Spinning with knee pain advice

Options
BondBomb
BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
I love spin class. But I have avoided it for the last couple of months because it kills my knee. I tried taking an alleve before class. I usually can't finish the full hour. Then for the next day or 2 my knee is really stiff and sore. Even with icing and heating. Any advice that will allow me to keep taking the class? Knee braces? Anything?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Are you doing too much resistance? It sounds like maybe a nagging injury that needs rest.
  • VLGmom
    VLGmom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Work with your instructor. Maybe they have suggestions about your bike setup that would help.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    specialized and im sure other companies also make foot shims that go in your shoe that help with getting your knee in the right spot ........http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=57642
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Go to an orthopedist. Get a full run down on the knee. Then listen to their advice.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
    Doctor: Than don't do that.

Seriously though, as a biker who has dealt with knee pain, I have two suggestions that I hope are applicable to spinning (I've never actually used a stationary bike). One is to make sure your seat is high enough so you have a good range of motion. The other is to use foot retention straps and to focus on pulling up rather than pushing down.
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't spin but I do ride a stationary bike. Both my knee's are jacked up but I had to go real slow every monthI wento up one level now I'm up to level 6 for 25 min of a 40 min ride. Don't give up just back down!