Are there any other Karate people out there???

Options
At the beginning of this year I stepped way outside of my comfort zone and took up karate. It has been a great journey and one I have enjoyed, although there were days when I had to really force myself to go, I'm glad I have done so.

I have developed an absolute LOVE of karate, I entered my first tournament a couple of weeks ago and I'm totally and irrevocably hooked now. Its been a great form of exercise for me, has given me focus and drive to stay on track with my weight loss and fitness, and for me personally it has increased my self confidence ten fold!

Is there anyone else out there that studies and enjoys karate this much? What style do you do? I'd like to get a group going where we can all support each other in our efforts. I have a National tournament coming up next month and any tips, help, ideas are always welcome :)

Replies

• Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Enjoy, I have done martial arts for 15 years. I'm been out of it now for about 6 years and because of you I may have to go back.
  • phoebeeinwonderland
    Options
    HI!
    I am doing Karate, currently have the purple belt, and I enjoy it SO MUCH! I have found it it is my favorite sport, not only because I love the movements but also the philosophy behind it. If you ever want to talk Karate..just message me! I'd love to exchange experiences!

I'm doing Shotokan Karate, but the classical way. How about you? I hope you are still on here!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Taekwondo has been my "gateway drug" to physical fitness and a healthier lifestyle.

I started in April 2010 when I was at my highest weight - 347 pounds... within about two weeks I realized that I had finally found a physical activity that I liked and thought I could stay with.

I was really lousy at it at first, but have great instructors. Slowly I started to become more fit, the pounds started to drop off and I began progressing through the ranks in our system.

Today, I've dropped a total of 54 pounds, I'm eating healthy foods, I'm now running as well and I am heading toward my Black Belt testing in June of this year.

Without martial arts, who knows where I would be... I can truly say it has changed my life.

Ted
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I started Karate last week also. Did Tae Kwon Do many years ago for a while and enjoyed that but because of life circumstances didn't manage to stick at it. So far the exercises I'm doing in class are virtually identical to the ones I remember in Tae Kwon Do. I think Martial Arts are a great way of getting all-round fit and strong.

Anybody else doing martial arts here feel free to add me as a friend.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I used to practice ****o Ryu, and studied for about 4 years or so. I competed at State and National levels, but then stopped after too many injuries. I did enjoy it a lot. But after I stopped competing, I switched to a more traditional kung fu school.

For me, tournaments were all about being focused but relaxed. I was always relatively lousy at kata, but did well in sparring. I always took a few minutes before to listen to some music, calm down, and get warmed up. The key is just to try to enjoy it and do your best. Also, try not to dislocate your big toe in the round before the championship fight. It hurts!

Edit: Holy cow! It bleeped out the name of my style! Awesome!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Cool thanks. I've joined that group now. Didn't actually realise there's different groups here. So double thanks :happy: