Thighs Thighs Go Away!!

Most of my weight is carried in my lower half...I am the wonderful Pear.

Currently I work out 3-5 times a week (3 of that with a personal trainer) I am losing inches, but hardly any in my thighs...like an 1/8th of an inch every 2 weeks....COME ON already...I am so tired of squats and step ups and more squats I could scream!

I did just buy Jillians new buns & thighs...gonna start that next week.

SO-What is your best thigh exercise to help with losing some inches?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce. You can tone by doing the exercises you've been doing but you won't lose the fat in your thighs until your body is ready. For those of us who store most of our weight there, it'll be one of the last places to go. I know I've only lost about an inch from my thighs in 7 months and 15 pounds (but 3 inches from my waist). It's definitely frustrating but it's the way I was made so I'm learning to live with it.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    I swear by lunges, all kinds of lunges, plus, the bike, walking, running......

I'm posting my blog, so you can see some of the home workouts I do to help with my butt and thighs. Hopefully you will find one or some useful. Good luck!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bry_all01
  • laurabossart
    laurabossart Posts: 11 Member
    Yes, it's so difficult to lose the weight in the thighs. For me, the weight comes off from the top down, eventually hitting the legs. But watch out, if I gain any weight back it starts from the bottom and works its way up. It's so frustrating!
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    I've given up on trying to make my thighs smaller!!! I have an hourglass shape and yes those thighs are BUURRRUUTTAAALLLL. At this point, I just want them strong and toned. I started running several months ago and they have become quite strong. Interestingly enough, once I gave in to the fact that they are what they are I noticed I get lots of compliments on my legs now....the power of positive thinking I guess.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    I noticed the biggest difference while LOSING weight and not so much exercise. Like someone else said, you can not spot reduce; you need to lose weight in general and then tone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member

Currently I work out 3-5 times a week (3 of that with a personal trainer) I am losing inches, but hardly any in my thighs...like an 1/8th of an inch every 2 weeks....COME ON already...I am so tired of squats and step ups and more squats I could scream!

Consistent calorie deficit with good strength training and cardio. That's really it. There's no shortcut.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member

Consistent calorie deficit with good strength training and cardio. That's really it. There's no shortcut.

yes, and eating better always helps - I knew I forgot something. :bigsmile:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I started riding a bike for tri training and I've dropped 2" in each thigh in just over a month. :) I have to tell you I feel it in the inside and back top (just below my rear) and that's exactlly where I want it to go away from!

Good luck
  • Yeah, everyone is right.... don't even try to spot reduce. The best thing to do is cut calories like you need to to lose weight, lift weights, do plenty of cardio. If you don't have any more reserves up top, then your body will use the reserves from the bottom! I'm the famous pear too!!! I can wear a S-XS top once I've lost weight, but my butt is still an 8 or so. I have gotten into a 6, but that takes a LOT Of work!

I'm working now to get back into a 6 pants 8 jeans and hoping to get into a 4 (pant suit that is) Jeans are an awful guage too. They are never right!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Hello, fellow pear! I've had to learn to live with larger hips and thighs. All I can do is make them more firm, and maybe lose a bit more fat, but I will always be a pear.
  • I been doing spin class and it has help mine..
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Cardio and strength training with consistency. There is no "spot treatment". It's like an onion, just keep at it and the layers will come off. Slow progress is 9384623894% better than no progress!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    As your fat decreases hopefully it'll eventually come off your thighs. Mine are still big though. :(