HRM (heart rate monitor) Help Please

Options
I am interested in purchasing a GOOD Heart Rate Monitor but do not know much about them. Can anyone suggest one? Thank you!!

Replies

• MrsCallas
    Options
    I am interested in purchasing a GOOD Heart Rate Monitor but do not know much about them. Can anyone suggest one? Thank you!!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    The Polar series seems to be really popular here.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    The F4 Polar Women's HRM. Here it is at Dik's (MFP doesn't let me spell that word with the c in it) Sporting Goods: http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1968457 It's $89.99. I've had mine for 4 weeks. Polar is the best HRM brand out there I've been told. This model is the least expensive one offered that calculates your cals burned as you work out, and you can watch it climb from your wrist watch. Good luck! I love mine!

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MrsCallas
    Options
    The Polar series seems to be really popular here.

Thanks! That was what I was thinking. :smile:
  • MrsCallas
    Options
    The F4 Polar Women's HRM. Here it is at Dik's (MFP doesn't let me spell that word with the c in it) Sporting Goods: http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1968457 It's $89.99. I've had mine for 4 weeks. Polar is the best HRM brand out there I've been told. This model is the least expensive one offered that calculates your cals burned as you work out, and you can watch it climb from your wrist watch. Good luck! I love mine!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love that it will not let you spell it. That is the model that I was looking at getting. Is it something that works all day or only when you are working out? Thanks for the help!! I am excited about getting one!!:happy:
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I haven't used mine on an all-day basis, only when I work out. I'm sure you could use it all day, but (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe that when we do our settings on here in the beginning MFP automatically takes into consideration an average of how many cals we burn in a given day. From there, any exercise cals are only what we use to deduct so to speak.

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    The HRMs are fun and I agree that the polar series is pretty popular and has a good reputation. One thing to keep in mind though is the F6 is a bit more$$$ but its coded, whereas I don't believe the F4. That basically means that the watch recieving your heart rate is coded to YOUR strap only and will not pick up other nearby HRM at the GYM. I also believe it allows you to set 3 different target HR (a low, medium, and high). You can wear it all day and its' interesting to see how many calories you actually burn, however, I think all HRM are slight underestimations of calories burned because they will may stop if your skin is not moist enough but will pick back up again after just a short while. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway-I second kendallalissa's promotion of the Polar HRM. GOOD LUCK
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The F4 is coded. My husband looked it up for me =D

Also...your skin has to be moist in order for it to work? I don't get that moist on my wrist area.
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    From the Polar Website:

F4
    At a GlanceFull FeaturesFor disappearing caloriesFor you who want to get a fitter body by knowing how many calories you have burned. The small and simple F4 gives you accurate information and motivates you to reach your targets.
    See how many calories you have burned Get interference-free data with coded heart rate transmission Helps you keep the intensity you want
  • MrsCallas
    Options
    Thank you ladies! That is why I love this site.... everyone is so eager to help! Thank you again! You have been such a help! Heres to you!! :drinker:
  • mrazc01
    mrazc01 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just bought the FT 80 by Polar. I love it. You actually just need to moisten the chest strap before you use it. The reading doesn't come from your wrist. Polar also has a free personal training website that you can synch up you wrist module up with. The FT 80 actually allows you to track your weight lifting as well. The HRM is more accurate than the exercise calorie counter on this site. I.E. In an 75 mins I burned off 971 calories according to my HRM and the website said I burned off about 1300. Big difference when you are counting your calories.

BTW, do not trust the calorie counters on the machines at gym. They were off by around 30% as well.

Good luck.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Reebok Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor w/Chest Strap

List Price: See Details $119.99
    You Save: (75%) $90.00

Our Price: $29.99
    Shipping: FREE

Buy.com Total Price: $29.99

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208386268

Just bought mine yesterday.. I heard it is worth the 30 bucks!!
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've read for the Polar HR when the battery dies you have to send the whole transmitter back in to have it replaced or something like that . Is that true?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Reebok Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor w/Chest Strap

List Price: See Details $119.99
    You Save: (75%) $90.00

Our Price: $29.99
    Shipping: FREE

Buy.com Total Price: $29.99

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208386268

Just bought mine yesterday.. I heard it is worth the 30 bucks!!

I love mine.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I ordered that Reebok one from Buy.com yesterday.

From what I've read, the good monitors all cost at least $100 or more and I just wasn't willing to spend that. But I figured a cheap, inaccurate HRM was worse than no HRM!

Thanks to everyone who posted that link!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Which HRMs have a watch display that looks proportional on a woman's wrist? Most of them have big clunky watches. I also want it to be coded to the chest strap. And the option to wear it all day and have it record, not just when HR gets over 100 would be nice too.