Contemplating P90X....

Options
So I'm thinking about starting P90X, but I want to know what others have thought of it. My boyfriend's mom did it and LOVED it, but she was also fit when she started (she's in her 40s and she's the fittest woman I know... puts me to SHAME!)

Anyway, for those of you who have done it, I would love to hear what you thought was the most challenging part of transitioning into the workout? And what was the greatest reward of doing the program?

I'm on the fence, and could use some encouragement to jump on the bandwagon! ANY insight is welcome!

Replies

• msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I would say the most challenging part is not wanting to keep up with the DVD. When you first start you have to remember you're not in shape yet, they are. So you may not be able to do all the reps they do. I pushed myself really hard and ended up not completing it when I first did it. Next time around I remembered that I need to do exactly what Tony says, Do YOUR best and forget the rest.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it but have heard it is a pretty intense workout. I have done P90 (copped out before the 90 days was up but made it just over 40 days) and I started doing the P90 Master Series...my plan is to work my way up to P90X eventually :smile:
  • DKLinDeutschland
    Options
    We bought it last year and it will wipe you out! Plyometrics almost made me barf it was so intense. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's really easy to just not do. If you're really self motivated, go for it! I think I'm just a go-to-the-gym type person.

I do have to add though that Ab-Ripper X is one of the exercise DVDs I still use all the time. Best 15 minute ab workout ever.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    as previously mentioned, you need to be self motivated. i have the whole set, but i just use the dvd's whenever i feel like changing up my routine and working out at home instead of going to the gym. i still use the plyos and ab ripper on a regular basis. i'd say the only bad thing about P90X is that you need equipment (pullup bar, weights/resistance bands) to do it.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So I'm thinking about starting P90X, but I want to know what others have thought of it. My boyfriend's mom did it and LOVED it, but she was also fit when she started (she's in her 40s and she's the fittest woman I know... puts me to SHAME!)

Anyway, for those of you who have done it, I would love to hear what you thought was the most challenging part of transitioning into the workout? And what was the greatest reward of doing the program?

I'm on the fence, and could use some encouragement to jump on the bandwagon! ANY insight is welcome!

If you're in decent shape, do it. it's a great workout.

If you're not, get in better shape first.
  • sm26davis
    Options
    I loved it to!! It challenges you! I felt great after doing the workouts. I would say the most challenging thing for me may have been finding an hour to do it every day and push ups! I hate push ups!!!! im going to start it again next week! I had a baby and want to get going on losing the weight!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I love P90X. I wasn't fit when I began it. I could barely jog on the treadmill for 5 minutes straight. P90X kicked me into gear. Also, it has made me venture outside of my comfort zone. <
    that avatar pic is of me doing my 2nd mud run. P90X got me to the point that I wanted to try other fitness programs, 5K races, and mud runs.
  • mdm3
    mdm3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There's a group of us that just started on October 1. You can check out our progress at the following link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/356192-p90x-90-day-challenge-october-1
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I did P90X this past spring and loved it. I had been working out regular cardio wise (mostly biking and running) but learned that I had lost all my muscle when I had my RMR tested. So I bought the P90x DVDs and it was intense. I had to start out slowly but after first month I was able to keep up with most of it (never did a Dreya Roll 100%).

I felt it helped get me ready for Crossfit which is what I did this summer. Without that basis from P90x, I wouldn't have survived the first week!

The main thing is to stay committed and energized when you are doing it on your own. Its easy to skip a dvd but it will catch up with you if you do!

Bottomline, highly recommend!
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    if you have enough discipline to work out at home, do it.
    I did it in the morning for months and really enjoyed it. On one hand it seems really challenging, esp. watching in shape people do it, on the other hand, to watch them is motivating since you probably wouldn't work as hard without feeling the need to at least try to keep up AND - watching fit people can sometimes remind you that this is how you are going to get fit too!
    i rotate thru different workout regimes to keep myself from getting bored and skipping workouts.
    i think P90X is a great addition to the repertoire!
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    I am in the process now of doing P90X. I am currently on week 9. When I started, I was overweight - technically obiese. Week one was very, very, very hard. I almost gave up, but I got my mind right and pushed through. Plyo-metrics almost killed me the first time I did it. I remember thinking there is no way I can do this, but I pressed on. Now I am 16.5lbs lighter, I have put on tons of muscle. My arms and chest are way bigger than they have ever been. I went from a pot belly to a 4 pack, all in just 2 months. I hope to have a full 6 pack when all is said and done (still got some love handles to get rid of, grrrrr!). I will say, to get the results you want, you have to do more than work out, especially if you want abs. You have to eat right! Diet is everything. Currently there isn't a single video I can't keep up with Tony and the gang on. I still have 5 more weeks to go. Can't wait to see how I feel and look then. The key is to get your mind right. Also, if you have a friend get them to do it with you, especially at the begining. Having someone to work out with will help you "push through" that initial hurdle of "this is to hard" or "there is no way I can do this". You can, just keep hitting play, and you will be so thankfull afterwards.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I JUST started on Sunday and so far I love it. My whole body is on fire and it feels amazing. I have always been pretty strong though, and I had already finished 4.5 months of Turbo Fire. I'd say you have to be pretty athletic to be able to do it though.

