What is a good heart rate monitor that tells calories burned

Options
I've heard a lot about HRM's lately and I'm really considering getting one because sometimes I'm not so sure the exercises on here are very exact. Does anyone know of a dependable one that won't cost me an arm and a leg?!
Thanks!

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    define arm and leg. ;)

I have a Suunto T3d that I love. Does everything I need it to do. Whatever you decide, get one with a chest strap. The wrist ones are not reliable.
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kaybrose730
    kaybrose730 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I want to know too! Lol
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. It was around 120 but soooo very worth it. There's also a Polar FT4 which is suppose to be just a good and a little less expensive.
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I agree...make sure you get one with a chest strap...I have a Polar FT4 and I love it! It tells calories burned which is very convenient. It is a little pricy...I think i paid $70 for mine at Target, but if you want to go this route i'm sure you can find it cheaper on Amazon or ebay. Good luck :)
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. It was around 120 but soooo very worth it. There's also a Polar FT4 which is suppose to be just a good and a little less expensive.

This! My husband got the FT7 on sale at Sports Authority for $100 and if you spend even just a little time online, you CAN find even better prices on these HRMs.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Good topic. So this will track calories burnt even when lifting weights correct? I try to HITT style lifting so this might work well.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    suunto, polar, timex

i've used suunto and timex. i swear by timex though i hear positive things about polar. as for suunto, my first HRM was a suunto and it worked great for a while. then the chest strap started having problems even after battery changes and troubleshooting basics. my timex has "run" pretty well for the time being.
  • deathstarclock
    Options
    Good topic. So this will track calories burnt even when lifting weights correct? I try to HITT style lifting so this might work well.

Not really. As these exercise bouts do not last very long, your heart rate does not keep up with the oxygen deficit. I've tried and been advised.

Edit: Your heart rate does not keep up with the oxygen deficit quick enough for it to register on your watch computer.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    define arm and leg. ;)

I have a Suunto T3d that I love. Does everything I need it to do. Whatever you decide, get one with a chest strap. The wrist ones are not reliable.

Exactly! My Garmin 310XT is the most accurate one I've had and I've been through four! It is pretty spendy though.....

My second favorite for strictly calorie counting was my Polar Ft7. Much less spendy.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT40 after reading a lot of reviews and researching. It was pricey. I spent $165 on it. I personally purchased mine from REI because hey have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If at any time I don't like it for any reason at all (or if it doesn't work properly, etc) I can return it for a refund or exchange. So far, I am impressed with it. Locally, we have a sporting goods store called Big 5. They run a lot of sales on HRMs. Personally, I am a member at REI and the return policy is one that couldn't be beat and they carried the one I wanted. It worked out well for me.

Best of luck!
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Not really. As these exercise bouts do not last very long, your heart rate does not keep up with the oxygen deficit. I've tried and been advised.

Edit: Your heart rate does not keep up with the oxygen deficit quick enough for it to register on your watch computer.
    Sorry I have to clarify. I do more interval training and my heart rate is up the whole time. Maybe too high as you describe? But it's about 30 - 40 min of exercises.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. I also splurged for the Flowlink which uploads my data to PolarPersonalTrainer.com. Both together cost me around $160 or so.
  • overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • deathstarclock
    Options
    Sorry I have to clarify. I do more interval training and my heart rate is up the whole time. Maybe too high as you describe? But it's about 30 - 40 min of exercises.

Can you describe your HIIT program to me? Just so I can have a fundamental understanding. I have a book on HRM training and there is a section that notes the ineffectiveness of HRMs during resistance training.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Can you describe your HIIT program to me? Just so I can have a fundamental understanding. I have a book on HRM training and there is a section that notes the ineffectiveness of HRMs during resistance training.

I don't even know how to call it. I don't base my workouts on any specifc program. ie.. yesterday, I did this:

bench press 10 rep + pull ups 10 reps, jump ups onto a bench(all right after another) = 1 set. Repeat 3 times

barbell flat bench 10 reps + barbell lat pulls 10 reps + lunges = 1 set . Repeat 3 times.

barbell flys 10 reps + pullups (front grip) 10 reps + toe taps to a bench 10 reps each leg = 1 set. Repeat 3 times.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5i2rHaHTXA Hope solo doing these to a medicine ball.

I don't know if this is the right way/wrong way. But last night I was dripping sweat doing this and out of breath at the end of each set.