams of protein a day.

My protein drink also has some beneficial BCAA's I like to add in my post workout. Chocolate milk does have some, but not all, I believe. (though I do also have an during workout drink that gives me those as well). I have a bit or carbs with my protein drink, usually a small fruit before I work out.

8 oz of Chocolate milk is about 8-9 grams of protein vs my protein drinks of choice which are 20-22 grams of protein per 4 ounces drink (1 scoop mixed with water)

As it is, I have a hard time always getting all my protein in. If I used Choc Milk to replace all my protein drinks, it would be even harder. So for me, not the best option. I have better weight loss, and muscle growth with higher protein levels.

But I DO drink Chocolate milk, and we always have it in the fridge. Its great when you need a chocolate and protein snack. And sometimes I even mix it with my protein powder when my protein and calories are short that day, and I donot have time to prepare anything else. It can be a great addition to a healthy diet.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    My 17 yr old son and cross country runner has been telling me for months to drink chocolate milk....I've read a few articles about it too. Apparently it's the perfect combination of carbs and protein.....all I can say is "yummmmy"!! ;)
  • Danyel723
    Options
    I heard Horizon Chocolate milk is the BEST... I just asked my fitness guru charge nurse and she said Mens Health published an article about it...
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/nutritious_foods_for_a_healthy_body/muscle_enhancer_chocolate_milk.php?page=2
  • siabevis
    Options
    I heard Horizon Chocolate milk is the BEST... I just asked my fitness guru charge nurse and she said Mens Health published an article about it...
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/nutritious_foods_for_a_healthy_body/muscle_enhancer_chocolate_milk.php?page=2

Ok hands down, this is my new post workout. No more spending hundreds on post workout supplements woohoo!
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    This is what you should ask yourself, does contain protein? Yes...does it contain a simple carb? Yes....does it taste good? Hell YES! but is it better than a protein shake? Probably not as the nutrient profile are likely to have less protein than a whey protein shake....this depends on how much you are planning to drink by the way.
  • siabevis
    Options
    This is what you should ask yourself, does contain protein? Yes...does it contain a simple carb? Yes....does it taste good? Hell YES! but is it better than a protein shake? Probably not as the nutrient profile are likely to have less protein than a whey protein shake....this depends on how much you are planning to drink by the way.

Love the name lol Peanut Butter junkie. I love me some PB tooo!
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options

That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

FunnySmile4.jpg
  • siabevis
    Options

That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

FunnySmile4.jpg
    HAHAHA!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a serious body builder, go with something low calorie. Coconut water, maybe.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of chocolate milk as a post workout drink. I don't know anything about whether it's best (due to ratios of carbs to proteins or whatever). All I know is it's got a good deal of protein and tastes great. It's also a bit filling and I'm assuming is probably better for you in larger quantities than gatorade.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    http://www.forgoodnessshakes.com/

Always have a few sitting in the fridge. Makes that last 5 minutes easier knowing I'll be having one of these soon!
  • siabevis
    Options
    Unless you are a serious body builder, go with something low calorie. Coconut water, maybe.

Love coco water!
  • siabevis
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of chocolate milk as a post workout drink. I don't know anything about whether it's best (due to ratios of carbs to proteins or whatever). All I know is it's got a good deal of protein and tastes great. It's also a bit filling and I'm assuming is probably better for you in larger quantities than gatorade.

Awesome yeah im totally convinced now lol. I know big muscular people that tell me to drink chocolate milk!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    BTW, if chocolate milk is good, I bet malted milk is even better. Love me some carnation malt powder in my milk.