There is a fit test that you take in the beginning of the program. It has requirements for P90X, so maybe you can do the fit test to see if your ready? You can download it here: http://trek2befit.com/p90x-worksheets-p90x-binder-p90x-excel-spreadsheet
  • eracman
    eracman Posts: 22
    Options
    Three things to consider when going the P90X route. I just started my second month of P90X and this is what I personally have found:

1. Time. Expect to spend at least 1 - 1 1/2 hours working out 6 days a week. I went from doing P90 original (30-45 min) to P90X and it was definitely a commitment. You will need to be diligent about planning out your day so you have that time to work out 6 days a week.
    2. Nutrition. I have heard it from everyone that has done it or is doing it that the nutrition portion is CRUCIAL to getting good results. You can't just "sort of" do it and expect the results that they advertise. You may get more fit but your results won't "look" as dramatic. And after all you work out to look good too right? The peole who get the good results got there because they were serious about changing how they ate and sticking to the suggested food plan (I don't mean eating exactly what they recommend but rather eat the right foods in the right preportions (i.e. right now I am on the 40/40/20 plan of protein/carbs/fat). The 1st month was 50/30/20. Etc
    3. Fitness level. To really bring it to the program you should have a general level of fitness before starting it. That doesn't mean you have to be fit but at least used to exercising and pushing yourself. You can look up onlne what the fitness test is and see where you stand. If you can handle most of the requirements then you should be fine. You don't have to pass all but you should be able to do most. Note though that even if you can pass all the fitness tests, it will still be hard but that is o.k. I passed all the tests except for flexibility and there were still some workouts I really struggled with at the beginning. As I said, that is ok.

If you are committed to working out to get results, and tracking your food (which you probably do since you are here) then I would say go for it.

If you do, I would be happy to support you and give you an help you might need.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Its a nice program to loose fat and get into shape. If You stick to clean eating and do P90X You will loose fat and get stronger.
    Completed P90X and felt great. Started another round but felt abit too bored from same old and it felt like a grind so stopped it and joined a gym.
    I recommend it even if You are not that fit just push play and do the workouts.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My .02...

I need a spoon fed program like P90X. Something that takes the thinking out of doing work. Just show up with my intensity, push play and let the transformation begin. When I go to the gym or do my own thing...I tend wander and drift as there was no detailed plan or system to follow.

My wife and I just completed our first round of P90X. She lost a bit over 20 pounds and I found my missing/hidden abs! :-)
    She is moving on to Insanity and I just started round 2 of P90X. This time doing more of a bulking cycle (so no plyo or other serious cardio cal burning routines).

The first week should be taken a bit easy...just the fact that you're Pressing Play is an accomplishment. Don't be affraid to modify, but challenge yourself. As for many, when we start to modify we lose our intensity level and get satisified with sub par performances. Even if you can only do 1 of the exercise do it...as each time you do that one, you are getting stronger and soon will be able to do 2, then 3, etc...

For the most optimal results, you need to follow the nutrition plan as well. You will still see results without following the plan, but will really see the difference if you do. Nutirition is key with any program.

Be sure to take your rest day and do the Yoga...and Stretching!

The feeling of accomplishment once you reach that 90 day mark is incredible and gets your fire burning...so if there are still some progress to be made after P90X, you have the drive internally to tackle them.

Keep pressing play and BRING IT!

Cheers!
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the advice; I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I really like what you guys have to say. And I am proud to say that over the last two months I have become a dedicated at-home exerciser! I quit my gym because I felt it was a waste of money. :) I honestly could not have even contemplated doing this before that.

I'm excited about the idea of starting this. Thanks again!!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Awesome! If you need a friend, feel free to add me! I JUST started on Sunday :)